GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

somewhat crazy idea/question

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/10, 11:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
somewhat crazy idea/question

I have not looked into this idea one bit however I will hazard a question anyway.

Has anyone fooled with the throttle spring in attempt to make it stiffer (i.e. more resistance)? For those of you who have driven BMWs this is the type of feel I'm looking for. Many may think I'm nuts but I believe a stiffer throttle would provide the driver with more input feel control. Think break feel. This issue was addressed in some of the earliest magazine reviews of the S197's back in '05. It would be great to have it a bit stiffer imo. Just a thought.
Old 12/24/10, 02:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Would be a great idea except our accelerators are not directly connected to the throttle. Drive by wire sucks.
Old 12/24/10, 02:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
True, period.
Old 12/24/10, 03:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
so then put a stiffer spring on the gas pedal...
Old 12/25/10, 05:15 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
all my old carbureted cars I ran double springs...broke one once, never wanted to go there again- but also liked the pedal feel of the stiffer springs.
with the servo throttle, not really sure if the pedal pivot could handle extra spring pressure or not- as the pedal is just a spring loaded lever now, it wasnt really designed to do much- adding a spring would feel better, but watch not to overload the pivot- guessing its probably not too substantial...
Old 12/25/10, 08:16 AM
Bullitt Member

I guess I'll have to get up under there and see how confident I feel about how the pedal is connected. I would hope Ford wouldn't make the gas pedal in a muscle car too flimsy. I don't really see how the throttle by wire system would be a problem. I was just thinking to increase pedal resistance like 429 did.
Old 12/25/10, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
so then put a stiffer spring on the gas pedal...
lol I hope you're kidding but I never know these days.
Old 12/25/10, 10:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It makes a lot of sense to have a stiffer feel to the pedal and adding a spring is the only way to do it. You just have to determine if it is easy enough to do and then experiment with sizes and length to get a feel you like. If you do it I would love to see how and what you ended up with as I might do it as well. If you use a light spring but stretch it say half way to put it on then the rate will be fairly even. If you take a heavy spring and it has very little pre-load then the rate will start easy and get hard as you go. Also the angle the spring is at matters. If the pull is straight you'll get a regular increase in pressure but if the spring is pulled on an angle and the angle changes as you pull you could end up with a rising or falling rate spring. That's why it may sound easy but finding a good solution might not.
Old 12/26/10, 10:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

That is just going to make the pedal stiffer. It's not going to do anything for throttle response, it will still be sloppy. I say that all our cars are drive by wire, but mine isn't.
Old 12/26/10, 12:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt995
lol I hope you're kidding but I never know these days.
Eh, just throwing ideas out. I think what he wants is the feel of a stiffer gas pedal, not better throttle response. If he wants better throttle response, then his best bet is a PCM tune. And to make the pedal stiffer, since it is drive by wire you'll need to look at the pedal itself. That's what I was getting at. Honestly I don't know how the pedal is rigged up so I can't say if a heavier spring is the way to go or not. I'll be interested to see how this turns out
Old 12/26/10, 01:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

If installed properly, he won't experience any "stuck gas pedal" issues......

=]
Old 12/27/10, 02:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
It makes a lot of sense to have a stiffer feel to the pedal and adding a spring is the only way to do it. You just have to determine if it is easy enough to do and then experiment with sizes and length to get a feel you like. If you do it I would love to see how and what you ended up with as I might do it as well. If you use a light spring but stretch it say half way to put it on then the rate will be fairly even. If you take a heavy spring and it has very little pre-load then the rate will start easy and get hard as you go. Also the angle the spring is at matters. If the pull is straight you'll get a regular increase in pressure but if the spring is pulled on an angle and the angle changes as you pull you could end up with a rising or falling rate spring. That's why it may sound easy but finding a good solution might not.
I'm out of town now but well definitely take a look when u get back. I will probably start by measure pedal stiffness from a target car. I am fairly confident that I remember enough physics to do the spring trig calculations.

My mods are in my sig. I'm not looking for throttle response. That was taken care of by the tune. Just a little bit more accurate feel from the pedal.

Between this mod, new break pads and my other mods I should be just about done taking "sloppiness" out of the car.