GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Squawking 2nd and 3rd......

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/05, 01:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read posts about people leaving 10 feet of rubber in 2nd gear, and chirping in 3rd. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if I can expect my car to do better the more it's broken in. It currently has 1005 miles on it. I run 1st up to about 5800 rpm and when I shift to second I get a very small chirp, and that's it. Nothing in 3rd. Am I expecting too much? Is my car a wimp? Am I a wimp?
Old 6/6/05, 01:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by outdoorstom@June 6, 2005, 1:40 PM
I read posts about people leaving 10 feet of rubber in 2nd gear, and chirping in 3rd. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if I can expect my car to do better the more it's broken in. It currently has 1005 miles on it. I run 1st up to about 5800 rpm and when I shift to second I get a very small chirp, and that's it. Nothing in 3rd. Am I expecting too much? Is my car a wimp? Am I a wimp?
I am assuming you have traction control off? In mine, when I shift hard into 2nd at 6000 rpm, there is a decent chirp as well as the rearend getting really fishy. That is with the traction control on. I am a little nervous to try it with it off. I also get a short chirp in 3rd gear with traction control on. Sometimes I wonder if my car is a little wimpy too. I just don't feel the acceleration in the mid-band like I thought I would. I would really like to dyno it to see if it is my imagination. I wonder what the chances are that a car would come from the factory underpowered enough to tell...say 20-30 hp.
Old 6/6/05, 01:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Your not going to get 10 feet of rubber going into second gear.

You ought to get a nice squawk though.

Third gear will give you a nice chirp.

I have done it a couple of times.
I never got near red line either.

I got mine the first time with about 800 miles. Now I have 1150.

T/C on?
Old 6/6/05, 01:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by ponyboy66@June 6, 2005, 1:47 PM
Your not going to get 10 feet of rubber going into second gear.

You ought to get a nice squawk though.

Third gear will give you a nice chirp.

I have done it a couple of times.
I never got near red line either.

I got mine the first time with about 800 miles. Now I have 1150.

T/C on?

Nope, that's with T/C off. I've never heard a peep out of it in 3rd.
Old 6/6/05, 02:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

You will get it if the road is right. On some roads all I get is a small chirp in second, but on others, like this one stop sign by my house, I can peel out and lay down another 10 feet in 2nd, and a good 3 feet in 3rd. It all depends on the pavement and how smooth it is. Concrete is best.
Old 6/6/05, 02:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

I get about 3 feet in 1st, then I shift, then 150 feet in 2nd, then 10 feet in 3rd. Of course once I smacked 2nd gear I rode the brake for about 100 feet to get the tires super hot and slick, then rode it out and smacked 3rd gear. Impressive set of posi's from one side of the road to the other. Only way to do a good burnout in the 05 is using the brakes, or otherwise you will get results like Tom. It will leave a nice patch in first, chirp in 2nd, leave about 5 to 10 feet, and if the road is slick enough, a chirp in 3rd. It just hooks up too good.
Old 6/6/05, 02:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by holeshot@June 6, 2005, 2:22 PM
I get about 3 feet in 1st, then I shift, then 150 feet in 2nd, then 10 feet in 3rd. Of course once I smacked 2nd gear I rode the brake for about 100 feet to get the tires super hot and slick, then rode it out and smacked 3rd gear. Impressive set of posi's from one side of the road to the other. Only way to do a good burnout in the 05 is using the brakes, or otherwise you will get results like Tom. It will leave a nice patch in first, chirp in 2nd, leave about 5 to 10 feet, and if the road is slick enough, a chirp in 3rd. It just hooks up too good.
Wow I hope Ford honors the warranty work for you ...
Old 6/6/05, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

As emperorjordan says; it all depends on the road surface. I have less than 400 miles on mine and on the right road, the bark and mark it leaves at the 1-2 shift can be quite impressive , as well as a chirp to 3rd, even with TC on. On other roads, you may get a grunt and not much of a mark at the 1-2, with nothing much at 3rd at all. That is really what you want anyway. That means the tires are getting traction and the car is accellerating, not making noise and burning rubber :notnice: The few times I have done this, I was shifting 5700-5900 rpm's, and I have nailed the limiter a couple of times as well , and that just takes all the fun out of a run, it just comes up on rpm's so quick.
And speaking of shifting, you have to shift fast and hard, with minimal hesitation between lifting the throttle, using the clutch, and yanking the shifter to 2nd. You only have to let off the gas a little and only press in the clutch far enough in to allow the shifter to move into the next gear, then put the go pedal back to the floor and hang-on. The quicker the better. Not at all like you do when driving around normally in traffic and such. It all seems easy to me, this is my 3rd stang with a manual tranny over the past 15 years. And one other thing, with this car, the TC doesn't seem to make a noticable difference when just accellerating and hard shifting like this.
Jeff
Old 6/6/05, 03:30 PM
Bullitt Member

My 6 chirps through third, when I shift it about 200 shy of redline almost everytime regardless of the road condition. Unless its super hot outside.
Old 6/6/05, 04:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by mustp51@June 6, 2005, 4:11 PM
And speaking of shifting, you have to shift fast and hard, with minimal hesitation between lifting the throttle, using the clutch, and yanking the shifter to 2nd. You only have to let off the gas a little and only press in the clutch far enough in to allow the shifter to move into the next gear, then put the go pedal back to the floor and hang-on. The quicker the better
Agreed.

If you go no less than half throttle on a shfit or don't let up at all you will be quite impressed.

This car screems for laying rubber.

What kind of mileage are you getting?

I heard at one time these cars were running rich.

Maybe it needs a reflash.
Old 6/6/05, 06:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by ponyboy66@June 6, 2005, 4:16 PM
Agreed.
If you go no less than half throttle on a shfit or don't let up at all you will be quite impressed.

This car screems for laying rubber.

What kind of mileage are you getting?

I heard at one time these cars were running rich.

Maybe it needs a reflash.

I'm starting to think now it's my shifting technique. I let my foot all the way off the gas when I'm shifting. I'll try halfway and see what happens. I'm getting 18.8 mpg with 1000 miles on the car. Thanks for everyone's responses and help!
Old 6/6/05, 07:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by outdoorstom@June 6, 2005, 7:22 PM
I'm starting to think now it's my shifting technique. I let my foot all the way off the gas when I'm shifting. I'll try halfway and see what happens. I'm getting 18.8 mpg with 1000 miles on the car. Thanks for everyone's responses and help!
Sure, you can lay a bunch of rubber, but you can also blow the transmission. I admit, I do like to bark 2nd, but no way am I going to powershift, it's just not worth it. Simple burnouts are much less damaging.
Old 6/6/05, 07:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by outdoorstom@June 6, 2005, 6:22 PM
Tom,

I always take my foot completely off. It is not worth it to me to blow a tranny trying to shift with the throttle. Taking my foot off, I still get good rubber in 2nd and a chirp in 3rd. I would recommend not to try the throttle shift if you want to prolong the life of your transmission.
Old 6/6/05, 07:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Glad I'm getting a Auto, I don't have to play these Reindeer games.
Old 6/6/05, 08:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@June 6, 2005, 7:34 PM
Tom,

I always take my foot completely off. It is not worth it to me to blow a tranny trying to shift with the throttle. Taking my foot off, I still get good rubber in 2nd and a chirp in 3rd. I would recommend not to try the throttle shift if you want to prolong the life of your transmission.

I definitely want to prolong the life of my transmission. I'm still learning here.....thanks for the advice! :