GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Supercharger Vs Automatic Trans. Certain Death?

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/07, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Supercharger Vs Automatic Trans. Certain Death?

I Just Installed A Whipple Supercharger w/IC On My 2005 Mustang. The Dyno Numbers Came Up Pretty Impressive. With A Custome Tune The Car Produced 433.5 Rwhp And Just Shy 400 Pounds Of Torque. All Of This Power Is Being Pumped In My Untested Little -Known -About Automatic Trans. Is My TranS Going To Be Whipple Cream? If You Can Give Me Any Advise On What To Do, Because The Speed Shop Advise Equals Big$$$.THE SAID TO BRING IT BACK IN A FEW WEEK WHEN YOU BLOW IT. THAT KINDA SCARED ME. Those Of You Who Have Installed A Supercharger Know It Will Set You Back About $7500-$8500 -Start To Finish. I Can't Afford The Smoke The TranS Yet. I Have To Deal With Traction Issues First. The Factory Rims And Tires Are not Making The Cut. ARE THESE AUTOMATIC IN THE NEW MUSTANGS JUNK OR CAN THEY HANDLE THE POWER. WHAT TO DO?
Old 2/4/07, 07:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Have heard of a few who are running over 500 RWHP with the Auto Tranny but haven't heard if they modified anything or replaced it.
DonW and 2005redgt are both running autos with SC's maybe they can chime in.
I think these autos are stronger than people think they are, but just my 2 cents.
Old 2/4/07, 07:41 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check with Oklacop, i believe he's closing in on an FRPP/Whipple H.O supercharger with his auto GT
Old 2/4/07, 07:42 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Check with Oklacop, i believe he's closing in on an FRPP/Whipple H.O supercharger with his auto GT
Old 2/4/07, 07:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

the problems with the automatic trans is the torque convertor. They can self destruct on you. If you search......some guy was spewing off about how bad the auto trans was and you need to rebuild it for a s/c. IT's BS. I read on another forum that his torque converter took a dump. Thats what caused his failure. I would get a 2700-3000 stall speed convertor and don't look back.. It will hold up fine. 433hp to the wheels is not too much for the trans.
Old 2/4/07, 09:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

My Whipple is actually the non intercooloed, not the H.O. I'm still awaiting install. The tuner I'm using said we can probably get to 400 hp safely. He said we probably shouldn't go any higher than that.
Old 2/4/07, 09:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

why the non intercooled version? its always safer to have the intercooled system even if you plan on keeping the HP levels low. thats what cools the IAT and can help prevent mucho detonation. a custom tune will eliminate a lot of the chance of detonation if hes a good tuner, but there are always enviornmental variables that cant be factored in
Old 2/4/07, 10:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

when i get mine installed i am going to take it to Bamachips to get tuned so i am going to ask if i can get a race tune made for 6 or 8psi and 10psi, and the kit will be intercooled, only reason for the lower PSI is for daily driving and the higher psi for racing, the Factory auto can only hold 10psi before it goes bad and a rebuild or HD trans is needed, i know there is a company right now making a HD 5speed auto for the S197 right now but i do not know when it will be released
Old 2/4/07, 10:22 AM
Bullitt Member

ive read up to 800hp with minor modifications, i could be wrong though, it seems these trannys might need some exploring
Old 2/4/07, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Procharger has a 900 hp kit which will give you about 770 rwhp. Obviously this would require extreme modification to withstand the increased power.
Old 2/4/07, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far so good with my auto trans. And I beat on it pretty dam hard.

You might want to read this thread too: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=59560.
Old 2/4/07, 06:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 94tbird
why the non intercooled version? its always safer to have the intercooled system even if you plan on keeping the HP levels low. thats what cools the IAT and can help prevent mucho detonation. a custom tune will eliminate a lot of the chance of detonation if hes a good tuner, but there are always enviornmental variables that cant be factored in
If I understand correctly, Whipple and Ford will not warranty an automatic vehicle with the intercooled Whipple. I debated back and forth and almost said screw the warranty and went intercooled, but in the end decided to go the non intercooled route. I'm not taking my car to the track all the time. I just wanted more "go fast" than my current C&L and SCT tune were giving me.

Oh and did I mention I got the non-intc. Whipple brand new for just under $4000.00. I got it from an individual who got it brand new from FRPP. It was still in original packing. It's a long story, but he was unable to use it, so he made me one hell of a deal. My car is a weekend driver and goes to a car show or two. I think this will be the perfect set up for me.
Old 2/5/07, 12:13 PM
Cobra Member

I have 540 rwhp, 450 rwtq at #14 boost - with a stock tranny. I have recently installed a 3000 TCI stall. With both the stock converter and the TCI converter, I have no issues at all. There are also quite a few drag racers with no issues at all - all with stock auto trans. These trannys are actually pretty stong. I figured my tranny would pop before my engine did (I was wrong).

I would more worried with boost and heat on the rods than the tranny. Just my 2cents.

-Bryan
Old 2/5/07, 12:48 PM
GT Member

Brenspeed will make you a street tune and a race tune I already asked them this question. I agree with the above post about the a/t I'm going to get the TCI 3000 stall converter also, this will make the trans. hold up. However I'm getting the s/c from Brenspeed this spring but probably won't get the converter until this fall, that's when I plan on going to the track. I don't think as soon as you put the s/c on the trans. will blow the next day, Brenspeed has the Paxton on there 06 a/t and they beat on it pretty hard testing,ect. and it hasn't blown, that's with 440 rwhp. 9psi.
Old 2/5/07, 11:39 PM
Banned

I've searched and searched and found nothing but high horsepower with auto's everywhere. I think its just the same with any tranny, keep the fluid good and the temps low and you're set. I would love to throw a Intercooled Whipple on my 05 auto and since I have the deep pan I may put a TCI converter in it too but that would be down the road.

From what I've found the stock bottom end can hold around 450rwhp reliably and I think the tranny can take that too. Get much higher and you'll need some attention to the bottom end and then you may look into some stronger parts for the auto or just a better cooler anyway.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 2/6/07, 06:57 AM

HiRoller-
I am the one you are speaking of and you dont have a clue to what happened to my trans. My trans died after about 3000 miles at 10 PSI. The 5th/2nd clutch set burnt. The torque converter also was toast.
What do you think I am making this **** up? I had the same transmission as the rest of you so you draw the conclusions. I never said you cant put a S/C on an automatic. I am just saying that they do not hold up to too much power. Obviously Whipple and Ford are of the same opinion.
I think that adding an aftermarket converter may be very helpful because the stock converter is a POS. These trannies are a Peugot product and were never intended for high horsepower applications.
Sure there are guys exceeding 500 HP on them (like I was) but many of them have put in an aftermarket converter.

I have seen several supercharged S197s with a bad automatic tranny.
Sidmanic's tranny blew the same way
as mine.
There is another guy posting on another forum that has gone through 4 torque converters. I saw a Vortech blown S197 at my dealer with a toasted 5R55S a few weeks ago.
If these transmissions are so "strong" why are they burning out?

I have now a Stage III tranny and billet hi-stall speed converter. The clutches are all Kevlar, and the transmission has been strengthened to hold 800 RWHP.
Old 2/6/07, 07:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by uberPony
HiRoller-
I am the one you are speaking of and you dont have a clue to what happened to my trans. My trans died after about 3000 miles at 10 PSI. The 5th/2nd clutch set burnt. The torque converter also was toast.
What do you think I am making this **** up? I had the same transmission as the rest of you so you draw the conclusions. I never said you cant put a S/C on an automatic. I am just saying that they do not hold up to too much power. Obviously Whipple and Ford are of the same opinion.
I think that adding an aftermarket converter may be very helpful because the stock converter is a POS. These trannies are a Peugot product and were never intended for high horsepower applications.
Sure there are guys exceeding 500 HP on them (like I was) but many of them have put in an aftermarket converter.

I have seen several supercharged S197s with a bad automatic tranny.
Sidmanic's tranny blew the same way
as mine.
There is another guy posting on another forum that has gone through 4 torque converters. I saw a Vortech blown S197 at my dealer with a toasted 5R55S a few weeks ago.
If these transmissions are so "strong" why are they burning out?

I have now a Stage III tranny and billet hi-stall speed converter. The clutches are all Kevlar, and the transmission has been strengthened to hold 800 RWHP.
Good for you. I'm glad you have the piece of mind of having a bulletproof tranny. There are HUNDREDS of autos out there with superchargers that HAVE NOT blown up.... So making a general statement that our trannies can't handle the power is completely false. There is a risk with any motor or tranny with a supercharger. With the right tune and and an aftermarket stall convertor I'll be more than secure with my set up. JDM has done hundereds of saleen installs into the 450rwhp range and hasn't had 1 engine or tranny failure yet. I think I'll believe them and their reputation.......and if my tranny goes........you'll be the first one I contact.

I didn't intend to personally attack you. A lot of people read these threads. Why discourage them from getting a supercharger just because there were a few failures out of hundreds of installs? Let them make an educated decision with all the facts....

The bottom line is regardless of the transmission, if you want a supercharger, get a supercharger. There a risks taken with both the weak rods and the trans......but neither of those are certainties. Use common sense and find the right tuner.
Old 2/6/07, 07:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roush Performance builds and sells a stage3 Auto Super Charged!....Go to there Web Site! or they will just sell you the super Charger for a Auto with Warranty !........www.Roushperformance.com
Old 2/6/07, 12:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I've been running JDM Saleen with 8psi, putting somewhere around 450 rwhp with my auto. No problems so far... don_w is the guy who knows how much these 5R55S can handle... they sure can.

JDM ran their Saleen SC 10.20's @ 135 mph, before it broke...and they did drag race it for 2 yrs and 300+ runs.

So, I'd believe Auto trans is way more durable than we think!
Old 2/6/07, 08:50 PM

Thumbs up

I Love My Whipple Charger. I Am A Little Confused About The Warranty.factory Warranty? As Soon As You Make The Smallest Mod. To The Car ,Ford Voids The Warranty. That's Why I Am So Concerned With The Tranny. I Only Have 5000 Miles On The Car And A Voided Factory Warranty After I Installed The Whipple Charger. According To Ford, They will Void The Factory Warranty if you install a Cold Air Kit. So I Decided If The Warranty Was Going To Be Voided By Something So Simple I Would Go All The Way And Install The Charger. It is Definitely Worth It.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Vs Automatic Trans. Certain Death?