GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

SOS Gauge Pod Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/07, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOS Gauge Pod Install Help

Ok, I know the installation of the pod itself is cake. My question comes with the gauges. I have an electric water temp and oil pressure gauges. I want to tap into the factory units. Is this very hard to do? Do I have to remove the dash cluster to do it? Where can I tap into the gauges the easiest?
Old 1/31/07, 06:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

you cant "Tap" the factory units. you have to remove the stock sending units and repalce them with the gauges supplied sending units. if you didnt get sending units with your new gauges, you need to get them. you would then ground the stock units to the frame of the car so they will not trow any codes and appear to the ECU to be normal.
Old 1/31/07, 07:24 PM
GT Member

For water temp, you can tap the engine block below last freeze plug on drivers side of the engine. It is a pre-threaded hole. You need autometer part number 2268 to adapt the sender to the hole.

Oil Pressure, you can Tee off of the existing oil pressure port next to the oil filter. You should consider using autometer part number 3234. You can run your tee off this hose, as there isn't alot of room where the factory oil sender is. There should be multiple threads regarding this install. Search out "oil pressure write up" or something. Good Luck
Old 1/31/07, 07:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by sook
For water temp, you can tap the engine block below last freeze plug on drivers side of the engine. It is a pre-threaded hole. You need autometer part number 2268 to adapt the sender to the hole.

Oil Pressure, you can Tee off of the existing oil pressure port next to the oil filter. You should consider using autometer part number 3234. You can run your tee off this hose, as there isn't alot of room where the factory oil sender is. There should be multiple threads regarding this install. Search out "oil pressure write up" or something. Good Luck
you cant tap the factory sensors for aftermarket gauges. you need to repalce the factory sending units.

oil pressure you need to repalce the factory sending unit. Autometer will tell you the same thing.

Water temp i wouldnt repalce the factory sending unit but i would tap into the coolant before it gets to the heat exchanger for the hottest, accurate temp reading
Old 1/31/07, 07:53 PM
GT Member

I'm not saying to tap the factory pressure sender wire. I hooked an autometer hose into the engine oil pressure port then ran a Tee off of the other end so I could keep both my factory oil pressure sender and the aftermarket one. I'd post a picture, but I don't have a digital camera. I spent all my money on my car.

As for the water temp, it is probably true that you won't be getting super accurate readings unless you tap before the heat exchanger, but I figured the original poster was looking for the easiest way possible.
Old 1/31/07, 07:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm not saying to tap the factory pressure sender wire. I hooked an autometer hose into the engine oil pressure port then ran a Tee off of the other end so I could keep both my factory oil pressure sender and the aftermarket one. I'd post a picture, but I don't have a digital camera. I spent all my money on my car.

As for the water temp, it is probably true that you won't be getting super accurate readings unless you tap before the heat exchanger, but I figured the original poster was looking for the easiest way possible.
same here. that you can do for sure i guess i misunderstood what you were saying
Old 1/31/07, 07:58 PM
GT Member

Its cool. I think its because the original poster was asking specifically how to tap the factory wires. Hopefully he doesn't try.
Old 1/31/07, 08:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

hopefully not lol
Old 1/31/07, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by 94tbird
hopefully not lol

Ok, so let me get this straight. If I use these aftermarket gauges I will not be able to use my factory gauges right?
Old 1/31/07, 09:34 PM
GT Member

It depends on how you do the install. You can easily replace the factory oil pressure sender with the aftermarket one because they should both be the same size. Then, you just ground the single grey wire from the factory sender to the chassis (or else you will get a low oil pressure light) Or you can do what we said earlier. Buy autometer part 3234, run a tee that will give you a port for both your factory oil sender and your aftermarket oil sender.

You can keep both factory and aftermarket water temp senders if you either tap the engine block at the freeze plug or if you tee into a water hose somewhere before the radiator. Hope this helps
Old 2/1/07, 08:09 AM

It depends on how you do the install. You can easily replace the factory oil pressure sender with the aftermarket one because they should both be the same size. Then, you just ground the single grey wire from the factory sender to the chassis (or else you will get a low oil pressure light) Or you can do what we said earlier. Buy autometer part 3234, run a tee that will give you a port for both your factory oil sender and your aftermarket oil sender.

You can keep both factory and aftermarket water temp senders if you either tap the engine block at the freeze plug or if you tee into a water hose somewhere before the radiator. Hope this helps
Thanks. That clears it up. Can the Autometer part 3234 be bought at any place like Auto Zone or OReily's or do I have to order it from Autometer?

After looking at the Autometer website the 3234 is a hose for mechanical gauges. Since my gauge is electric, how does that work? Does the hose go to the sender and then the electric part of the sender starts? Sorry for all the confusion. I have never installed gauges like this before.
Old 2/1/07, 09:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

i actually got mine on amazon.com of all places. was half the price of the stores when i got it
Old 2/1/07, 10:26 AM
GT Member

The only reason you need the 3234 hose is so you can keep your factory AND your aftermarket gauge. There isn't room by the oil filter to fit both senders (at least I couldn't make both fit). So you need to run the hose away from that area to someplace with enough space to fit both electric senders. Its the sensors that make a gauge electric or mechanical, not the hose you use.

Seriously, do a search for "oil pressure write up". I wrote step by step what I did. I don't know how to paste the link here. There aren't any pictures since I have no camera, but it isn't hard of an install once you have all the necessary parts together.
Old 2/1/07, 10:31 AM
GT Member

Not a good writeup (no pics), but I've written something.

The factory oil pressure sender is located just above the oil filter. It is a 1/4inch NPT port. If you want a clean install, do it during an oil change so you don't get oil all over the place when you unscrew the factory sender. (I didn't) The easiest way to install will be simply unscrewing the factory sender and directly replacing it with the aftermarket 1/4 NPT sender. With the factory sender unplugged, your dash will give you an oil warning light. To get around that, you will have to cut the single grey sender wire and ground it to the chassis.

I'm not a big fan of cutting wires like that so I bought a 1/4 NPT brass tee from home depot so that I can retain both aftermarket and factory sensors. I also bought two 1/4 to 1/8 brass reducers and Autometer part number 3234. Autometer 3234 is a fuel pressure extension hose or something like that. This should give you all the necessary adapters and fittings to finish the job. But if you want to be safe, buy a couple of extra reducers. For a few bucks, it may save you a trip back to the hardware store in case autometer or your gauge kit didn't come with some necessary parts. Piecing it together is pretty straightforward. Just keep in mind that when you are finished, both ends of the autometer hose needs to be 1/4 NPT male. One end of the hose goes into the factory oil pressure port and the other end goes into the bottom of the 1/4 inch Tee. As for the sensors, one half of the tee should be kept 1/4 female to plug the factory sensor and the other half of the tee should be 1/8 NPT female (using the reducer) to accomodate the aftermarket sensor. Mount the Tee somewhere out of the way. some have ziptied it to their CAI heatshield. I drilled a hole through that flat plastic piece at the very front of the engine compartment. If you can figure out a better place, please let me know.

This may be unnecessary, but I covered the stainless steel braids of the autometer hose with heat shrink tubing. vibrating braided line can shred plastic and even aluminum. Also, I strongly recommend autometer 3234 just because fitting a tee with two huge pressure sensors into the tiny space above the oil filter is hard. It may be possible, but I have neither the patience or intelligence to do it. I know this post sux without pictures, but I don't have a digital camera. sorry. I just wanted to help, because this forum made each of my installs clean and easy. Maybe someone with pictures can do better. Good luck.

Parts: Autometer part number 3234, 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch NPT reducers, 1/4 inch NPT Tee, teflon tape, solder, heat shrink tubing, Gauge of your choice.

This is the only way I can direct you to the post I was talking about. There are better write ups with pics, but they are spread out over different forums. I really need a camera and to learn how to use the forums better.
Old 2/1/07, 10:52 AM

This is the only way I can direct you to the post I was talking about. There are better write ups with pics, but they are spread out over different forums. I really need a camera and to learn how to use the forums better.

Thanks. Your write up cleared up some issues.
Old 2/10/07, 09:51 PM

On this pre-threaded hole, is it the hole with the hex bolt in it??? I am looking at the right thing?