GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Sr performance alternator issues

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/15, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sr performance alternator issues

SR 150 amp alternator issue
So I bought a sr performance 150amp alternator because the stock one was giving me whine over the stereo and causing engine codes. I installed the alternator yesterday and when I started the car it was making a loud noise like a supercharger. Then today I drive to work. It is dark so the lights are on. I have am aero force gauge so I can se my volts. I come to a light and turn the blinker on lights flicker. I keep my foot on the brake and volts drop to 12.2 to 12.4. Does this all the way to work. Then just now it's time to go home and I start the car. No more whine coming from the alternator. Turn on lights, step on brake, turn on stereo and I get 13.9 to 14.2 volts constant. So I have a couple questions.

1. Could the alternator not being broken in caused the whine and the volts being erratic?

2. Stock alternator is 135 amp and always put out 14.2 to 14.6. New one is 150 amp and only does 13.9 to 14.2. Was the stock one overcharging thus causing me the p0345 codes?

3. Is it worth it to upgrade power wire from battery to alternator.
Old 3/12/15, 11:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not familiar with that particular alternator, but it sounds like you need to send it back.

I replaced my alternator with a PA Performance unit but it requires a new power lead going to the battery because of the higher output.

There was no whine and it charges perfectly. So I don't think it needs to be "broken in."