GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steeda's New High Flow Elbow

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/06, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steeda's New High Flow Elbow

Steeda has a new high flow elbow to go with their CAI. It replaces the factory's flexible inlet tube. They are claiming an additional 8 HP. I checked with them and they said this was above the HP already gained with the CAI and it requires no retuning.

Any thoughts on the increase in HP and whether it needs a new tune?
Old 9/26/06, 11:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've seen the pics, and while it does look nice, but since that thing is so heavy and large, they'll probably jack you for at least $30 shipping charges
Old 9/27/06, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by 68wanabe
Steeda has a new high flow elbow to go with their CAI. It replaces the factory's flexible inlet tube. They are claiming an additional 8 HP. I checked with them and they said this was above the HP already gained with the CAI and it requires no retuning.

Any thoughts on the increase in HP and whether it needs a new tune?

I installed the Steeda complete air intake system (CAI and inlet tube) a couple weeks ago. Before I purchased it, I contacted Doug at BamaChips and to see if he had done any tunes for the new system. He said he had done lots of tunes for the CAI but had not seen the inlet tube yet, and would do some research as to whether any additional tuning was needed for the inlet tube. He got back with me and said that no additional tuning was necessary. I ran his 87 tune for almost two weeks and just installed his 93 torque tune last night in preparation for a track day this weekend. I noticed a big difference in acceleration and throttle response between the new system and stock on using the 87 tune. Especially above 2500 RPM. I don’t have enough time with the 93 tune to comment on additional improvements.
Old 9/27/06, 04:09 PM

I recently upgraded my Steeda CAI with the new elbow. Car feels a bit stronger now and seems to rev a bit easier through the gears.

No new tune either. Got the whole thing shipped to my house for 100.00 even.

I've seen the pics, and while it does look nice, but since that thing is so heavy and large, they'll probably jack you for at least $30 shipping charges
Yeah right.

It's plastic and you'd be lucky if it weighs a pound tops.
Old 9/27/06, 07:08 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,790 Posts
I've had mine about 2 months now and redfire is absolutely right..the entire tube is made from a lightweight molded plastic that weighs no more than a pound, I also had mine shipped for $107.00 which included S&H
Old 9/27/06, 07:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys my comments about the size and weight of the tube in relation to the probable shipping charges were facetious, pure and simple. I was being sarcastic.
Old 10/2/06, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

[quote=Redfire 'o5;748972]I recently upgraded my Steeda CAI with the new elbow. Car feels a bit stronger now and seems to rev a bit easier through the gears.

No new tune either. Got the whole thing shipped to my house for 100.00 even.

Did the elbow pipe come with the vacumn nipple? I see how to disconnect the vacumn line from the stock system but wasn't sure if I had to pull the old nipple out and reuse it on the new elbow. Thanks.
Old 10/2/06, 01:55 PM
GT Member

The new elbow has a nipple for the vacuum line and a small piece of tubing and a couple of hose clamps are provided to attach the line to the new elbow. Easy as pie.

On my car (I painted it)
Old 10/2/06, 03:18 PM
Bullitt Member

The new elbow has a nipple for the vacuum line and a small piece of tubing and a couple of hose clamps are provided to attach the line to the new elbow. Easy as pie.

Looks great. Seems simple enough. Notice any difference in the or performance? Who did you order it from? Thanks.
Old 10/2/06, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks great - seems simple enough. Notice any difference in the sound and/or performance? Where did you order it? Thanks.
Old 10/2/06, 03:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Must be an echo in here......
Old 10/3/06, 02:53 PM
GT Member

I got mine through Steeda when I got my springs. I put it on the same day I installed Corsas, so it'd be hard to isolate one change in sound from the other. My original dyno run was before the new elbow and Corsas, so when I do my pre-LT header install dyno run, I'll have better info about how the pair affected my HP numbers.

I can say without a doubt that the sound of my car has changed twice. Once was after the CAI install and dyno tune. The other was after the exhaust and elbow install. Each time has gotten closer to what I think a muscle car should sound like. Yes I know the Mustang isn't a muscle car but let's save that debate for another time. Suffice it to say it'll never sound like a big block carb'ed car, but it's getting there.
Old 10/4/06, 11:49 AM

Where did you order from to get it for 100.00 or even 107.00 shipped?
Old 10/4/06, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I ordered mine direct from Steeda, when you call to place your order ? ask to speak to Jason, he'll hook you up..If you need a referral ?? just PM me..and I'll provide you with furthur details..

Will do i'll see about it with Jason! My stang has been ripping pretty hard. Other night I put down a slightly modded C5 vette several times and it felt oh so good. But i did run into a talon or something and he had big fat turbo and he was slooowly crawling up on me even though i got a 2 car jump on him due to turbo lag. I am hoping this inlet tube will stop his crawl.

Not sure how much i need to stop someone slooowly crawling up...
Old 10/5/06, 07:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GoFaster
I got mine through Steeda when I got my springs. I put it on the same day I installed Corsas, so it'd be hard to isolate one change in sound from the other. My original dyno run was before the new elbow and Corsas, so when I do my pre-LT header install dyno run, I'll have better info about how the pair affected my HP numbers.

I can say without a doubt that the sound of my car has changed twice. Once was after the CAI install and dyno tune. The other was after the exhaust and elbow install. Each time has gotten closer to what I think a muscle car should sound like. Yes I know the Mustang isn't a muscle car but let's save that debate for another time. Suffice it to say it'll never sound like a big block carb'ed car, but it's getting there.

I did my CAI and exhaust at the same time so there probably won't be much difference in the sound. Once I order and install I'll see if there is a little more zip.
Old 10/5/06, 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Bottom line is there are only so many different ways to make something that is going to flow more air and still fit on and in the factory engine compartment. If you look at every CAI you'll notice they are all very similar, with the WMS CAI being the exception.
Old 10/5/06, 11:42 AM
Bullitt Member

I agree. However, I'd rather go with a company that is dedicated to engineering products for Ford and only Ford. You may pay a few $$$ here and there but there should be no question about it working on your car - and fitting right the first time.
Old 10/5/06, 07:50 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by RKNMACH
I agree. However, I'd rather go with a company that is dedicated to engineering products for Ford and only Ford. You may pay a few $$$ here and there but there should be no question about it working on your car - and fitting right the first time.
I agree with you 100% In fact Steeda designed the FRPP CAI to Ford's engineering specifications as a direct result of their official and licensed partnership, in which they share technology with Ford as an aftermarket parts maker..
Old 10/6/06, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Elbow ordered from Steeda and will be installed post haste.
Old 10/6/06, 09:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

I must say the Steeda CAI with the new elbow looks a whole lot better than my C & L. Whilst I like what it has done for the fun factor in driving, the C & L unit is a bit hokey when compared to the Steeda unit.

Happy Motoring!
Jon

Quick Reply: Steeda's New High Flow Elbow