GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steeda CAI w Steeda tune or C/L Racer w Bamachips tune

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/08, 09:47 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steeda CAI w Steeda tune or C/L Racer w Bamachips tune

Ive done a lot of research on CAI and Ive narrowed it down to 2. I know a lot of them are very close, but Steeda claims over 30rwhp w/ their carbon fiber kit. My question is which combo would give more power? Steeda CAI w Steeda tune or C/L Racer w Bamachips tune. I will also be picking up a pair of Steeda Underdrive pulleys as well. Anyone ever have a Steeda and switch C/L or vice versa. If so whats the reason? Bamachips has a great tune I heard, but what about Steeda?

Edit: Car is 09 GT.
Old 8/13/08, 09:59 PM
V6 Member

I think the Steeda kit is better built and just looks better but I would rather have the bamachips tune. Doug at Bamachips will do a tune for the Steeda kit. I have an 08 Bullitt intake (because I am a stickler for things fitting like factory) but the Steeda kit would be my second choice. I also use Bamachips tune and am very satisfied. The reason I went with bama is from what I read he is the auto trans guru and after having his tune installed and riding other auto cars without his tune I am a believer! My friends car went .15 and 2mph faster and that was with wheelspin when switching to his tune from a competitors.
Old 8/13/08, 10:09 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by JOEGTS
I think the Steeda kit is better built and just looks better but I would rather have the bamachips tune. Doug at Bamachips will do a tune for the Steeda kit. I have an 08 Bullitt intake (because I am a stickler for things fitting like factory) but the Steeda kit would be my second choice. I also use Bamachips tune and am very satisfied. The reason I went with bama is from what I read he is the auto trans guru and after having his tune installed and riding other auto cars without his tune I am a believer! My friends car went .15 and 2mph faster and that was with wheelspin when switching to his tune from a competitors.
Steeda has a SCT/CAI/pulley combo for $900. Seems like a fair deal. Maybe go that route and pay $50 for the file from Bama afterwards. If your friend got .15 out of it, the $50 for the file would make more of a difference than the hardware lol.
Old 8/14/08, 05:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I don't think you will feel the few hp diff between the two. I think you will be happy either way you go.
Old 8/14/08, 09:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After my dealing with them the past few days and a horrible salesman, I say go with C&L w/ Bama. Glenn is right, that you most likely wont see the couple ponies diff. I do think all the graphs show that the Steeda package has the most HP tho.
Old 8/16/08, 04:14 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Just want to point out, if you don't want to deal with Steeda directly. You can purchase both the Steeda CAI, and X-cal II combo from Brenspeed. Here's the link below.

http://www.brenspeed.com/555-3131.html
Old 8/16/08, 04:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been having troubles with the Steeda intake and AFR on my '05. But my Bama tune and C&L Racer on my '07 is doing awesome. I would recommend that setup. It also has a larger MAF, so if you ever get cams, nitrous, or ported heads, you're good to go.
Old 8/17/08, 10:52 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Just want to point out, if you don't want to deal with Steeda directly. You can purchase both the Steeda CAI, and X-cal II combo from Brenspeed. Here's the link below.

http://www.brenspeed.com/555-3131.html

Sweet thank you. I saw the post w/ Steedas crappy customer service so I wont be buying from them. I will most likely go with a C/L Street setup from Bama or Brenspeed. I take it the gains are pretty identical?
Old 9/13/08, 12:58 PM

Has anyone seen a new kit by Bamachips. Not really new just a combination. It's the C&L Street/Racer intake. The difference it it uses the MAF housing from the Street version on the rest of the Racer intake.... Other than having the brace what else would the benefits be? It's stated that it makes the same power as the street version. Anyone here have this kit?
Old 9/13/08, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by vaheek
Sweet thank you. I saw the post w/ Steedas crappy customer service so I wont be buying from them. I will most likely go with a C/L Street setup from Bama or Brenspeed. I take it the gains are pretty identical?
IMHO, I would say the gains are pretty much identical.
Old 9/15/08, 08:04 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would use the C&L racer and Bama tune. I have a JLT and Bama tune and Love it. I wanted the C&L racer but I got the JLT because it was cheaper. I will later sell it and probably buy the C&L racer but for now it fine.
Old 9/17/08, 05:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
I talked with Rick at Springfield Motorsport in VA. He said that the Steeda was hands down the intake with the most power and thats the one he recommends. He says they've gotten as much as +40 HP on their dyno with just that intake and their tune. Thats one opinion of many
Old 9/17/08, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cavero
I talked with Rick at Springfield Motorsport in VA. He said that the Steeda was hands down the intake with the most power and thats the one he recommends. He says they've gotten as much as +40 HP on their dyno with just that intake and their tune. Thats one opinion of many
Don't take this in the wrong way, but 40+HP with just a CAI and tune. Just seems too good to be true, and that's coming straight from a fellow Steeda CAI user !
Old 9/17/08, 11:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Why not go with a Steeda CAI + Bamachips tune?? The Steeda kit also has the huge 90mm MAF. This setup absolutely rocks!!
Old 9/18/08, 06:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I would go with the C&L Racer but with a Tillman Speed tune. Chris did the dyno tune on my car and what a big difference it made..
Old 9/19/08, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by STANG_IT
Why not go with a Steeda CAI + Bamachips tune?? The Steeda kit also has the huge 90mm MAF. This setup absolutely rocks!!
That's exactly what I did over 2 years ago, and couldn't be happier. As Doug's tunes definitely bring out the very best from my Steeda CAI
Old 9/20/08, 09:08 AM
Former Vendor

We have some pretty nice tunes using the Steeda. Give us a call!

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
www.TillmanSpeed.com
610-497-5776
Old 9/21/08, 11:05 AM

I've tryed the Steeda CAI+Steeda 91tune & CAI+91 Bama Race tune..Both are good but I really felt more power with the Steeda tune..
Old 9/22/08, 12:20 PM

I love it when people see that 90MM MAF...OMG!! it has a big MAF it MUST be GOOD.

To bad that is not the case, in fact; 90 is to big, that is why they sell the street/racer package at C&L. You get the racer intake, with the street package MAF tube, which is 88MM, which is the perfect size for our cars. 90MM is to big, 82MM to small. 88MM for the win.

I ordered my C&L Racer with bamatunes and the 88MM MAF tube and I have had fantastic results.
Old 9/29/08, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Wind-Farmer
I love it when people see that 90MM MAF...OMG!! it has a big MAF it MUST be GOOD.

To bad that is not the case, in fact; 90 is to big, that is why they sell the street/racer package at C&L. You get the racer intake, with the street package MAF tube, which is 88MM, which is the perfect size for our cars. 90MM is to big, 82MM to small. 88MM for the win.

I ordered my C&L Racer with bamatunes and the 88MM MAF tube and I have had fantastic results.
Just for the record, I've had my 90MM Steeda CAI with Bamachip's tunes for well over 2 years. In which I've also had fantastic results as well.

As for the C&L street MAF size is concerned, it's actually 83MM in diameter, and not 88MM.

That being said, I strongly recommend you contact Lee Bender over at C&L, whom will also confirm that 83MM, is the actual size of the C&L street MAF tube.

And FYI, whomever told you that 90MM MAF, is too large for our cars. Is absolutely full of

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/29/08 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Steeda CAI w Steeda tune or C/L Racer w Bamachips tune