GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

stiffer suspension / improved feedback

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/05, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first post - so hello.

I just test drove an 05 GT (manual). My regular car is a Lotus Elise, so to stand a chance of fairly checking out the Mustang, I drove my husband's 350Z around for a few days and drove it to the dealer, so I'd get used to a bigger, heavier car and so that I'd have a more realistic contrast for the Mustang (the Lotus makes the next car you drive feel like a truck).

I was expecting the Mustang to feel pretty much like the Z - big torquey engine and straight line stability, along with good amounts of feedback and very decent cornering. Oh, and great brakes. Although the clutch and gearbox were lighter to operate than Z's - a fact I loved (the Z gets a little tiring) - the ride itself felt much less involving. In a straight line I felt it wallowed a little, and the brakes also took me be surprise. Maybe they require a firmer foot than the Nissan, but I almost over shot the turning back into the dealer's lot.

I really want a Mustang parked next to my Elise, but I need to know that I can bring the handling and ride up to at least 350Z standard. I appreciate this is a muscle car, and I was *not* expecting it to handle like a Lotus! but I did expect it to feel quite a bit more involving to drive.

Am I expecting too much? Would it be possible to throw another $5k at the car and have it handle like a Z?

Everything else about the car was great, esp. when considering the price.
Old 1/5/05, 09:42 PM

I've dented the roadster...Muffy will be absolutely FURIOUS!
Old 1/5/05, 09:44 PM

Old 1/5/05, 10:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by LotusElise@January 5, 2005, 10:47 PM
Notice the number posts Catbarf has. He's just a troll being obnoxious so ignore him. :notnice:

As for your question, I'm sure there will be plenty of suspension parts for the '05. With $5K to spend, I'm sure you could get the handling like you want it.
Old 1/5/05, 10:11 PM

Thanks Tom!
Old 1/5/05, 10:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

first off motor trend or one of those magazines tested the mustang gt on a track and said it out handeled the 350 z track edition
Old 1/5/05, 11:57 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
ouch... blow it out your turbo you elitist mustanger
Old 1/5/05, 11:59 PM

Awesome. I feel like I've entered a trailer park.

I see that there are a few aftermarket suspension options - Steeda, Eibach, etc. Seems like that might be the way to go. Anyone got any aftermarket handling goodies installed yet?
Old 1/6/05, 12:00 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Lotus, my advice, see if Eibach has thier complete suspension ugrade in the works. Its a really nice set-up for the SN95 cars. Shocks, struts, bars, and springs along with bushings if I remeber correctly.
Old 1/6/05, 12:03 AM

Thanks Bob - looks like they do: http://www.livermoreperformance.com/...uspension.html

Eibach Pro-System
Eibach Pro-System kits are designed by Eibach's team of suspension engineers and ride control experts to offer the best street performance without sacrificing ride quality. The Pro-System is a precisely balanced combination of dampers, sport springs and bump-stops (secondary springs), designed and tuned to operate as an integrated system.

Eibach Pro-System improves turn-in response, increases cornering speed and reduces body roll.

Eibach Sport-System
Also available as a Sport-System, which includes Sportline lowering––for the lowest possible drop and over the top handling.

Eibach Pro-System-Plus
The Eibach Pro-System-Plus adds the final step for total suspension dominance. Pro-System-Plus kits are designed by Eibach's team of suspension engineers and ride control experts to offer the best-possible street performance, but without sacrificing ride quality. The Pro-System-Plus is a precisely balanced combination of sport springs, bump-stops (secondary springs), dampers and anti-roll bars designed and tuned to operate as a complete performance suspension system.

Pro-System-Plus improves turn-in response, increases cornering speed and reduces body roll—all while retaining excellent ride quality. Pro-System-Plus is the ultimate street performance suspension system—a must for any true driving enthusiast.

This is what Sport Compact Car said after road/track testing the AEM Ford Focus with Eibach Pro-System-Plus.

"With the Eibach suspension, every last movement was damped out of existence…The Eibach suspension was confidence—inspiring in virtually any situation…(It’s) one of the most well-sorted aftermarket suspensions we’ve ever encountered."

Eibach Sport-System-Plus
Also available as a Sport-System-Plus, which includes Sportline lowering––for the lowest possible drop and over the top handling
Old 1/6/05, 12:24 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

If you like the stock ride height, the pro-system-plus was the system I was refering to.

My next advice would be to call Eibach and get their advice on what works with the system and what doesn't and if they have any further reccomendations. Steeda makes some nice stuff too and a combination of parts might square it away (ie stiffer control arms and bracing along with reduced unsprung weight)

Ultimately the Mustang is a different flavor than the Z or the Elise and no amount of re-engineering is going to change that. The cobras are due out in 06 maybe it would be more prudent to wait and test drive a Cobra vs. a GT. There are two camps here. SRA and IRS and the IRS guys are saying an IRS equipped Cobra is gonna make all the difference in the world. 5k on suspension mods is putting you close to Cobra territory anyway and an extra 100 to 150 hp couldn'y hurt
Old 1/6/05, 02:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

eibach is trash if you want to handle go with what i have maximum motor sports or grigs those are the true mustang handling companys
Old 1/6/05, 06:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Two cars ,diffrent worlds.
Old 1/6/05, 06:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the site LotusElise. Despite what a few others have said, I am glad to hear you would like to have a Mustang in your driveway.
Old 1/6/05, 07:14 AM

Yeah, welcome LotusElise. Sure, there are a few on this board, as any I suppose, that are a bit insular and myopic in their automotive tastes. The Elise is a fantastic performance car, albeit of a very different character than a Stang, and I am impressed at the breadth of your automotive interest.

While the Stang will never have quite the Nth degree of handling prowess as an Elise, but you know that already I'm sure, there are already many suspension upgrades on the market or on their way.

While the archaic live(ly) rear axle probably represents the greatest limit to handling on less than buttery-smooth roads, the upcoming SVT version will have a 21st century IRS, which may find itself eventually in less pricey models too (fingers crossed). 5-big should be more than enough to boolster not only the suspension, but even the brakes too, which, despite their improvement from the outgoing '04, might not be the Stang's premier performance feature.
Old 1/6/05, 07:16 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by TURBO 05@January 5, 2005, 11:57 PM
is your lotus a auto by any chance...
There isn't an automatic available.
Old 1/6/05, 01:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't mind buying a car with a solid rear axle. I've never owned a Mustang, but this new GT has impressed me enough to order one.

I have driven both IRS and solid axle cars, and both have their characteristics. The worst handling car I have ever owned had an IRS - a 1973 TR6, whereas I have not had any negative experiences with solid rear axle cars.

My most recent drive - a 91 Miata (modified) - has IRS and handles like on rails, but I decided to opt for a GT with the V-8 and solid rear. You just have to know and understand the characteristics of the cars you drive, and drive them accordingly.

Every car is a trade-off of some sort. I'll trade 300 h.p. and a nice rumble at an affordable price, for an IRS any day.
Old 1/6/05, 01:17 PM
Cam Tease

Ignore this

After 05 TURBO edited his post this has no relevance.
Old 1/6/05, 01:19 PM
V6 Member

Check this out.

Have Ground Control on my BMW and planning on it for the 'Stang.

Mustang Control
Old 1/6/05, 08:06 PM

Depends on what level of handling you're trying to obtain, but I'm thinking the Eibach Pro System Plus would be really nice. I've got the Eibach Pro-Kit on my car and I like the fact that Eibach's products are designed for daily driving. You can really tell when you compare them to the more 'serious' suspension products that Eibach's stuff can still ride pretty nicely over less-than-perfect roads. Combine their pro-kit springs with with their struts, sway bars & bushings and you've got a nice setup.

But... if you are looking for something more serious, my next (more expensive) choice would be Bilstein although I'm not sure what their plans are for the '05.

Lastly, I'd get wheels & tires. The 17's are good but 18's would be perfect for the balance of weight, strength, and the sidewall rigidity you'll get with the appropriate tires. Then get some good tires and you'll have a fun-to-drive Mustang.

Quick Reply: stiffer suspension / improved feedback