GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Sport springs (rear Only)

Search this Thread

Old 5/16/05, 09:08 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by max2000jp@May 16, 2005, 7:09 AM
I would say that this is going to make your handling worse. First, the spring rates aren't going to be right. Secondly, the weight distribution will be different .
The spring rates arn't that much different and I would have to leave it to someone who road races it to see if the weight shift causes any noticeable negatives. The rear end doesn't have any outward sway in very hard (70+) mph cornering and I like that. If you're going to swap out the back and front springs, it's easy enough to try it with the backs only before you change out both.
Old 5/16/05, 09:49 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by wild stray@May 16, 2005, 10:11 AM
The spring rates arn't that much different and I would have to leave it to someone who road races it to see if the weight shift causes any noticeable negatives. The rear end doesn't have any outward sway in very hard (70+) mph cornering and I like that. If you're going to swap out the back and front springs, it's easy enough to try it with the backs only before you change out both.
I road race, but am a not suspension guru. My knowledge would direct me towards the springs causing an adverse affect on the suspension. Basically, you are throwing off the corner weights.
Old 5/16/05, 10:18 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by max2000jp@May 16, 2005, 8:52 AM
I road race, but am a not suspension guru. My knowledge would direct me towards the springs causing an adverse affect on the suspension. Basically, you are throwing off the corner weights.
I road race too.........but not legally and only on occasion

Jason, there is no question that what you are saying is correct. It could be argued that putting something in the glove box throws off the geo of the suspension. But to what degree and is it still within the parameters it was designed to handle. (and I am not trying to make lite of what you said).
I am trying to get a small change in ride height without a negative affect on handling and I think I am there. But, it's only one's opinion that the car handles better. I have not driven one with both the front and rear sport springs for comparison. I am one of those that don't want to bring the front end of the car down any lower than necessary.

Paul
Old 5/27/05, 04:05 PM
V6 Member

Paul
I'm thinking the same as you I like the way the front looks now but I would like the rear to have the same gap. was thinking of getting the adj. rear coilovers so then I could adj as I want has anyone installed these and if so how was the ride and handling?
Old 5/31/05, 05:09 AM
V6 Member

I spoke with Steeda about this same situation. They told me the the rear spring rate is only 175# and the rear needs to be tight for better turn in.