GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steeda - Performance Tune That Adapts

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/08, 02:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Just another flash tool? Are you saying you think the flash tool automatically determines what the program can do? If so you are not understanding what I have explained the system is capable of.

The tool used to install the program has nothing to do with what the program is capable of. I've already given an example of what the programming can do. Show us "just another flash tool" that has a program that will do what I described. There isn't one out there that will.

Only thing I agree with is the fact you'll need to use an SCT tuner for automatics, as we are not offering this program currently for automatics.

Gus

No Gus, I don't think its the flash tool that does the trick. I realize that its the program and whats in the program, and when the SCT software catches up, then I'll show you another flash tool that does the same thing. You know, I've always respected Steeda (and Dario) and understood his philosophy, heck, I've lusted over many of the "Q's", but now I'm starting to sense an arrogance that I don't like, kinda like the SVT Cobra owners give us lesser mortals who just own Mustangs. (Not saying all SVT owners are like this, btw!!)

John
Old 2/29/08, 12:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug904
Yes, they said it was for the 07 and newer manuals only.

I think this is because they are using a lot of similar values from the Bullitt calibration on these PCMs and they are just back dating it to the 07's. The 05-06's don't have a lot of the same values in the PCM programming as the later so this is probably why this is like this. Not saying this in stone but just assuming.
Doug

I have spent some time looking over the calibration for the 07 GT w/ manual and I don't really see anything that stands out as being a new "adaptive" system. The knock sensor values/settings all appear to be the same as the older Ford Mustangs with knock sensors unless I am overlooking something, or SCT has locked out access.
Old 3/1/08, 10:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alot of this is technical data which I am not allowed to get specific on. The system will monitor a variety of data, not just the common parameters knows through aftermarket tuning to make sure everything is safe. Meaning proper spark with no detonation and safe air fuel ratio.
Call me a skeptic. The ECU just doesn't have access to data that would allow it to adjust fuel for optimum A/F in open loop.

Oh well. Time will tell. Hopefully, someone DID come up with a bit of electronic wizardy and this actually works as advertised. That would definitely be VERY nice.
Old 3/1/08, 11:31 AM

So how exactly does one get this tune and what is the cost? Sorry if missed this, but I can't find anything on the Steeda site.
Old 3/1/08, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by hiznherponies
No Gus, I don't think its the flash tool that does the trick. I realize that its the program and whats in the program, and when the SCT software catches up, then I'll show you another flash tool that does the same thing. You know, I've always respected Steeda (and Dario) and understood his philosophy, heck, I've lusted over many of the "Q's", but now I'm starting to sense an arrogance that I don't like, kinda like the SVT Cobra owners give us lesser mortals who just own Mustangs. (Not saying all SVT owners are like this, btw!!)

John

Hi John,

Go ahead and keep waiting, I doubt very much that SCT will "catch up" as you say and produce a similar product unless they join the Ford technolgy partnership program. Even then they will be months if not years behind. As it is now SCT can barely keep up with what products they currently have and every new flash tool they have released has had buggy and incomplete software that did not do what they advertised until later firmware updates were relased by which time they were releasing a new buggy product. SCT is the Microsoft of handheld programmers with public betas that they get to pay for. The new Steeda ECU reflashed program is a CARB certified replacement program for the stock ECU and is obviously (to an old school realtime programer) well beyond the simple lookup value table based systems in use today. When Steeda and Ford release their new flash tool this fall they will have the only high performance oriented CARB certified (50 state) flash tool with adaptive performance oriented ECU programming on the market for these cars. With what Ford learns from Steeda they wil be able to use similar techniques with all of their premium engines.

HTH!
Old 3/1/08, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffs08GT
So how exactly does one get this tune and what is the cost? Sorry if missed this, but I can't find anything on the Steeda site.

$400
Old 3/1/08, 10:10 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyDNA
Hi John,

Go ahead and keep waiting, I doubt very much that SCT will "catch up" as you say and produce a similar product unless they join the Ford technolgy partnership program. Even then they will be months if not years behind. As it is now SCT can barely keep up with what products they currently have and every new flash tool they have released has had buggy and incomplete software that did not do what they advertised until later firmware updates were relased by which time they were releasing a new buggy product. SCT is the Microsoft of handheld programmers with public betas that they get to pay for. The new Steeda ECU reflashed program is a CARB certified replacement program for the stock ECU and is obviously (to an old school realtime programer) well beyond the simple lookup value table based systems in use today. When Steeda and Ford release their new flash tool this fall they will have the only high performance oriented CARB certified (50 state) flash tool with adaptive performance oriented ECU programming on the market for these cars. With what Ford learns from Steeda they wil be able to use similar techniques with all of their premium engines.

HTH!
Despite having adaptive tune capabilities, it still remains CARB certified. Meaning that it's going to have the same old conservative tune, as the current 50 state flash tool. In which absolutely does nothing for getting rid of the stock PCM throttle lag/response issues.
Old 3/2/08, 10:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
A few years ago, SCT was the front-runner for tuning Fords due to the experience and knowledge in their personnel (ex-Ford engineers, etc...) but I am not sure where they are now. Steeda's gear does look interesting, but based on some of the discussions and info on the SCT forums, it appears the new adaptive stuff is just marketing hype. If it is applicable for 07-up, I don't see how it wouldn't work for the 96-06 Mustangs with knock sensors because there's nothing special about the PCM or knock sensors that would make it exclusive for 08, UNLESS 08 had specific hardware designed to accomodate the spark advance based on the octane of gasoline used. AFAIK, octane sensors are expensive, so the OEM can only afford some other means of "detecting" the octane of fuel being used.
Old 3/2/08, 06:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, I'd rather wait until the prices are brought down by competition from other companies and SCT (b/c I prefer to have a tune by Doug!!) has caught up with the technology. I'm never the first to buy anything, my cellphone is outdated (by 2 years), my computer who knows how outdated it is, I just bought a tuner and intake for my car almost 1 1/2 years after getting the car, waiting doesn't bother me (except for winter to end!!).

John
Old 3/2/08, 09:21 PM
GT Member

The bottom line to me is the dyno numbers. I want to see some numbers with the similar equipment I have. If I'm going to make the same or less HP but only gain the ability to run different octanes wihout a re-tune then I'm not interested. Throttle response has my attention...but I want more HP than I'm getting from my custom-tuned SCT flash.

~Ray
Old 3/2/08, 09:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

A couple of questions I have about this "new" technology in tuning are these, why only manual transmissions? I know the PCM controls the automatic too, so why wouldn't this new technology work for automatics? And, I'd like to see what kind of hp and torque is this making? All of this talk about having to send in the PCM now but later there will be a flash tool reminds me of the FRPP/Roushcharger and Saleen superchargers when they first came out. Oh well, we'll see!!
Old 3/2/08, 10:32 PM
Bullitt Member

If this was my company...I would have had tests out and the HP gains listed in the ad. That is what everyone wants to see. So why was it not stated???

I know nothing about this new product. Just seems wrong to advertise something so good and no hp numbers with a basic CAI and this new information...I do not know is it me or what???

I am not putting this product down or anything. I just would have shown some gains if it is that Special and must have new product...Yes, I did take Marketing, maybe it is just me...
Old 3/3/08, 12:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

For me, it would require a new PCM about $600, plus the steeda tune $400. So for a $1,000 bucks I get a performance tune that detects my octane too. I can detect what octane is in the car when I fill it. Cost for my detector is $0.00.
I think we all want to see some verification/numbers on this new technology.
Old 3/3/08, 07:02 PM
ba2

This all sounds like the software that was in my 1998 C5. No Matter what I changed on my car the computer accepted it. It learned how I drove and adapted to it. This ain't rocket science.

Sounds good but I need it for an automatic.
Old 4/15/08, 05:21 PM
GT Member

I found an in-depth article on it from Steeda, but there is no mention of HP gains in the claim of "MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE AT ALL TIMES AND UNDER ALL CONDITIONS!!"

I'm waiting for a TMS member to buy one and give some feedback.

Here is the link: http://www.steeda.com/news/steeda_ne...alibration.php

Last edited by tifo; 4/15/08 at 05:28 PM.
Old 4/16/08, 09:42 AM

Iam having the Whipple with Adaptive Performance Calibration installed right now on my 08 by powerhouse. Ill let you know how it turns out
Old 4/16/08, 04:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cosmo
Iam having the Whipple with Adaptive Performance Calibration installed right now on my 08 by powerhouse. Ill let you know how it turns out
So that's the one from steeda right? Let us know how it works out!

thanks,
Ray
Old 4/21/08, 12:16 PM
Cobra Member

Here's a link to some track numbers we got over the weekend with a Q500.

http://www.southfloridastangs.net/sfsforum/showthread.php?p=429722#post429722

Gus
Old 5/18/08, 10:30 PM
GT Member

Gus,
Do you have any Dyno numbers for a CAI and the adaptive tune? There must be someone who has them...

~Ray
Old 5/19/08, 08:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a link to some track numbers we got over the weekend with a Q500.

http://www.southfloridastangs.net/sfsforum/showthread.php?p=429722#post429722

Gus

Is there some way we can get this information without having to set up another login account?

BB
Semper Fi

Quick Reply: Steeda - Performance Tune That Adapts