GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

State Inspections and Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/07, 02:57 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
State Inspections and Tuning

People are frequently asking about tunes and state inspection.
I got my car done today and in my state all they check is the OBDII.
If you have driven the car 50 miles since the tune was loaded and have gotten no codes, you should have no problems.
I have a 93 octane custom tune for my K&N intake and nothing else, but if your car doesn't show any codes it won't matter what you have in it.
Of course, if your state uses a tailpipe sniffer it may be different.
Old 8/3/07, 04:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think most states these days just look at the computer for codes. If nothing is there you are good to go. After 24 years of having to E-check our cars every 2 years... with the sniffer they decided after all those years the air quaility isn't any better than when it started back in the early 80's. Most of us we be good with our mods as long as the computer has no codes or CEL's
Scott
Old 8/3/07, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NC Inspection

Had mine in today for inspection and got a "Not-ready rejection" report. A couple of the things they check came back "not ready" (O2 Sensor/Heater, Catalyst). They asked if I'd had the battery unhooked lately (I haven't) and to drive it 150 miles and bring it back.

I have the JLTII and Doug's race tune loaded right now but I did that several thousand miles ago.

I'm guessing I'm going to have to go back to the stock air box and tune to get it inspected.
Old 8/3/07, 07:48 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,611 Posts
There's a difference between, State Inspection and State Emissons Inspection ! If most of you, are referring to the Emissions Inspection ? Then, you'll need to reflash back to stock, and also re-install your factory airboxes..Otherwise, you're car won't pass, due to the rear 02 sensors being turned off..Just my $.02
Old 8/3/07, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

My car passed both the NYS inspection and the NYS emission test (just and ODB test), I have JLT and long tube headers. in NY as long as there are no CEL or any codes it will pass.
Old 8/3/07, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
There's a difference between, State Inspection and State Emissons Inspection ! If most of you, are referring to the Emissions Inspection ? Then, you'll need to reflash back to stock, and also re-install your factory airboxes..Otherwise, you're car won't pass, due to the rear 02 sensors being turned off..Just my $.02

There wasn't a single correct fact in that post. Fail.
Old 8/3/07, 09:04 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt995

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkstang06
Your an idiot!....

I concur...

He's in PA. We DO have two inspections; a safety inspection and emissions inspection. Depending on your locale you may or may not be required to have emissions tested. If you are in a locale that requires it, you're exempt if you drive less than 5k per anum. Our emissions testing is not just a quick sniff, it's on a dyno. Fail.
Old 8/4/07, 12:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RobK
He's in PA. We DO have two inspections; a safety inspection and emissions inspection. Depending on your locale you may or may not be required to have emissions tested. If you are in a locale that requires it, you're exempt if you drive less than 5k per anum. Our emissions testing is not just a quick sniff, it's on a dyno. Fail.
You're not going to get failed for a **** CAI. Especially not a K&N that's even legal in Cali. And everyone has a safety and emmission inspection. IT'S THE SAME INSPECTION IF IT'S REQUIRED. Windshield wipers, turn signals, brake lights, etc, etc. That's what the "safety inspection" is.

http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/...fo_service.htm

Go read and learn something for a change. All OBDII cars are checked with a scanner and not a dyno.

Why do people insist on fighting with me everytime I point someone out for being totally wrong?
Old 8/4/07, 05:29 AM
Cobra Member

You're not going to get failed for a **** CAI. Especially not a K&N that's even legal in Cali. And everyone has a safety and emmission inspection. IT'S THE SAME INSPECTION IF IT'S REQUIRED. Windshield wipers, turn signals, brake lights, etc, etc. That's what the "safety inspection" is.

Go read and learn something for a change. All OBDII cars are checked with a scanner and not a dyno.

Why do people insist on fighting with me everytime I point someone out for being totally wrong?
You are such a pompous A S S. I never said you'd fail for the CAI, I simply reiterated that PA has two distinct and separate inspections - safety and emissions. In fact, the OP mentioned a TUNE, not just CAI. How do you know everyone out there tuning their cars knows how to change their fuel and timing curves? If someone has their car going way lean (stupid but plausible) their NOx will jump (See below). Maybe YOU should do YOUR research before you start pounding your chest about how smart you are and how stupid everyone else on this board is...

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/aq_apps/e...s/testinfo.htm

Scroll down to the dyno section...

"Why is a dynamometer used for some Tailpipe Tests?
In the Philadelphia region, where air pollution is more severe, it is necessary to reduce harmful oxides of nitrogen (NOx). To do this, the vehicle's engine must be tested while under load. The treadmill-like device is the only method of applying a load to the vehicles drive wheels to test for NOx."

And no I'm not fighting with you. I'm simply pointing out that you're totally wrong.

You're an absolute idiot when you claim to know everything and your only goal in life it to demonstrate your apparent intelligence by telling everyone else they're wrong.
Old 8/4/07, 06:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Uh-oooh. Step back from the keyboard guys and take a deep breath. Perhaps you are both correct in a way.
Old 8/4/07, 06:39 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Uh-oooh. Step back from the keyboard guys and take a deep breath. Perhaps you are both correct in a way.

Yeah, yeah. I'm just getting tired of all the "calling out". It does ZERO to add to the content and value of the forum. It's one thing to point out that something is wrong. It's a whole other story when you start inferring folks are idiots. The only thing it'll accomplish is disuading folks from posting their questions for fear they'll be lambasted. I try to make it a point to post facts and keep my opinions to myself (unless it's been solicited by the OP).
Old 8/4/07, 07:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah, yeah. I'm just getting tired of all the "calling out". It does ZERO to add to the content and value of the forum. It's one thing to point out that something is wrong. It's a whole other story when you start inferring folks are idiots. The only thing it'll accomplish is disuading folks from posting their questions for fear they'll be lambasted. I try to make it a point to post facts and keep my opinions to myself (unless it's been solicited by the OP).

Your right! Just take the high road. Be cool.
Old 8/4/07, 07:36 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

As I pointed out originally...
Some states use a sniffer.
Our state has only had the OBDII test for the past 2 years (and we fought against that).
I was really only addressing similar states (every place is a little bit different).
Apparently, you are still in the State of Confusion.
Old 8/4/07, 08:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Go to Idaho. NO inspection for anything ('cept Boise). I think negative tint is legal!
Old 8/4/07, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

I had the same problem. I ended got a new tune from VMP to leave my rear o2s on, and switched back to my stock H-pipe for a week. VMP sent me a tune for my JLT-II and CMCV deletes , so they would not throw any codes.
For $50 it was much better than pulling the intake and switching the plates back to stock. Not that the job is that hard, but I'd prefer to not bolt and un-bolt parts from an aluminum block too often.
Old 8/4/07, 10:46 AM

Let's get something straight right now! First off, I wasn't referring to the state safety inspection. I clearly stated that I was referring to the state emissions inspection ONLY. And second! I didn't mention a single word about cold air intakes, as being the reason for causing the failure either... As I once again clearly stated that you'll need to re-flash back to the stock tune, otherwise, the car will fail as a direct result, of the rear 02 sensors being turned off... And finally, the reason for re-installing the stock airbox was directed towards those who run a cold air intake which require a computer re-flash, and NOT towards those who DO NOT! And ROBK, was absolutely 100% right on the money, as here in PA. we do have two inspections: a safety inspection and emissions inspection... Depending on your locale you may or may not be required to have emissions tested... If you are in a locale that requires it, you're exempt if you drive less than 5k per year... Our emissions testing is not just a quick sniff, it's on a dyno. Fail. [/quote] Therefore, before you come in here shooting, you're d@mn mouth off and accusing someone of being wrong? learn how to friggin read accurately and make certain you have your facts straight... And btw: since when in the hell did you ever become such an expert on Pennsylvania law? At least, I have both the courage and consideration towards others when it comes to admitting my mistakes!

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/23 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Revised Text
Old 8/4/07, 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm in Maryland. I had some work done about 500 miles ago (about a month - car is only driven weekends, some week day evenings) and just came back from the EMISSIONS inspection. When they connected the OBDII line up, they said they couldn't see ANY codes at all, and I needed to drive it a bit more. I would think 500 miles since the battery was disconnected would be enough. I've got a call into my tuner but I would like to know what is going on.

John
Old 8/4/07, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Your right! Just take the high road. Be cool.
And why don't you do the same Scott? At least somebody in these forums actually gives a rat's a$$, when it comes to insulting another member's integrity...

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/23 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Revised Text
Old 8/4/07, 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Let's get something straight right now ! First off, I wasn't referring to the state safety inspection..I clearly stated, that I was referring to the state emissions inspection ONLY..And second ! I didn't mention a single word about cold air intakes, as being the reason for causing the failure either.. As I once again clearly stated, that you'll need to re-flash back to the stock tune ! Otherwise, the car will fail as the direct result, of the rear 02 sensors being turned off..And finally, the reason for re-installing the stock airbox ? was directed towards those, who run a cold air intake which require a computer re-flash, and NOT towards those who DO NOT !
Ok, I'm going to calmly, and constructively explain.

1. I know what you were refering to, every state has two inspections for metro areas. It's not a special thing for PA.

2. Rear 02 sensors are not turned off on a car that only has a CAI. Turning off rear 02's only happens when cars have LT (the rear 02's aren't even there). Even further, turned off rear 02's will not cause a car to fail. They look to see if you have any outstanding OBDII codes. No codes? Pass.

I get the same scan here in Texas. I went in to a shop that had been busted recently for selling illegal stickers so it was under supervision by the state (definatly not going to cut me any slack). Car has long tubes, nitrous, obviously tuned, etc...

Passed with flying colors. I even had illegal tint on my car and I still passed the safety inspection.
Old 8/4/07, 12:19 PM

Hey Rob! Just wanted to note, that I really appreciate the courage for stepping up to the plate, by sticking up for a fellow forum member, towards such inconsiderate and ignorant remarks...Just as you mentioned, it's one thing to point out to someone that they may be incorrect about something and that you may not agree with them... However, that also doesn't give anybody the right to come into this forum, and insult someone's intelligence by referring to them as idiots just for the sake of not agreeing with them! At least, whenever I happen to be wrong about anything, I have the courage and consideration towards others to admit to it.... Anyway, thanks once again

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/23 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Revised Text

Quick Reply: State Inspections and Tuning