GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Superchargers=void warranty or not?

Search this Thread

Old 1/27/06, 11:14 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm soooo sorry to bring this up AGAIN. I've seen this topic come up again and again and haven't seen a real solid answer. I've read the claims that each supercharger company says - "It's illegal to void the warranty by installing an aftermarket part unless it can be proven that it caused the failure." But in the case of a SC, is is pretty much a foregone conclusion that putting one of these on is an invitation to give them an excuse to void the warranty? I mean, let's face it, if you start putting your foot in it all the time and pushing your car it's going to cause things to wear out faster...
I noticed that Roush makes some sort of claim that they will warranty things for 3 years... But they don't make one for an automatic transmission! Drat.
In any case - what's the practical implication here? Please be honest with me; if I get a SC on my GT won't I for all intent and purposes going to end up dumping my warranty in the event of some engine/transmission problem/failure?
I'm using my GT as a daily driver and would really like to get that SC not to race, but for occasional playing around on the track and having fun on onramps... But I'm NOT a gambler (as evidenced by the fact that I bought the monster extended warranty AND maint. contract...)
and want to be on the safe side - I don't want to be in court with Ford fighting a warranty dispute, especially with the only evidence being "but I read on the internet that..."
Thanks for your opinions!
Joe
Old 1/27/06, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not going to go into the much discussed issue of "voiding" a warranty either. Rather, I take the attitude that if I want to play, I better be willing to pay. If my engine or tranny lets go after I install the blower, then I better be prepared to foot the bill to fix it.
Old 1/27/06, 12:38 PM
V6 Member

It just occured to me - will I have the same issues if I install a CAI or retune/dyno?? I'd hate to think that the small mods are in the same boat! Worse yet - to think that I might void the warranty by putting on stuff that adds very little real power - eek!!
Joe
Old 1/27/06, 12:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

It won't void the warranty but can (and probably will) void particular claims.
Old 1/27/06, 01:03 PM

A CAI and a tune can be put back to factory stock in about 15 minutes... if you're really concerned about it.
Old 1/27/06, 07:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Karpro@January 27, 2006, 1:44 PM
It won't void the warranty but can (and probably will) void particular claims.

Also, if you get the Roush s/c, they pick the warranty for you (same 3year/36,000 miles).
Old 1/27/06, 07:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry, couldn't help it
Old 1/27/06, 07:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Theres certain things it wouldnt effect. But if you blow your motor or associated bits and pieces, your on your own.
Old 1/27/06, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by celticstanger@January 27, 2006, 6:11 PM

Also, if you get the Roush s/c, they pick the warranty for you (same 3year/36,000 miles).
Not 100% true... depends on who installs it and where.
Old 1/27/06, 08:19 PM
V6 Member

Any ideas why the Roush s/c isn't made for automatics? The web site say MANUAL only... All the other ones have one for autos...???

Joe
Old 1/27/06, 09:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by don_w@January 27, 2006, 8:32 PM
Not 100% true... depends on who installs it and where.
As long as it's a certified tech, you're good to go.

However, where you get your work done becomes limited.
Old 1/27/06, 09:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by albireo@January 27, 2006, 10:22 PM
Any ideas why the Roush s/c isn't made for automatics? The web site say MANUAL only... All the other ones have one for autos...???

Joe
Maybe they cant gauruntee the warantee on the autos.
Old 1/28/06, 01:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by albireo@January 27, 2006, 9:22 PM

Joe
I think it was that there was no tune, simple as that...
Old 1/28/06, 02:01 PM
Cobra Member

Just a question from a laymen when it comes to the adverse effects of a s/c on a daily driver, but, if (and I have read the post with the Roush warranty form) a drive train problem occurs with the engine whilst a Roush s/c is on, does Roush cover the OE parts and labor? (With the understanding that it was installed by a certified dealer)

I know this is similar to what "celtic" is asking but it seems to me that most people who have contributed to this topic are not really sure what will happen in the event of a problem.
Old 1/28/06, 02:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by PIKE2244@January 28, 2006, 3:04 PM
Just a question from a laymen when it comes to the adverse effects of a s/c on a daily driver, but, if (and I have read the post with the Roush warranty form) a drive train problem occurs with the engine whilst a Roush s/c is on, does Roush cover the OE parts and labor? (With the understanding that it was installed by a certified dealer)

I know this is similar to what "celtic" is asking but it seems to me that most people who have contributed to this topic are not really sure what will happen in the event of a problem.
Yes, they do.
Old 1/28/06, 03:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

If you super charge it and something breaks inside the motor, transmission, drive shaft or rear end I can guarntee you, you wont get it fixed under warranty. Now a Roush installed by a Roush dealer "May " be a different story.
The rest of your warranty wont be affected.
With the stock crank and esp rods and pistons being less than adequate for a blower, my opinion is you better have the bucks to fix it "when" it lets go, and eventually it will.
Old 1/28/06, 04:58 PM
Bullitt Member

http://www.roushperf.com/feature_rou...ger_must.shtml
Old 1/28/06, 07:05 PM
GT Member

if you have the cash to s/c it then you should have the cash to put it back to stock if you blow it up.. save your old partsssss!!!!!!! then go to ford with a claim... o yes if you s/c it keep it save at 400hp at the wheels.
Old 1/30/06, 08:16 AM

Every dealer is different. My Ford dealer will install a s/c and as long as the car is not abused, they will back the drivetrain warranty. If you change pullies or rev it to 7000 RPM, and put a rod through the block, they will not.
This dealer has done a bunch of Vortechs, Prochagers and is doing a KB in my 06. The service manager there is great to work with. They are also doing my gears and exhaust.
They will even honor extended warranty!
Old 2/10/06, 09:55 AM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(celticstanger @ January 28, 2006, 4:02 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I think it was that there was no tune, simple as that...
[/b][/quote]
I received an e-mail from Roush Performance today that states that they expect to release the ROUSHCHARGER for AUTOMATIC equipped GTs "by mid spring to summer time 2006." Roush Performance also told me this on the telephone earlier today. And, my local Ford dealer (who also is a Roush dealer and installs the Roush superchargers on customer's cars) checked with Roush about this, and was told the same thing.

For what it's worth, my local Ford dealer also told me that, when they (or another authorized Ford & Roush dealer) installs this, the factory warranty will continue to be honored. That's important to me, because I too purchased the extended warranty. That means a lot to a lot of us out there, that want extra performance without all the hassles about the warranty. And yes, having to remove a CAI and return the car to stock settings every time you take it in for inspection, routine maintenance, etc., is a BIG PAIN. Just not worth it for a lot of us, at least until after the warranty has run out.

Quick Reply: Superchargers=void warranty or not?