GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

So I was just challenged by a Charger R/T

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/06, 03:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I was just challenged by a Charger R/T

Im not sure if this is the right forum for this but wasnt sure where else to place it, apologies beforehand:

So its steaming hot down here in South Florida as it is in most of the country, and Im cursing myself for not getting my windows tinted yet, but beaming because this stang has a serious A/C, so I'm borderline satisfied/frustrated. Traffic is bad but not too much, as I come to a stop one light before an overpass with 4 cars ahead of me. Leaning against my armrest, waiting for the traffic ahead of me to move, I see a Charger coming up the left lane and completely disregard it (the new Charger looks ugly to me, the Hemi is sweet though). A few seconds later, I hear a rev resonating, and i turn to look, and this guy is stopped next to me, leaning forward, revving the hell out of his engine at me. His girlfriend I assume, is smiling, and I'm just assuming he was giving me a friendly rev, obviously since there's no way we could punch it at a stop light with traffic in front of us. So I rev it back a couple times, and he keeps staring, but eases forward. I shake my head and go back to leaning on my arm rest. Light turns green.

Going at about 40mph or so, he slows down and pulls next to me with traffic around us AGAIN and starts revving. I'm looking at him now like he's an idiot, I rev back and kinda shake my hand as if im not interested. Whatever, another light, except the right lane frees up and I dip on over to jump ahead of traffic when the light turns green. They got in the far left turning lane. Light turns green, so I give it a little gas to ease ahead of traffic so I could merge over left a little further down the road because my place is several blocks down on the left... and this airhead revs OUT of the left turning lane, ahead of traffic almost hitting the median, and tries to pull up next to me, and he does.

I dropped back down to about 40 again, and he pulls next to me leaning forward staring again. Normally I'd shrug it off, but with the heat I was frustrated, and let it rip. Traffic was dead clear for about 3 blocks until the next light, and he punches it. I hop on the gas and surprisingly start pulling on him IMMEDIATELY! Mind you, Im using Doug's 93 Torque tune, so I'm expecting my power to die out once I cross 4500rpm. Nope. I keeeeep on pulling on him in second, and when I hit 3rd, the pulling kept on. I clutched, and came off the gas at around 70mph and eased onto the brakes at the next light. At the time I did that, he was starting to show up in my rear view. They caught the next left, and didnt even look in my direction... and I was stunned.

So, the new R/T isnt all that I assume? I mean, I know I am CAI/Axleback/Tuned, but I thought they were dead even with the Mustang, if not slightly faster? Plus I was using the Torque tune, if I was using the Performance tune im sure it would've been worst. I dont know much about the new Charger, but does this sound about right or did he just not know how to drive it yet?

Oh, and when I got home, I pat my GT on the butt for being so good to me today
Old 8/10/06, 04:00 PM
V6 Member

Sounds about rite. I raced an R/T also. From about a 40mph roll, and i kicked it's ars. I let him get ahead of me just to see what he had, then I put the pedal to the metal and blew by him at about 130mph like he was standing still. I was dissapointed also. I thought those chargers were faster than that. I was running a CAI with Dougs 91 octane performance tune by the way.
Old 8/10/06, 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Taught that guy a lesson! Good job. Why isn't that what you expected though? Those cars make a little more power but they're heavy, have highway gears, and are automatic only. Plus the people who drive them apparently aren't too smart
Old 8/10/06, 09:21 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People dp crazy s**t down here in serious traffic don't they? Gotta love S. FLorida....

Way to teach him a lesson.....
Old 8/10/06, 09:52 PM
Bullitt Member

r/t..nothin', daytona, nothin'

i raced the daytona version, had 3 1/2 car lengths through 3rd gear...as they say at Quiznos, Mmmm, Mmmm toasty...........
Old 8/10/06, 09:56 PM
Bullitt Member

almost forgot

daytona specs...

5.7 liter HEMI, 350 HP, 390 Torque...Daddy smoky with just tune, CAI and Catback in a vert...nothing better then the top down and an administered spanking...something tells me a 40K SRT8 better bring it.........
Old 8/10/06, 10:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011
People dp crazy s**t down here in serious traffic don't they? Gotta love S. FLorida....

Way to teach him a lesson.....
Haha yeah its crazy down here. This isnt the first most awkward challenge thats happened to me, but this one sure ranks up there.
Old 8/11/06, 02:57 AM
Cobra Member

I had one of them chevy truck car retro looking things with the Vette engine try to show me something one morning in a two lane turning lane. He was next to me in the inside turning lane. He punched it as soon as the light turned green. I'm a sissy and didn't want to chance getting my car taken from me so I just went about my business and watched as he almost swerved into the center island trying to show me whats up...

Guess those things don't handle quite as good as the Vette.

I've not seen many of the upper trim level chargers round here, but think only the srt8 version is worthy and will in most cases smoke us.
Old 8/11/06, 07:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by nynvolt
I've not seen many of the upper trim level chargers round here, but think only the srt8 version is worthy and will in most cases smoke us.
Yeah I went ahead and looked up some info on both the R/T and the SRT8, and i had no idea the R/T was such a slug for the price/power it garners. 390ft-lbs of torque sounds good until you see the car weighs over 4100lbs?!
The SRT8 generates some beautiful power as well, but for $40 grand, it BETTER be able to beat a $25k GT (which it barely does according to some track times and road tests I found).
Old 8/11/06, 09:03 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was at the track, I consistenly smoked a dodge magnum with a hemi

The LX cars have tons of power, but they weigh a few hundred pounds more.

I would have told that ding-dong to take it to the track
Old 8/11/06, 09:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

They are like hearses - heavy and ugly.

There is a guy down the street w/22's and lots of extra chrome on his (stupid looking) who eyeballs me as he rolls by. One day I saw him at the gas station and he asked me if I thought my car was quick. I told him the only way he'd find out is if he would put up $500. He declined.
Old 8/11/06, 09:49 AM
V6 Member

I took on one of those SRT-8 Chargers. Not really even much of a race. We ran from 30-70 and I had about 2 cars on him, then we ran from a stop to about 70 and I had about 1 car on him but I was having traction problems and had my wife in the car. After we raced he pulled up next to me and said that my car was pretty quick but he just left his car in Drive and if he would have manual shifted it would have been a different outcome. YEAH RIGHT like he could shift an auto better than the computer, whatever.
Old 8/11/06, 11:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah an RT should be more than takable by a 5 speed, an auto will be a bit closer fight and with a CAI, no contest. That 500 extra pounds and crappy gearing doesn't help them much.
Old 8/11/06, 12:34 PM
FR500 Member

Not one of those cars have any real nuts. I've beat all three variants of the Charger without batting an eyelash. I think the only close race would be a bone stock auto Mustang GT and a bone stock SRT -8.

That's why I'm not all that excited about the forthcoming Challenger, it's built on the same platform. Heavy... Heavy... Heavy = highway cruising sled.
Old 8/11/06, 01:59 PM
Cobra Member

wow this thread is blowing my mind! I had not idea the chargers sucked this bad... I think they're ugly as hell so I've never looked into them at all. You mean to tell me that they don't offer a stick???? WTF? I just got a new leverl of discust from the chargers.
Old 8/11/06, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

shocked SRT 8

the srt8 version does look menacing, can't believe you had a full car length on him, but yes, the daytona version hung into early 2nd but then i flat out pulled consistently on him--need underdrive pulleys and my 4.10's next then i'll consider taking on the srt8---think that is rated at like 4-415HP??
Old 8/11/06, 04:48 PM
V6 Member

I've got 4:10s, JLT intake and a bama 93 torque tune. That's what help me put the lenghth on him
Old 8/11/06, 04:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

They are simply OVERRATED. Just 4 door family sedans with some decent HP #s, weighed down by car seats and bags of diapers.
Old 8/11/06, 05:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Reminisce
Oh, and when I got home, I pat my GT on the butt for being so good to me today
Nice story, nice kill. I killed an R/T as well a few months back, wasn't even close. I left him a good 2 car lengths back by the time I got to third gear, the road was wide open on a four lane highway, so we were all clear.

I'm sure the 425hp SRT would be another story, but the R/T isn't much of a factor.

I have Doug's 93 torque tune/CAI/axlebacks/Hurts.
Old 8/12/06, 12:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

I ran up against a Chrysler 300 SRT-8 at the track tonite. He took the first race, I took the second. Both times I was out front at 1/8th, but those cars really make up for it in the 2nd 1/8th. If my car was in stock form I'm sure I would have gone down 2 times. I have K&N + Bama 91 perf., Steeda LCA & UCA and drag radials. 4.10s going in on Monday

Quick Reply: So I was just challenged by a Charger R/T