GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Stock mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/07, 11:34 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock mufflers

Want to swap out stock mufflers,what is the best after market mufflers to use best for sound,performance ,and to install....thanks Steve 07 CS/GT
Old 7/23/07, 11:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
search is your friend and also you will see every one likes some thing different
Old 7/26/07, 06:47 AM
V6 Member

What is the drone noise I here you talk about in the other forum and has anyone tryed the flowmaster axle back mufflers ,how do they sound compared to the stock mufflers. Thanks Steve
Old 7/26/07, 08:25 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 7/27/07, 05:58 PM
V6 Member

I've installed the Corsa system and couldn't be happier! Sounds fantastic, and NO DRONE!!
Attached Thumbnails Stock mufflers-dsc00410.jpg   Stock mufflers-dsc00483_2.jpg  
Old 7/27/07, 07:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out www.ninosport.com they have lots of exhaust clips to listen to.
Old 7/31/07, 11:29 PM
V6 Member

I think the MAC Axle Back with 4" tips is the one I will be going for, does anyone know about these ones?
Old 8/3/07, 08:29 AM
CAL
GT Member

Don't know if I can sway you, but FRPP M-5230-GTAs. OEM equipment on the Shelby GT and GT-H. With the CS/GT rear fascia-man they look great. Nice sounding, looking and 'zero' drone.......

P.S. Take a look at this picture of stock vs. GTAs......enough said.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...4&d=1176584664

I've heard the MACs sound great as well though......
Old 8/3/07, 07:15 PM
GT Member

100% agree with Greg (any V/B has gotta be cool). Cost effective, easy to install, looks better than stock and great sound.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...1AxleBackR.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a.../1AxleBack.jpg

Don't ya think? Do a search, I posted some noise levels before and after a few months ago.
Old 8/4/07, 04:27 PM
V6 Member

Ken,where did you get these axle back mufflers ,did you get them right from the ford dealer and what was the cost. How much louder are they then the stock mufflers.Thanks Steve
Old 8/6/07, 12:34 PM
CAL
GT Member

champ7,

Recommend http://www.ninosport.com/Ford-Racing...566-M-5230-GTA for your FRPP-M5230-GTAs. Supreme makes them for FRPP! Don't buy FRPP retail (around $325) when you can order these from nino for around $285 an install them yourself (about 1-1.5 hours maximum).... Try to get a "test ride" from a friend's STANG to hear differenct exhausts. YouTube is great, but nothing replaces sitting in the vehicle and then standing there as someone is getting on em'......

If interested in GTAs, I'd call them (ninosport) as I think you could get them around $275 including shipping - is what I paid if memory serves. These are very affordable, no drone, but are a little less loud than the FRPP M-5230-GTs. The -GTs "drone." Unless you like em' REAL loud, I can't imagine you not being pleased with the -GTAs........take care.

p.s. GTAs are slightly louder at idle, very nice sounding at WOT (deeper) and when you get on them....but during cruising they are about the same/very slightly louder than stock -- with no drone. I've driven with friends with other mufflers, including: FRPP -5GTs a.k.a. Borla Stingers, SLP LoudMouths, etc., etc. either too loud OR drone like crazy.......My $0.02
Old 8/6/07, 04:17 PM
V6 Member

Greg, Thanks for your input on the GTAs they sound great on my tube, only have one friend with 05 stang and he has flowmasters on his and they sound pretty good with little to no drone. May go with the GTAs thanks Steve
Old 8/6/07, 05:52 PM
Bullitt Member

So are the borla stingers too loud or just drone? I was really thinking of getting some for my GT/CS.
Old 8/7/07, 08:12 AM
CAL
GT Member

Good question. One man's "too loud" is another GTers "not loud enough." The FRPP M-5230-5GTs are "significantly" louder than the GTAs, but also drone.

It's a personal decision and a subjective one. In my case, I wanted just a little more and slightly louder than stock. I also wanted something that looked good/stock and would pass all noise and emission testing in Texas. (I figured if the GTAs were OEM for Shelby GT-H and GT, then I was in good shape.). If memory serves, the Stingers are not legal in California.......

Try and find a friend that has the exhaust you want. YouTube is great and helped and if that is all you got to form your decision - that's all you got. A friend of mine took me for a ride in his with the GTAs and I was hooked. Exactly what I wanted. (Prior to this, I was interested in the Stingers and a friend of mine was revving the Stingers while I stood outside his car and no doubt, they are louder and meaner sounding than the GTAs, but when we went for a ride....just too much drone (and loudness) for me... I'm guessing, if you're a young person (I'm almost 40), single and don't want any ricers messin' with you---you're probably going to go for the Stingers...... Oh yeah, I almost forgot, GTAs are around $270, Stingers around $400 (but you can find them cheaper).

As you can tell, it was a tough decision for me too!

My car is a daily driver and I pick up my 2 year-old and wife each day......I like to actually "hear" them both and don't need to yell over the noise/drone..........well........most of the time I like to hear them.....maybe those SLP Loudmouths have some dual-benefit....... LOL......
Old 8/7/07, 09:19 PM
GT Member

Steve;
Bought them from NinoSports, about $265 a few months ago. I think there is/was a discount for plugging in this site, do a search.
Other guys are right on about noise. Like I said, do a search and I posted some Db ratings I took myself comparing the stock muffs to the GTA's from Nino.
Old 8/9/07, 04:43 PM
V6 Member

Got a deal on a set of flowmaster and a K&N filter I could not turn down $150, less then 2000 miles on them my buddy sold his 2005 back to dealer and they wanted the stock mufflers and we swapped out his 2 week old K&N air filter for my paper filter... They sound great I just had to bend the hangers a little to get the exhaust tips to center up in the calif bumper and there was no way to get the one bracket bolt on the left muffler it was the bolt that goes straight up into the frame at the rear hanger, no room because of muffler being bigger from top to bottom then stock, otherwise everything else was fine.With windows closed and just cruising along noise is not much lounder then stock,stand on the gas and you get that nice mucsle car sound Love it, Steve
Old 8/9/07, 04:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flows are nice as well, GTA's are on mine and here to stay.
Old 8/9/07, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

So there are a lot of people here saying GTA's. I really like the youtubes of stingers..... ugh I wish there was an easy way to tell the difference. I don't know any car club people here in Charlotte. Guess I will start looking once I get my GT/CS sometime end of this month/start of September. First mod will be hurst shifter(I have decided I like it best) and axle backs are the next one.

Words of wisdom from someone who knows both these axle backs would be awesome.
Old 8/9/07, 06:40 PM
GT Member

CarRR;
I live in Hickory. If you want to hear the GTA's on on 07' Vista Blue (they sound better on a V/B), let me know.
BTW, what color are u getting?
Old 8/9/07, 06:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm getting a performance white GT/CS with the dove interior. I'm originally from Florida so even though I like other colors I pretty much only drive white vehicles since hot vehicles are a big turn off. If I had to pick another color though it would be Vista Blue. I'll have to take you up on that some time in the near future once I get my 08.
thanks 3Strikes

Quick Reply: Stock mufflers