GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Stock Springs???

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/11, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Springs???

ok guys this is probly the dumbest question on this site but oh well, ive got a stock 05 GT and ive been planning on getting the H&R springs that drop the front 1" and the rear i believe 7/8", heres the problem,my car already looks fairly low compared to other GTs ive seen (this could just be me) so im starting to wonder if maybe it has been lowered with the same size drop before,this would explain my slightly negative camber in the front wheels, but my thing is if someone only ever does one thing to a car, lowering springs usually isnt that one thing, so my question is,aside from (the obvious)taking out the springs and looking at them is there any other way to tell if my car has been lowered in the past??? like i said dumbest question on this site lmao! i just want to know if i should get the 1" springs or if it has already been done, get the next lowest kit

thanks
Old 8/11/11, 11:31 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mustang stock springs are always black in color, if they're a different color, that's a clue. Most companies stamp their name on their springs. Last clue, if it doesn't look like you can go off-road, than they're probably not stock.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 8/11/11 at 11:34 PM.
Old 8/12/11, 12:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Mustang stock springs are always black in color, if they're a different color, that's a clue. Most companies stamp their name on their springs. Last clue, if it doesn't look like you can go off-road, than they're probably not stock.
^^This. Another way is to look for a tag on the springs, stock springs have a small tag with 3 letters; such as SFF. Don't know if you can easily see the tag or not.
Post a side pic of your car on here, we may be able to eyeball it.
Old 8/12/11, 07:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
measure from the ground to the sender lip. let us know what the measurement is.
Old 8/13/11, 02:15 AM

thanks alot for the input guys, will do when i get chance (its 1 AM where i am lol)
Old 8/13/11, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
mine are black, only thing i was thinking is how many after market ssprings are also black??
Old 8/15/11, 04:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Another possibility is the springs were cut. I did that to my 06 back in the day because aftermarkets were few and far between. There were many threads on this before the crash, you might be able to find one or two. It was a quick way to take anywhere up to an inch off the wheel wells without having to buy a new part.
Old 8/15/11, 10:44 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Eibach Pro kit springs are black. As mentioned previously, stock springs will have tags unless they were removed. Post a picture of the car, we'll be able to tell if it was lowered.