GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steeda Shortie Header Install Starts Today

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/07, 05:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Hey, thanks for the pix! They certainly look much better, that's for sure.
Old 3/4/07, 09:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did have to mess with the steering stuff. Has any one had any issues with gaskets blowing or having to re torq after 3K or so??

Yes. FRPP ceramic coated shorties. Re-torqued twice because I used the POS bolts that came with the headers instead of buying some ARPs. Also, in retrospect, I wish I would have just reused the stock metal gaskets. Took me from 10 a.m. Friday morning until 3 a.m. Saturday morning on my back, on jack stands. Didn't remove anything...just carefully wiggled everything out. When I drove the car, the driver's side manifold made contact with the steering column on a right hand turn (engine leans left). Called FRPP hotline and they said about 30% of cars do this (lucky me). Stiffer motor mounts or centering the motor can fix it, so I loosened the top motor mounts and moved the motor over with a 2x4 while the wife ran the impact gun. Solved the problem for all but high speed right turns where I can feel it slightly touching the steering column. Guess I'll be buying some motor mounts. Didn't notice any increase in power, improvement in sound, but they sure are pretty.
Old 3/4/07, 10:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by smitty
I did have to mess with the steering stuff. Has any one had any issues with gaskets blowing or having to re torq after 3K or so??

Yes. FRPP ceramic coated shorties. Re-torqued twice because I used the POS bolts that came with the headers instead of buying some ARPs. Also, in retrospect, I wish I would have just reused the stock metal gaskets. Took me from 10 a.m. Friday morning until 3 a.m. Saturday morning on my back, on jack stands. Didn't remove anything...just carefully wiggled everything out. When I drove the car, the driver's side manifold made contact with the steering column on a right hand turn (engine leans left). Called FRPP hotline and they said about 30% of cars do this (lucky me). Stiffer motor mounts or centering the motor can fix it, so I loosened the top motor mounts and moved the motor over with a 2x4 while the wife ran the impact gun. Solved the problem for all but high speed right turns where I can feel it slightly touching the steering column. Guess I'll be buying some motor mounts. Didn't notice any increase in power, improvement in sound, but they sure are pretty.
The same exact thing happened to me when my FRPP shorties were installed. At first, they were rubbing the steering rod really bad, so I took it back to where it was installed (Ford Motorsports center) and they loosened the motor mounts and moved over the engine as much as possible. In high speed (right) turns I could definitely still feel it rubbing. That's when I called Ford Racing and they recommended we dent it a little. The first time it was dented about 1/4 inch. That still didn't work as I could still get it to rub very slightly. I took it back again and they took dented it another 1/4 inch and finally I can turn right at any speed without contact. I was considering the new (Steeda) motor mounts which are stiffer, but I was advised by a tech at Ford Racing not to do that because it would cause considerable vibration and shaking in the chassis (the reason Ford included those hydro motor mounts on the Mustang in the first place). In the end a half-inch dent which cannot be seen unless the car is lifted (and I doubt affects performance) seemed to be the best decision for me. Rubbing gone...car hauls butt!

~Ray
Old 3/5/07, 11:03 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the passenger header installed last night! both are in! and motor is lowered back down ! I want to thank (Taco Bill) his pictures and info came in very handy when it came to installing the passenger header! Bill's (how to list) thread on his O/R H-pipe install had valuable photo's and one trick! that really helped. The removal of the battery and tray to excess the O2 sensor ended up making it possible to remove the manifold and hang the header from the top! This saved some on my back time! I'm going to install the steering shaft and factory cats and H-pipe today! then see if it will start!.........lol!..........Here are some pics of the passenger header compared to the manifold and it installed!
Attached Thumbnails Steeda Shortie Header Install Starts Today-mvc-028s.jpg   Steeda Shortie Header Install Starts Today-mvc-030s.jpg   Steeda Shortie Header Install Starts Today-mvc-029s.jpg  
Old 3/5/07, 12:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Wow that's gotta be record install time for an old-timer....... good job STD keep us posted!
Old 3/5/07, 04:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Let us know it any "issues" crop up. FRPP said only 30% of the cars rub and I know you bought Steeda tubes, but from what I see in the pictures, they are shaped the same as the FRPP parts.

Good Job!
Old 3/5/07, 05:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Steeda Shortie Headers are installed! Finished putting the cats and H-pipe on! and took it for a drive! Cold startup seemed a little quieter, warm idle was quieter! seem a little smoother on hard acceleration from stop! ran it hard to 110 mph I noticed a little more low end torque. I tried some hard acceleration while cornering so far the steering shaft has not hit the header! I say their what you can expect for a $320.00 performance add on, a little gain! but all the little bits add up!
Old 3/5/07, 05:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Scott,
Glad you got the install finished and she is up and running again. Bet you need some Aleve and some couch time after that old man. I am trying to figure out why the shorties would make it quieter. Anyone know?
Scott
Old 3/5/07, 05:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Wow that's gotta be record install time for an old-timer....... good job STD keep us posted!
Thanks! Tom, You really know how to make a old man feel good!.. I think I will call brenspeed tomorrow and order a Super Charger and tell them to bill it to you!!! O' buddy.....My engine compartment would so much better with a big sexy Vortech! packed in it, especially with you paying for it. thats the least you could for a old man!...
Attached Thumbnails Steeda Shortie Header Install Starts Today-mvc-049s.jpg  
Old 3/5/07, 05:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey Scott,
Glad you got the install finished and she is up and running again. Bet you need some Aleve and some couch time after that old man. I am trying to figure out why the shorties would make it quieter. Anyone know?
Scott
Smoother flow = less resonance??? Just a WAG.
Old 3/5/07, 05:44 PM
Cobra Member

I have no idea why it would be quieter with better flowing headers. I thought more flow equaled louder exhaust note.
Old 3/5/07, 05:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Thanks! Tom, You really know how to make a old man feel good!.. I think I will call brenspeed tomorrow and order a Super Charger and tell them to bill it to you!!! O' buddy.....My engine compartment would so much better with a big sexy Vortech! packed in it, especially with you paying for it. thats the least you could for a old man!...

Hey pal, nice try! My wife would paint my back porch red if I bought another blower though...... she wants a TV in her truck and a Louis Vutton purse in trade for my Vortech. I swear if I could find someone to take over the payments, I'd consider letting her go LOL!!! Of course I'm referring to the wife, not the Vortech.
Old 3/5/07, 05:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Hey Scott,
Scott
I'm into Tylenol and the sofa is in my plans! I was surprised Scott but it does seem quieter....
Old 3/5/07, 05:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Smoother flow, less resonance??? Just a WAG.

Maybe STD needs a new battery in his hearing aid!!!
Scott
Old 3/5/07, 05:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Dam it Scott you read my mind..... man I gotta be faster next time.
Old 3/5/07, 05:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Hey pal, nice try! My wife would paint my back porch red if I bought another blower though...... she wants a TV in her truck and a Louis Vutton purse in trade for my Vortech. I swear if I could find someone to take over the payments, I'd consider letting her go LOL!!!
Tom I've traded a couple of them (wives) in over the years! It really is cheaper to keep them!..........I can't imagine what its going to cost me when my wife finds out I got new wheels and tires on the way after spending the whole weekend putting the headers on...
Old 3/5/07, 05:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Tom I've traded a couple of them (wives) in over the years! It really is cheaper to keep them!..........I can't imagine what its going to cost me when my wife finds out I got new wheels and tires on the way after spending the whole weekend putting the headers on...
Haha you're probably right about it being cheaper....... good point!
Old 3/5/07, 06:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Maybe STD needs a new battery in his hearing aid!!!
Scott
Huh! what?...........Hey Scott! get off your sofa and put that 3000.00 worth of wheels in garage on your car!........
Old 3/5/07, 06:09 PM
Cobra Member

Tom,it probably is cheaper cause if you get another wife she may charge double the trade in price for the blower that your current one wants.
Old 3/5/07, 06:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Huh! what?...........Hey Scott! get off your sofa and put that 3000.00 worth of wheels in garage on your car!........
Ohhh... now that's just mean.

Quick Reply: Steeda Shortie Header Install Starts Today