GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

STS Turbo System

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/05, 08:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if this has been posted yet or not, but I was just looking at some websites and saw that STS (Squires Turbo Systems) has announced plans for a twin turbo system for the Mustang GT. I can only imagine what kind of horsepower that will put out.
Old 8/20/05, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't like their design, but it's good to see more turbocharger options for the '05s.
Old 8/20/05, 11:52 PM

It's a remote turbo system. They called me asking me to install their system. The guy said they wanted to get it tested at sea level-which is where I'm at. He then told me it'll cost me $8000. I said, "you called me." I pretty much told him to pound sand! He said $8000 was at their cost like he was doing me a favor. This was a couple months ago. I found out today that they get the actual turbo from Garrett. The NHRA compact sport is being held at my local track this weekend, so I was talking with one of the Garrett guys for awhile. I don't know a lot about turbo's but every car that I've seen the is real fast has their turbo's under the hood and not back by the muffler's.
Old 8/21/05, 08:17 AM

Most turbos as under the hood (or close to), but the design of the STS turbo is off the exhaust for simplicity sake. They are attempting to make a turbo product that is pretty easy to install by the "do-it-yourselfer". Now, without getting into it too much, the impeller on a turbo is run off of excess exhaust gas (which is why you get more psi at higher RPM's), so in theory, the placement of the turbo is inconsequential other than it will take slightly longer for the "forced" air to reach it's way to the airbox if it is further away from the engine. I love the idea of a "simple" turbo, but I hate the thought of turbo lag. This design seems like it will only make it worse, probably not a terrible thing for the strip since you will already be revving the engine up though.
Old 8/21/05, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Simple turbo??....this is no simple car IMO...

STS should leave the kits to the Mustang pros, and not try to jump on the band wagon. Personally, I would buy a kit from a reputable Mustang Source,and Im sure for way less than 8K..LOL thats nuts..why would anyone take a chance w/ them, I have no idea...

"Doing U a favor"...yea, some favor

They have some nerve calling U, and then asking for 8k
Old 8/21/05, 09:26 AM

That's what I was thinking. I was excited when they first called, but asking me for $8000 turned that smile upside down.
Old 8/21/05, 10:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Garrett turbochargers are more expensive than other turbochargers, mainly because of the technology. In the real world applications, you really won't notice a huge difference, if any, between Garrett turbochargers and other turbochargers (given they flow the same lbs/min).

I would agree with the comment about turbo lag, however, it really depends on the turbo they are going to use. If it's smaller, it will spool faster (generally), however, that means less power potential. So they are going to try to find a balance between that.

Like I said though, I just don't like that design. I'm not liking the Ultimate Racing TT so far...hoping someone else will come up with something I like, and at a good price.

$8,000 is ridiculous for that.
Old 8/21/05, 02:09 PM

I think STS is pretty reputable, maybe not as much as Garrett or HKS or GReddy, but still pretty reputable. They have made the same style turbos for the new GTO and Corvettes so they should have some idea what they are doing. Now, as far as having them basically ask you for 8k...what a bunch of idiots, I can't believe they would do that. Who do they think they are fooling? I'd take a nice supercharger over a turbo any day and save the 4 grand.

btw...all I meant by simple was ease of install, there's no way I could install a standard turbo package on my own, but I was able to help a friend install an STS system on his LS1 Firebird in a couple hours.
Old 8/21/05, 02:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by KCFordMan@August 21, 2005, 4:12 PM
I think STS is pretty reputable, maybe not as much as Garrett or HKS or GReddy, but still pretty reputable. They have made the same style turbos for the new GTO and Corvettes so they should have some idea what they are doing. Now, as far as having them basically ask you for 8k...what a bunch of idiots, I can't believe they would do that. Who do they think they are fooling? I'd take a nice supercharger over a turbo any day and save the 4 grand.

btw...all I meant by simple was ease of install, there's no way I could install a standard turbo package on my own, but I was able to help a friend install an STS system on his LS1 Firebird in a couple hours.
STS makes kits, the pipes, mounts, and design is about all they do. They outsource the turbocharger, intercooler, etc.

If you compare Garrett, you compare it to Turbonetics (modify Mitsu turbochargers extensively, I believe), Precision Engineering (Garrett, with different modifications), IHI, Mitsubishi, etc.

HKS makes kits using Garrett turbochargers. GReddy makes kits using Mistubishi turbochargers.

I agree, they know what they are doing, I was just saying I don't agree with their design philosophy. But again, good to see more options.
Old 8/21/05, 02:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$8,000!!??

You could build one heck of a 4.6 for that money. Bring on the motor swap!
Old 8/21/05, 04:11 PM

STS buys their turbo's from Garrett-according to the Garrett guy I was talking with yesterday. The STS system is $8000 due to 3 things...1. twin turbo 2. remote system-more piping and engineering 3. A big brass pair of .....

I saw a Garrett sport compact car run low 7's in the 1/4 mile yesterday and quite a few other car's with Garrett turbo's running 7's and 8's. I'm not much into sport compact, import or front wheel drive. It was just a big event here and I appreciate and respect cars putting down that kind of power. So I went to watch! It was funny seeing a front wheel drive car with wheelie bars. The wheelie bars were on the ground, just to keep the front tires planted. Serious turbo/NO2 setups.
Old 8/21/05, 07:52 PM
V6 Member

I can speak from experience about the turbo setup and the company. This is (was) my turbo Denali. My Webpage

I put out around 272hp stock, all-wheel drive. With the STS system on a GT67 turbo, running Methanol injection, I pounded out 470hp/525tq at the wheels. Do the math on the drivetrain loss and the actual "crank" numbers are shocking. I ran it at the track once before selling it. 13.5 was my best run and I was having an issue when shifting into 3rd (Tune relateded). A 13.5 here in the summer, in a non-intercooled turbo is an easy 13.0, and with the 3rd gear issue resolved, well, you get the picture.

One point you need to know, there is NO more turbo lag here than any other turbo, believe me, and all the articles written. Just to make sure, I popped in a built trans and a 3400 stall after I blew my first tranny.

These "kits" are for real. The GTO's are hitting 11's with a basic kit. My kit was upgraded and ran about, ohhh, $5000. This is up from $3895 or whatever the base kit was. I went with a bigger turbo, injectors, and fuel pump.

Here's something scary, the truck is as fast as my Mustang is right now. Yes, that pisses me off so I'll be continuing with the mods.
Old 8/21/05, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

8000 seems strange :scratch: I tried to buy one of two kits they had two months ago and it was 6500 I backed out because of the cost and the fact that most supercharger kits can make more power than the stock block can handle anyway. I didn't see the benefit of the extra cost at this time. Now had I been building a car things would've been different.

Now as far as the remote part I think its a neat idea. I would prefer to try it before I gave it any thumbs up or down.

Thanks Mike
Old 8/21/05, 09:02 PM

Their mentality behind the remote turbo is removing the heat from underhood.
Old 8/22/05, 02:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

http://turbochargedpower.com/
they were the ones tested in Sept. MM&FF over 600hp @11psi
Old 8/22/05, 02:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

also i agree $8k is to much but keep in mind most TT kits come with an intercooler and entire exhaust system, if you were to add that to a $4k supercharger system you would be in the $7k range