GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Spanish Oak Processor Questions

Search this Thread

Old 9/13/06, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Spanish Oak Processor Questions

Our Mustangs come with a processor that most say has the ability to learn.......So why program a tune into your car??? Some say the K&N CAI runs just a little lean when bolted on the 05-07 Mustang. So just drive it around the block a few times and let the sensors in the car ( and there's a sensor for everyting) adjust the air/fuel ratio to compensate. Am I right in thinking this????.....Based on what I keep hearing about this Spanish Oak Processor, the car should recognize changes to the engine (through sensors) and compensate them with adjustments.........can anyone add to this????.......Does loading a tune just "force" changes into the computer that the processor would eventually make anyway by driving a few miles and letting the sensors pick up and then relay the message back to the computer???........Did Ford put this "smart" processor in the car on purpose beacuse Mustangs are often modified and a computer that recognizes these changes would be a "selling point" to the buyer......Is there more to this Spanish Oak Processor then we know??????.....I think we still have a lot learn about this car and how it behaves to the modifications that we do to it..........
Old 9/13/06, 05:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by black sunshine
Our Mustangs come with a processor that most say has the ability to learn.......So why program a tune into your car??? Some say the K&N CAI runs just a little lean when bolted on the 05-07 Mustang. So just drive it around the block a few times and let the sensors in the car ( and there's a sensor for everyting) adjust the air/fuel ratio to compensate. Am I right in thinking this????.....Based on what I keep hearing about this Spanish Oak Processor, the car should recognize changes to the engine (through sensors) and compensate them with adjustments.........can anyone add to this????.......Does loading a tune just "force" changes into the computer that the processor would eventually make anyway by driving a few miles and letting the sensors pick up and then relay the message back to the computer???........Did Ford put this "smart" processor in the car on purpose beacuse Mustangs are often modified and a computer that recognizes these changes would be a "selling point" to the buyer......Is there more to this Spanish Oak Processor then we know??????.....I think we still have a lot learn about this car and how it behaves to the modifications that we do to it..........
Short answer: The processor in the '05 up will adapt and learn, but only up to a point. If you take parameters like airflow outside a limited range, such as by installing a very high flow CAI the computer just figures something is wrong and sets a trouble code and flips the check engine light on.

Basically the "learning" is designed to adapt to driving style and small variences between factory components. It isn't designed to cope with large modifications (that's what a competent tune is for) and will never "learn" significant mods on it's own (and meantime you could be driving around damaging the engine with an over lean condition or other problem).
Old 9/13/06, 06:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is also harder to please and more save the planet friendly.....more checks on all sensors (and there be a plenty of em).
Old 9/14/06, 07:52 AM
V6 Member

To bad it's not as flexable as the prossessor they use in the Flex fuel cars.
Old 9/14/06, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

/speaks to computer in car

"computer, increase torque 30% and remove the rev limiter for the next 15 seconds please"

"request accepted, adjustments made"

/end silly comment
Old 9/14/06, 11:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Old 9/14/06, 11:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 06GTwBOOST

"computer, increase torque 30% and remove the rev limiter for the next 15 seconds please"

/end silly comment
oh my god thats too funny
Old 9/14/06, 04:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Can you say Knight Rider. Hey K.I.T.T. turbo boost now.
Old 9/14/06, 04:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GTwBOOST

/end silly comment

/ I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that..... /