GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Somethings odd..whats the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/06, 04:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok i just recently got my xcal 2 with my airaid tune, and i been experiencing some weird shifting. Its only happened to me about three times. For example today i gas it at a stop and as it shifts into gear one or two(cant recall) i chirp the wheels, but rarley i get this odd chirp were the car just feels like it shuts off, and i pull back for a sec, and the exhaust kinda fart its kinda hard to explain...but if anyone knows what im talking about...help :scratch:
Old 1/17/06, 05:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You say you have recently received this tune. How long? I have an auto using the XCAL2 with Alternate Automotive and have not experienced anything like what you describe. Might try to return to stock tune and than reload your custom tune. It does take the auto a little bit of time to learn its new tune. If that doesn't help I would call you tuner.
Scott
Old 1/17/06, 05:08 PM
Bullitt Member

hmmmm its been aboutttt two weeks give or take
Old 1/17/06, 05:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Baginoman2@January 17, 2006, 6:11 PM
hmmmm its been aboutttt two weeks give or take

Hey Joe, That is plenty long enough for the auto trans to learn it's new program. If you would have said 2 hours I would not be concerned. I would return to stock program, drive it for a day or two to see if it returns to normal. If so, I would reload you custom tune and drive it for several days. If the problem returns-get on the phone!!
I am not familiar with your tune so I can't give you any other input except I am sure it is not right!!
Scott
Old 1/17/06, 06:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Baginoman2@January 17, 2006, 5:51 PM
Ok i just recently got my xcal 2 with my airaid tune, and i been experiencing some weird shifting. Its only happened to me about three times. For example today i gas it at a stop and as it shifts into gear one or two(cant recall) i chirp the wheels, but rarley i get this odd chirp were the car just feels like it shuts off, and i pull back for a sec, and the exhaust kinda fart its kinda hard to explain...but if anyone knows what im talking about...help :scratch:
I would return tune to stock tune disconnect the battery for ten os so min. then reload the mod tune. I hope its not shuting off because it hit the redline. Mine did this to me one time on the 1-2 shift and it has rhe Lidio tune.
Old 1/17/06, 06:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Should have reported that it shut off because it went lean and did not hit the redline .Sorry.
Old 1/17/06, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, based on this statement "i get this odd chirp were the car just feels like it shuts off"... I'll ask the obvious. Was traction control on or off? If I chirp the tires with TCS on, then the car basically shuts down.
Old 1/17/06, 11:03 PM
Bullitt Member

don to answer ur question...yes the TCS was on. Im thinking that was the prob. :bang:
Old 1/18/06, 02:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by don_w@January 17, 2006, 8:41 PM
OK, based on this statement "i get this odd chirp were the car just feels like it shuts off"... I'll ask the obvious. Was traction control on or off? If I chirp the tires with TCS on, then the car basically shuts down.

Hey Don,
That is one of the differences between Lidio's tune and Doug's or some of the other tuners for the auto. Lidio's tune basically disables the traction control/ torque management system at WOT. My car will chirp 2nd gear the with or without the TC the same. Lidio told me this a couple of weeks ago when I called him to find out how to turn the TC off with the XCAL2. He said it is off at WOT. I don't get this shut down effect you guys are talking about with my TC on.
Scott
Old 1/18/06, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by 70MACH1OWNER@January 18, 2006, 1:40 PM
Hey Don,
That is one of the differences between Lidio's tune and Doug's or some of the other tuners for the auto. Lidio's tune basically disables the traction control/ torque management system at WOT. My car will chirp 2nd gear the with or without the TC the same. Lidio told me this a couple of weeks ago when I called him to find out how to turn the TC off with the XCAL2. He said it is off at WOT. I don't get this shut down effect you guys are talking about with my TC on.
Scott
That's interesting. I haven't heard that one before.
Old 1/18/06, 03:15 PM
FR500 Member

I wonder if Diablo does the same, because I can roast em pretty darn good and even get a little sideways with TCS ON. If I slide through a turn in wet weather though, it does work. I seem to have a VERY forgiving TCS
Old 1/18/06, 03:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by don_w@January 18, 2006, 4:01 PM
That's interesting. I haven't heard that one before.

Yeap, thats what he said. Same time he was telling me the SCT had an issue with the XCAL2 adjustable parameters not working for turning off the TC like advertized. Lidio said don't worry I have already turned it off at WOT. Beats me. But i don't get that shut down effect.
Scott
Old 1/18/06, 03:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@January 18, 2006, 4:18 PM
I wonder if Diablo does the same, because I can roast em pretty darn good and even get a little sideways with TCS ON. If I slide through a turn in wet weather though, it does work. I seem to have a VERY forgiving TCS

Maybe. Mine seems to work normally at part throttle situations. We had about 1 inch of rain here yesterday and I was getting frisky with the throttle ( burping it ) and I could feel it kick in than. It is over my head how it all works. P. S. Have you got your headers back yet??
Scott
Old 1/18/06, 06:35 PM
FR500 Member

I've still been sick, so I wasn't around work to get the call. Fever broke today though, so off to work tommorow where I'll have to wade through a hundred messages to find out.

It'll be awhile before they get installed though :bang:

I thought I had it all set-up, but my registration expired...another $420.00 down the drain...that was going to pay for my x/h/pro-chamber/whatever the heck I end up getting for it.
Old 1/18/06, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

had a question about my traction prob. OK so lets say i wanted to go to the tracks and participate in the 1/4. How would i do it..i would just loose time cause of the torque being cut, and slowing down. If i took the TCS off i would be spining from a stop :bang:
Old 1/18/06, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by Baginoman2@January 18, 2006, 5:49 PM
had a question about my traction prob. OK so lets say i wanted to go to the tracks and participate in the 1/4. How would i do it..i would just loose time cause of the torque being cut, and slowing down. If i took the TCS off i would be spining from a stop :bang:
Definitely leave TCS off at the track. With stock gears and an auto trans, you should be OK for traction. Especially if the track is prepped halfway decent. But, as your list of mods grow, you may want to invest in a set of drag tires.
Old 1/18/06, 07:06 PM
Bullitt Member

hmmm true..those tires good for all weather conditions..or just for track use?
Old 1/18/06, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Baginoman2@January 18, 2006, 6:09 PM
hmmm true..those tires good for all weather conditions..or just for track use?
I wouldn't recommend drag tires (even drag radials) for everyday driving (although some people do it). First, water is the enemy!! Second, there isn't a lot of tread on them... no reason to wear them out when you're not at the track.
Old 1/18/06, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

true true.....hey don u thnk it would be easy to loose control if i had the TSC off, and i was chirping in 1st and 2nd?
Old 1/18/06, 07:26 PM

If you feel the car start to fish tail, just lift off the gas and keep the front wheels pointed down track. It will come back to you.

Quick Reply: Somethings odd..whats the problem?