GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

So, I must have a bad fuel injector or two...

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/07, 06:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I must have a bad fuel injector or two...

I can't seem to run the Bama 93, or even 91 Race and TQ tunes without severly retarding the timing. I get pinging at the HP peak (5500) at WOT in 4th (heavy load). They're fine up to 4k or so. The 91 Race tune I had to retard above 4k 4º, and increase richness 4%, but I could still feel the engine dropping the timing back further (I could feel a little loss in power under WOT).

For clarification purposes, I only (have ever only) bought Shell V-Premium 93 octane fuel.

Even the 87Perf, I got some slight pinging at 5500, so I retarded timing 1º above 4000, and advanced timing 2º below 4000 to get some of the torque back, then increased WOT A/F richnes 2%. That combo seems to work: feels peppy and torquey below 4000, but no pining at 5500.

I read the maintenance schedule manual for the car, and not once does it mention flushing the injectors. I'm wondering if I should have the local shop do that for me and see if there's a difference, although I should probably run some fuel injector cleaner through first.

I'd love to run the 91TQ tune again...the TQ tune's my favorite.

Any suggestions?
Old 12/22/07, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Most times pinging is not caused by the gas unless you are using too low octane for the spark advance. Shell V-Power has extra detergents in it - I doubt that you have dirty injectors. I also have the 87-91-93 tunes on my XCal from Brenspeed and I find that heat is the main cause for pinging for me. I drove about 30 miles to the local dragstrip, then within 5 minutes I was in the staging lanes and running down the track. I ran a 14.4 and pinged so bad I had to let off. I only used 93 octane Shell while I was running my 93 tune. Then, I let the car cool down for 30 minutes and reflashed to the 91 tune (which I assume has less spark advance at WOT). I ran a 13.7 and had no pinging after that. I think running a cooler thermostat (180 vs 192) will help as well as using one heat range colder spark plugs.
Old 12/22/07, 07:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Try different gas; try a different tune. Contact your tuner or try a different tuner's tune and see what their thoughts are. Pull a spark plug and inspect it. Replace your fuel filter.

Try any of these, or do all one at a time......... I would doubt you have a bad or even more doubtable a couple of bad injectors.
Old 12/22/07, 07:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks, I just emailed Brent..and I included that you referred me to them. Maybe a different tune will do it...I also like the idea of a lower temp thermostat, and of the cooler plugs. I need guidance on both of these parts: who are the better suppliers? what spec do I ask for?

Thanks again!
Old 12/22/07, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Stop using the "mail order" stuff get your car on the dyno and do it right.
Old 12/22/07, 07:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by turbo05gt
That's a good idea, of course. I question, however, how a tuner can tell if there's detonation occuring during a run, what with all the noise from the FRPP Stingers (and they usually have the windows down)?

I guess that would be optimal, a dyno tune...I probably need to wait until I get the headers installed so as not to have to do it again...so who in Houston is a reputable dyno-tuner?
Old 12/22/07, 08:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MrClean
Thanks, I just emailed Brent..and I included that you referred me to them. Maybe a different tune will do it...I also like the idea of a lower temp thermostat, and of the cooler plugs. I need guidance on both of these parts: who are the better suppliers? what spec do I ask for?

Thanks again!
You shouldn't need a colder 'stat or colder plugs for the mods that you have; that would just be throwing money at it. My statement regarding pulling a plug is for inspection only; if you did find a problem, just replace the plug with the same heat range (at the proper gap too). I would say the problem is either in your tune or your gas, or a combo of both. Do yourself a favor and don't buy any parts yet; how does the car run with the stock (factory) tune reinstalled?

That's a good idea, of course. I question, however, how a tuner can tell if there's detonation occuring during a run, what with all the noise from the FRPP Stingers (and they usually have the windows down)?

I guess that would be optimal, a dyno tune...I probably need to wait until I get the headers installed so as not to have to do it again...so who in Houston is a reputable dyno-tuner?
A tuner would see if there is detonation by data-logging during the dyno run. Ideally you should wait to have a dyno tune until the headers are installed, but again if the car is not running well you should get the tune done asap to fix your initial problem or else the headers just may make it worse. Regarding tuners in Houston..........
Old 12/22/07, 09:27 PM

If you are interested, Doug will be in OKC on Jan.23 and willbe doing dyno tuning. I am sure between his tune and if something minor needs repairing then this could be a perfect chance to get it fixed. I work for a dealership here so if anything is acutally wrong we can get it fixed easily.

Blake
Old 12/22/07, 09:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by boyzNtoyz
If you are interested, Doug will be in OKC on Jan.23 and willbe doing dyno tuning. I am sure between his tune and if something minor needs repairing then this could be a perfect chance to get it fixed. I work for a dealership here so if anything is acutally wrong we can get it fixed easily.

Blake
Blake,

Thanks for your comments and input...that sounds like a great opportunity., if I don't get it done by a local tuner first, and if I'm in the country (I travel for work outside the US a lot).

My car's still under the the 60k60mo powertrain warranty (under the 36/36 bumper to bumper, in fact) and I also have the Premium-Care 6yr/100k extended warranty from Ford....my local dealership is "understanding"...

Brgds,

Marc
Old 12/23/07, 04:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by turbo05gt
that's not always the case,i got brens tunes and brought my car to get dyno'd and even the tech told me the tune was right on and there was no need to tune it unless i had money to burn.
Old 12/23/07, 07:53 AM
Bullitt Member

I can't seem to run the Bama 93, or even 91 Race and TQ tunes without severly retarding the timing. I get pinging at the HP peak (5500) at WOT in 4th (heavy load). They're fine up to 4k or so. The 91 Race tune I had to retard above 4k 4º, and increase richness 4%, but I could still feel the engine dropping the timing back further (I could feel a little loss in power under WOT).

For clarification purposes, I only (have ever only) bought Shell V-Premium 93 octane fuel.

Even the 87Perf, I got some slight pinging at 5500, so I retarded timing 1º above 4000, and advanced timing 2º below 4000 to get some of the torque back, then increased WOT A/F richnes 2%. That combo seems to work: feels peppy and torquey below 4000, but no pining at 5500.

I read the maintenance schedule manual for the car, and not once does it mention flushing the injectors. I'm wondering if I should have the local shop do that for me and see if there's a difference, although I should probably run some fuel injector cleaner through first.

I'd love to run the 91TQ tune again...the TQ tune's my favorite.

Any suggestions?
The easiest solution is to give Doug a call and ask him which points to datalog, then email the datalog to Doug followed up with a call. He will tell you exactly whats going on and how it can be corrected.

If its a tuning issue, he will make adjustments as required and email the new tune to you, takes all of 5 minutes.

This is a value added service that he provides to his customers.

Good Luck
Old 12/23/07, 02:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by touring
that's not always the case,i got brens tunes and brought my car to get dyno'd and even the tech told me the tune was right on and there was no need to tune it unless i had money to burn.

Its really a coin flip some times it works sometimes is does not. Id bet more often than not the canned tunes are more than a bit off.
Old 12/24/07, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GT John
The easiest solution is to give Doug a call and ask him which points to datalog, then email the datalog to Doug followed up with a call. He will tell you exactly whats going on and how it can be corrected.

If its a tuning issue, he will make adjustments as required and email the new tune to you, takes all of 5 minutes.

This is a value added service that he provides to his customers.

Good Luck
Ok, emailed him, a response will probably take a while, given the holidays. What's the step-by-step procedure to datalog with the xCal2? I looked on the SCT website, but no dice with instructions. I see the "Capture Data" option on the initial menu, but I need instructions as to how to go about it....plug in start the car, go for a drive at WOT? Then how do I download from the xCal to the home computer for emailing to Doug?

Thanks!
Old 12/25/07, 12:50 PM
ski
Bullitt Member

IMHO, first make sure all of the CAI connections are tight.
If they're ok, then run the Shell gas out of the tank, and try a different brand as suggested by tom281.
If changing gas brands does not solve it, and if there was no pinging problem when previously using those 91 and 93 octane tunes with the same ambient temperatures, then dump a can of Seafoam into the gas tank, and see if the pinging goes away after 200 miles or so. This cured a WOT pinging problem on my S197 when it had only 17K miles on it.
Old 12/26/07, 07:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Marc,
There is a good tuner right around the corner from you in Webster that I use. He has an 05 himself and his own shop.
I will PM you the info. He does great work! Got my car into the 12's with what's in my sig.
Old 12/26/07, 03:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm hoping to get my car dyno tuned at Sutton in Illinois. Although that's far off in the future, a dyno tune is always best.

I'm sure Brent's tunes are great, but I still think that a dyno tune will always be better.
Old 12/27/07, 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ski
IMHO, first make sure all of the CAI connections are tight.
If they're ok, then run the Shell gas out of the tank, and try a different brand as suggested by tom281.
If changing gas brands does not solve it, and if there was no pinging problem when previously using those 91 and 93 octane tunes with the same ambient temperatures, then dump a can of Seafoam into the gas tank, and see if the pinging goes away after 200 miles or so. This cured a WOT pinging problem on my S197 when it had only 17K miles on it.
Seafoam, huh? Ok, sounds like a plan, after I switch to Chevron. Thanks!

Originally Posted by SC67Stang
Hey Marc,
There is a good tuner right around the corner from you in Webster that I use. He has an 05 himself and his own shop.
I will PM you the info. He does great work! Got my car into the 12's with what's in my sig.
Got your PM and replied...

Originally Posted by Pwny
I'm hoping to get my car dyno tuned at Sutton in Illinois. Although that's far off in the future, a dyno tune is always best.

I'm sure Brent's tunes are great, but I still think that a dyno tune will always be better.
Thanks, if the combo of switching gs and Seafoam, and Brenspeed's tunes don't work, I'll do the dynotune...if I can only get hold of Patrick at PSI!!