GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steeda - Performance Tune That Adapts

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/08, 01:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, y'all need to remember that Steeda has been in bed with Ford for a while (technology-transfer), and second, that Ford has been advertising that their tunings (including Steedas) are far superior to others. Me, I've got no problems with having my car tuned by Doug, even if its just by email. If I have any problems with my car, I'll just contact Doug or return it to stock and see the dealer, not going to pay $400 bucks to send out my PCM for a reflash.
Old 2/27/08, 01:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by YaoNYC
gus! my man!is this avaialbe for '05-06 stangs???why dyno results u seeing?please let us know!!
It can be used on a 2005-06 if a 2007 processor is installed into the vehicle. In 2007 Ford made some substantial internal hardware changes to the processor. The 05-06 model processors do not contain the hardware power required to run the programming of the new adaptive calibration so the upgrade must be done in order to be able to use it.
Old 2/27/08, 02:31 PM

And when will these be available? I did not see where they can be ordered on their website. Just called Steeda order by phone for now and you have to send in your processor.
Old 2/27/08, 02:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Sounds like marketing at work....
Old 2/27/08, 02:41 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Doug904
They claim that the n/a tune will adjust for every air intake out there
Thats correct.

Its funny how they can say that they think the MAX is what everyone wants out there
Every customer that comes to you or us wants to get rid of the throttle lag on their drive by wire Mustang. It is a matter of doing business that you're going to get 1 in every 1000 customers that simply thinks its too much. We are pretty confident however that customers will be quite happy with the throttle response of our calibration, particularly in supercharged applications where lightning fast throttle response is pretty much expected.

Don't even get me started on the MAX transmission shifting pressures
Since this is only for manual transmission, we dont have to worry about that.

No tuner purchase and for the S/C applications it only works with the Whipple. In other words its not as "Adaptive" as its being marketed.
Thats a pretty bold statement to make. I would have expected better from someone with your knowledge and reputation. Or maybe you are just trying to protect your own sales. Don't worry. There is still a place for the flash tuner and SCT software. This application is not for everyone, but it does have its advantages.

No SCT calibration is going to automatically sense octane level and adjust timing properly. If you took your Whipplecharged car and let your wife borrow the car and she mistakenly puts 87 octane in the car without telling you, the next time you get on it with a custom SCT tune, you can say goodbye to that engine. Not so with our calibration as it can sense engine octane and compensate to save it from detonation. That is how powerful this system is.

It is so powerful and complex, the program will not physically run on an 05-06 processor. As I said in an earlier post Ford changed the internal hardware on the 07+ processors and only the 07+ processor will run the calibration.

You of all people should know that as many parameters as SCT controls it is only a small portion of the thousands of parameters in the modern processor. Even the average customer who has read a few books will know this. SCT software, as good as it is, and it is the best out there for custom tuning, does not and will not allow for what this system can do.

As for only working on Whipples, we are not going to say it works on other applications without having thoroughly tested it. We feel it will work with other applications, however until it is tested and verified dont expect us to make such claims.

Gus
Old 2/27/08, 03:17 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
I look Forward to Customer Feedback on this Item. As an Fyi an 07 Processor Lists For $606.00. I wonder If a Guy Could Just Get an 08 Bullitt Processor If he Wants That Tune and and adaptive octane Capabilities????

KC
Old 2/27/08, 03:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

As for only working on Whipples, we are not going to say it works on other applications without having thoroughly tested it. We feel it will work with other applications, however until it is tested and verified dont expect us to make such claims.

Gus

This was the information I got when I called this morning about it. I think it is a bold statement to say that a single calibration will work with all n/a and superchargers but thats what you say in the flyer, you don't it doesn't say that this is a multiple type flash, one for n/a and one for s/c, but rather only that it works on all 07 and newer cars.

Still, I look forward to seeing it on a few cars and comparing it to other tunes. Using the 08 calibrations on earlier model cars is something in the tuning world that we can all learn from.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 2/27/08, 08:00 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey Gus, is this for all model year 07's or calander year 07's? I picked my 07 up in december of 06 and it occurs to me (since I'm firmly in the "If I didn't have any bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all" crowd) that I'd probably be in the .0000099999% of 07's that would more than likely have to spring for a new PCM to take advantage of something like this.
Old 2/28/08, 04:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I personally prefer a hand-held tuner. So if you get this new gimmick from Steeda, and say 6mo from now you have 4.10's installed - do you have to have Steeda make an adjustment? How? You send them your car's main processor?
Old 2/28/08, 06:33 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks Gus!

Was this tested on automatic mustangs? why dyno results u seeing?
Old 2/28/08, 07:44 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Doug904
This was the information I got when I called this morning about it. I think it is a bold statement to say that a single calibration will work with all n/a and superchargers but thats what you say in the flyer, you don't it doesn't say that this is a multiple type flash, one for n/a and one for s/c, but rather only that it works on all 07 and newer cars.

Still, I look forward to seeing it on a few cars and comparing it to other tunes. Using the 08 calibrations on earlier model cars is something in the tuning world that we can all learn from.

Thanks, Doug.
To clarify, the naturally aspirated tune will work with all naturally aspirated applications, meaning with different cold airs, H or X-pipes, etc.

The supercharged tune is currently only tested on Whipple superchargers. But we have tested it with numerous injector boost, injector, exhaust combinations and it has worked on all of them.

Gus
Old 2/28/08, 07:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bob
Hey Gus, is this for all model year 07's or calander year 07's? I picked my 07 up in december of 06 and it occurs to me (since I'm firmly in the "If I didn't have any bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all" crowd) that I'd probably be in the .0000099999% of 07's that would more than likely have to spring for a new PCM to take advantage of something like this.
Our contacts at Ford tell us all 07's are compatible, so we should be ok there as long as that info is accurate.

Gus
Old 2/28/08, 07:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MTAS
I personally prefer a hand-held tuner. So if you get this new gimmick from Steeda, and say 6mo from now you have 4.10's installed - do you have to have Steeda make an adjustment? How? You send them your car's main processor?
We are planning on having a flash tool available that will contain both the naturally aspirated and supercharged programs in one tool along with diagnostic and datalogging capability. We expect it to be available in the 3rd quarter of this year.

Gus
Old 2/28/08, 08:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Sooo, this is just going to be another flash tool? I'll wait until the SCT software catches up with the new Bullitt tunings!! Doug will have something for us slush-box owners!!
Old 2/28/08, 09:38 AM

gears

I asked about the gears with Steeda as well and my understanding is you would have to send the processor back to them.
Old 2/28/08, 10:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SteedaGus,

I would like to know how this part would work: "Specifically, your engine calibration will automatically adjust so that no horsepower/torque levels will be delivered that exceed the capacity of your fuel pump, injectors, or mass air meter"

I would assume it monitors the PWM drive to the pump and injectors and the voltage output of the MAF and reduces the throttle to prevent any of them from getting pegged.

Of course, the question I REALLY want to know is how does the system automatically know what the injector duty cycle SHOULD be given that none of these cars have a WB O2 sensor installed and there is no way to know what the actual A/F is without it. That makes automatically adjusting the fuel delivery a bit tricky.
Old 2/28/08, 01:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by hiznherponies
Sooo, this is just going to be another flash tool? I'll wait until the SCT software catches up with the new Bullitt tunings!! Doug will have something for us slush-box owners!!
Just another flash tool? Are you saying you think the flash tool automatically determines what the program can do? If so you are not understanding what I have explained the system is capable of.

The tool used to install the program has nothing to do with what the program is capable of. I've already given an example of what the programming can do. Show us "just another flash tool" that has a program that will do what I described. There isn't one out there that will.

Only thing I agree with is the fact you'll need to use an SCT tuner for automatics, as we are not offering this program currently for automatics.

Gus
Old 2/28/08, 01:41 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by rwag
I asked about the gears with Steeda as well and my understanding is you would have to send the processor back to them.
Some of us here were misinformed on this. The correct answer is the program will be serviceable by Ford dealers so if you need to have a gear correction done after a gear install Ford dealers can service it in the field. That is until our flash tool is available later this year.

Gus
Old 2/28/08, 01:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RRRoamer
SteedaGus,

I would like to know how this part would work: "Specifically, your engine calibration will automatically adjust so that no horsepower/torque levels will be delivered that exceed the capacity of your fuel pump, injectors, or mass air meter"

I would assume it monitors the PWM drive to the pump and injectors and the voltage output of the MAF and reduces the throttle to prevent any of them from getting pegged.

Of course, the question I REALLY want to know is how does the system automatically know what the injector duty cycle SHOULD be given that none of these cars have a WB O2 sensor installed and there is no way to know what the actual A/F is without it. That makes automatically adjusting the fuel delivery a bit tricky.
Alot of this is technical data which I am not allowed to get specific on. The system will monitor a variety of data, not just the common parameters knows through aftermarket tuning to make sure everything is safe. Meaning proper spark with no detonation and safe air fuel ratio.

The biggest differences are the spark and air fuel ratio's we want to see between naturally aspirated and supercharged cars, hence the seperate programs for each application in order to achieve those conditions.
Old 2/28/08, 01:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
I look Forward to Customer Feedback on this Item. As an Fyi an 07 Processor Lists For $606.00. I wonder If a Guy Could Just Get an 08 Bullitt Processor If he Wants That Tune and and adaptive octane Capabilities????

KC
Kevin,
Is the PCM module plug and play? Won't an 07 module throw some wacky codes in an 05?

Quick Reply: Steeda - Performance Tune That Adapts