GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steeda Ultralite spring install complete!

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/06, 10:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scramblr @ March 5, 2006, 1:19 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Cool, thanks Bill. I just don't want to "not" have all the parts I need and then get stuck, i.e., camber adjustment plates.
[/b][/quote]
Alex- You may want to consider buying aftermarket camber adjustment bolts (or know where they'll be readily available) just incase (see pic).
The camber adj plates will work too, but costs alot more bank!

To see if you'll possibly need an adj panhard bar, measure your axle position like I did and see if the difference between the left and right sides are similar to mine. If it's dead center now, I would anticipate the need for the bar.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mhk @ March 5, 2006, 6:18 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Great job! Just what I was looking for. Question: Someone told me that it's better to get different shocks when you lower your car. Is there any truth in that?

Thanks
[/b][/quote]
Mike-
I was about to pull the trigger on a set of Tokico D-Spec struts/shocks (eBay, $500 delivered) for this install, but decided to hold off until I see how the OEM dampners do. I know the D-Specs are the way to go, but for now I can live with the stock ones.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tkogt @ March 5, 2006, 6:31 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
did you measure the travel in the rear end when you were done?

i only have 3/4 inch at the bump stop cushions and was thinking to cut them down
[/b][/quote]
Jay-
Didn't measure the rear travel (just about measured everything else! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] ).

I'll keep a 'feel' out for it and hopefully won't bottom it out.
Old 3/5/06, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey TacoBill, by anychance have you heard of Chicane Sport Tuning, or even had work done by them?
Old 3/5/06, 10:15 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Baginoman2 @ March 5, 2006, 9:15 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
hey TacoBill, by anychance have you heard of Chicane Sport Tuning, or even had work done by them?
[/b][/quote]
Yes, that's where I got the quote for the installation from.
Their rate for install: $250

Never had any work done there.
Old 3/5/06, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

ooo for real u called them huh... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

Well i no they are good at what they do, so i might actually get it done from them.

hmm thanx for the info man!
Old 3/5/06, 10:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ March 5, 2006, 6:14 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Alex- You may want to consider buying aftermarket camber adjustment bolts (or know where they'll be readily available) just incase (see pic).
The camber adj plates will work too, but costs alot more bank!

To see if you'll possibly need an adj panhard bar, measure your axle position like I did and see if the difference between the left and right sides are similar to mine. If it's dead center now, I would anticipate the need for the bar.
[/b][/quote]

Bill,

I originally meant the bolts, not the plates, thanks for catching that. Nothing is readily available here. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img] Where did you get yours? Don't see them listed under Steeda nor BMR sites. Also, if it turns out that I do need a panhard bar, it can take a couple of weeks for me to get one. Is it O.K. to drive for a couple of weeks or better to just have it in case?

You're awesome for providing all this help!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img]
Old 3/5/06, 11:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Just did a quick measurement of my axle position. 1 3/4" Drivers Side and 2 1/4" passenger side.
Old 3/5/06, 11:40 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scramblr @ March 5, 2006, 9:29 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I originally meant the bolts, not the plates, thanks for catching that. Nothing is readily available here. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img] Where did you get yours? Don't see them listed under Steeda nor BMR sites. Also, if it turns out that I do need a panhard bar, it can take a couple of weeks for me to get one. Is it O.K. to drive for a couple of weeks or better to just have it in case?

You're awesome for providing all this help!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
I got my camber bolts from ebay from the same seller as this link: Eibach Pro-Alignment Kit 5.81260K

This is the correct part number for the 05/06 Mustang GT, even though it's not listed in the auction.

Looking at your your axle measurements, I'm pretty certain you'll need the adj panhard bar, like this one from BMR.

Rear axle will shift to the left (to drivers side) when lowered.... how much will depend on the actual drop.

Is it safe to drive around for a while like this? I don't know. But, I know there are several members here that lowered the rear and didn't get an adj panhard bar.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Baginoman2 @ March 5, 2006, 9:22 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
ooo for real u called them huh... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

Well i no they are good at what they do, so i might actually get it done from them.

hmm thanx for the info man!
[/b][/quote]
Joe-
I actually e-mailed Chicane Sport Tuning a week ago. I was off $5 from my last post about it (went by my fading memory!).

Here's his e-mail reply to me:

The installation price is $245.00 We can perform the work for you any day. Just give us some notice if you would.

Regards
Joe@Chicane
310-782-0063
Old 3/5/06, 11:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ March 5, 2006, 7:43 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I got my camber bolts from ebay from the same seller as this link: Eibach Pro-Alignment Kit 5.81260K

This is the correct part number for the 05/06 Mustang GT, even though it's not listed in the auction.

Looking at your your axle measurements, I'm pretty certain you'll need the adj panhard bar, like this one from BMR.

Rear axle will shift to the left (to drivers side) when lowered.... how much will depend on the actual drop.

Is it safe to drive around for a while like this? I don't know. But, I know there are several members here that lowered the rear and didn't get an adj panhard bar.

[/b][/quote]

Thanks again Bill. I'll see if they will ship to me. And that's the panhard bar I was looking at. Thinking to get that, LCAs and the Meziere water pump from them in one shot. Save on shipping...At least that's my excuse!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] I'm addicted...I need help!!!
Old 3/5/06, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

alright thanx for the info Tacobill!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/5/06, 08:19 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scramblr @ March 5, 2006, 12:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks again Bill. I'll see if they will ship to me. And that's the panhard bar I was looking at. Thinking to get that, LCAs and the Meziere water pump from them in one shot. Save on shipping...At least that's my excuse!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] I'm addicted...I need help!!!
[/b][/quote]

thoes are the same bolts i used, 81260 specialty products company( funny same part #)

any good alignment shop should stock them( i do ) and that would be in germany also.

as long as they are 14 mm bolts they will work.

i put mine in the top holes and turned them in for max camber and got 1.47 L/1.49 R deg's neg

jay
Old 3/10/06, 10:49 AM
V6 Member

Excellent write-up man! I am going to be installing the Ultra-Lites this coming monday, and ill definetly use this to help me.
Old 3/10/06, 11:50 AM
Cobra Member

TacoBill

Very nice write up, particularily liked the head cam shots.

scramblr

While lowering the car will impact camber and toe setting, what you get after all is done is dependent on the initial settings and the stack up of tolerances for your particular car. TacoBill maximized tolerances on his when he reassembled the front struts. Some have to go to other measures like elongating the strut holes to get the camber back with in spec. As far as new shock / struts go, after you lower the car an inch it only has about 2/3's of the bounce travel you originally did ... so less travel to absorb the bump. Some of this is corrected by stiffer springs, but you really needs proper struts / shocks to do the rest (absorb the bump and dampen the stiffer springs). You are only fooling yourself if you think otherwise.
Old 3/10/06, 12:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RadBOSS @ March 10, 2006, 7:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
TacoBill

Very nice write up, particularily liked the head cam shots.

scramblr

While lowering the car will impact camber and toe setting, what you get after all is done is dependent on the initial settings and the stack up of tolerances for your particular car. TacoBill maximized tolerances on his when he reassembled the front struts. Some have to go to other measures like elongating the strut holes to get the camber back with in spec. As far as new shock / struts go, after you lower the car an inch it only has about 2/3's of the bounce travel you originally did ... so less travel to absorb the bump. Some of this is corrected by stiffer springs, but you really needs proper struts / shocks to do the rest (absorb the bump and dampen the stiffer springs). You are only fooling yourself if you think otherwise.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the input RadBOSS. I have no problem getting struts/shocks if necessary, just didn't want to get parts I don't need. From all the reading, and some of it your own posts, looks like I'll go with the Tokico D-specs struts and shocks. I do have one other question that you can probably answer.

The car will only be lowered about 1" and I'm going to get LCAs. Would it be a good idea to get relocation brackets for the LCAs?

Thanks...
Old 4/13/06, 06:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the write-up!! Gave me the confidence to jack up the Stang myself. I just ended up doing the rears so it was especially easy. I planned on doing the front, but I like the the nearly plumb level look it has now. The back is not quite 1/4" higher than the front now!! BEAUTIFUL. Oh, and I can't tell a difference in ride comfort. Here are some before (top) and after (bottom) pics (yes, also posted in another thread, sorry):

Old 5/19/06, 11:27 PM
Bullitt Member

How bad will it be to drive around if the rear springs were put on upside down? I may not be able to get back to the place that installed them for a few days.
Old 5/20/06, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by hatchttu
How bad will it be to drive around if the rear springs were put on upside down? I may not be able to get back to the place that installed them for a few days.
Check PM.
Old 5/20/06, 09:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Bill, Thanks for the PM. I called them today and they reinstalled them.
Attached Images  
Old 5/20/06, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by hatchttu
Bill, Thanks for the PM. I called them today and they reinstalled them.
That's great!

btw- Nice looking GT!
Old 5/21/06, 12:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Thank you! Yours is very nice as well
Old 9/9/06, 07:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

I know this is an old thread, but I have a couple questions:

- exactly how do you measure the rear axle alignment?
- have the rear springs sagged (gotten lower) with time?
- if I find that I need a panhard bar, is it difficult to install?
- I've read that the rear diff shoudln't be used as a jacking point. Is that true? What's an alternative jacking point?
- where did you place the jackstands (for the rear install - can't tell in the pics)?
- did you use a torque wrench when putting things back together, or just tighten until snug?

TIA

Quick Reply: Steeda Ultralite spring install complete!