GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Suspension noise problems! argh!

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/05 | 07:57 AM
Bullitt Member

So the mechanic at my dealership is a short bus rider and has determined that my "bumping noise" in my right front suspension is caused by my aftermarket spring.

IDIOT!!!!!! arrrgghhhhh!!!!

exactly WHY did the same exact noise happen before the car was lowered then? My salesman and the service department got into it yesterday about this... my salesman knows this noise has been happening since the car was about 1 week old. They swear the noise is from the suspension bottoming out and hitting the top of the car? really then why doesn't it happen on the drivers side where there is more weight??? they also said the bottom 2 coils of the spring are compressed. Well of course they are... the darn car weighs three thousand pounds! all springs compress on the bottom coils!!! all 4 of the springs compress like that!

Now my question for you guys... what do YOU guys think it might be? It's like a low hollow bump bump noise while going over road inconsistancys at low speed. A washboard road is the worst and really brings out the noise. For imaginative purposes... it sounds like what would happen if you dropped a big metal ball on a table.

My 2 guesses:

Shock. Sounds like it might be the shock compressing all the way and bottoming out the suspension. I have been telling them this and they swear it isn't the shock? i beg to differ.

Upper Control Arm. i read somewhere that this is a really crappy design and is only held on by one bolt. Where exactly is this located? Sounds like it is the cause in a lot of "suspension bump" cases in other cars.

The unfortunate easy (or not so much) solution would be to take the car back, replace the springs back to stock, and take it back again... and they would be forced to determine the REAL cause. But i SO wish i wouldn't have to spend so much time doing this.
Old 8/31/05 | 08:10 AM
Cobra Member

The noise sounds familiar, I've had it on my old BMW. In my case it was the shock absorbers.
Old 8/31/05 | 08:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

i have the same thing/......
thought it was the front tsb... but it wasn't....
let me know what you find out...
Old 8/31/05 | 08:25 AM
I Have No Life

Since you mention it did this before lowering it, there is a chance it is the strut bearing. However, since it only happens on the passenger side I hope they can figure it out. My car does the same thing. Passenger side front makes a single popping sound (kinda like a low thud) when I back out of my driveway with the wheels turned to the right. It is definately a metal on metal sound. Kinda like something either shifting out of place and then back into place.
Old 8/31/05 | 08:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@August 31, 2005, 10:28 AM
Since you mention it did this before lowering it, there is a chance it is the strut bearing. However, since it only happens on the passenger side I hope they can figure it out. My car does the same thing. Passenger side front makes a single popping sound (kinda like a low thud) when I back out of my driveway with the wheels turned to the right. It is definately a metal on metal sound. Kinda like something either shifting out of place and then back into place.

I have the SAME EXACT problem with my car only the clunk comes from the passenger side REAR. And it only makes the noise when, like you mentioned John, backing up with the wheels turned to the right. When I back into my driveway mine makes two(2) clunks. I've pinpointed the exact time when it makes this noise, it makes the first clunk when my right rear wheel travels over the lip of the curb into my driveway and the second noise is made when the left rear wheel reaches the lip and travels over it and into the driveway. The sounds always come from the same place, right rear. Almost sounds like it's coming from where the area just below the rear of the 1/4 window meets the trunk.

I checked and nothing loose in the trunk and mufflers are on tight.

Old 8/31/05 | 09:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have the same noise! I notice it mostly when going over the reflectors in the road. Loud thumping from front. It has the same sound that one of my previous cars had when the shocks/struts needed to be replaced. Going to have them look at this now, before I do any modifications.
Old 8/31/05 | 10:23 AM
Cobra Member

I don't know if it's bs or not, but about two months ago I took my car back to have them re-replace the front end strut bearing deal. They said that Ford had an all new kit and it was ofcourse on back order. Still haven't gotten a call that the parts are in. I told the service guy I had the TSB work done already and he claimed to be aware of that, and that there was even newer parts to be put on.

Maybe the TSB parts did not fix all the problems people are having.

Would be nice to drive my new car without old car clunking eventually.
Old 8/31/05 | 10:58 AM
Cobra R Member

hey,

I have been having a similar issue and have been hesitant to take it back to the dealer for the same reasons. I also have lowering springs on mine and I think they'll just blame everything on them, even though there are known TSB on these issues.
Old 8/31/05 | 06:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Allright, Im in too...but the rear like Blackhat.

Not backing up though, driving forward.
Over slight bumps...@ slow speeds, under 10 mph.

But the DS clunk annoys me more....not to mention the gear whine...
Old 8/31/05 | 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I, too, have the same "bumping" noise when backing up and turning the wheel to the right. Took the car into shop yesterday for new fuel tank and drivers side door handle.....mentioned the noises, they can't duplicate them!! Then found out the same fuel tank was shipped, so now have to wait for another one!! Still have the rear end shake and whine. They said Ford is researching this. We'll see what happens!!
Old 9/1/05 | 04:55 AM
Bullitt Member

I can guarantee you it is not the upper control arm making the noise, since there isn't one. Good luck getting it resolved.
Old 9/1/05 | 07:21 AM
Bullitt Member

^^ haha yea someone else enlightened me to that.

i have been considering just replacing all the shocks/struts with new aftermarket ones. I have a feeling this is going to turn into a giant PITA and i dunno if i really feel like dealing with it.
Old 9/1/05 | 02:17 PM

Hello to all

Possibly the following article helps them very much :

Old 9/1/05 | 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Already had struts replaced......that noise if fixed.....this is a very different noise......more of a bumb/thud than popping.
Old 9/2/05 | 05:40 AM

I have what sounds like the same noise coming from somewhere near the rear of the car. When I brought the car to the dealer to be fixed they said they could not make the car produce the sound I was complaining about. Ofcourse I explained to the dealer that the sound only happens on bumpy roads. However when the service yep took the car out for a test drive he drove it on a newly paved road. I think he just wanted to have some fun with my car.
Old 9/2/05 | 07:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

VERY STRANGE. I took my car out the other day, just for a short trip to gas up before prices spiked. Down the block and back. When I backed into my driveway, the clunk sound was gone! This is really strange because the last time I used my car, prior to taking it out this time, it did make the noise when I backed in to my driveway and parked. I didn't go near the car inbetween uses. When it didn't make the clunk, I backed in/out 3 more times to test it and still no noise. What gives? It's made that sound without fail for 2 months and then just vanished? I'm actually upset it's gone because I was about to bring it in to the dealer to get looked at and now I have nothing to show him. :bang: It knew. It KNEW I was going to bring it in and decided to lay low for a while.. that's it. That must be it.
Old 9/2/05 | 07:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TigerGt@September 1, 2005, 2:20 PM
Hello to all

Possibly the following article helps them very much :

if you notice in my signature... my car was obviously built after 4/8/05 and it's not the same noise
Old 9/2/05 | 11:30 PM

I'd try taking it to a different dealer... might be most time saving move...
Old 9/3/05 | 08:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I had my strut bearings fixed because of that TSB. But I still get hollow thuds/popping sounds when I drive over bumpy roads. Man, I kinda glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I'd like to know what the problem is or if this is just the way the '05's are built.