GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

SLP VS. GTA Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/07, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLP VS. GTA Exhaust?

Hi:

I'm getting a new set of mufflers for my 05 GT. After a lot of reading my two choices are the SLP or the Ford Racing Axle M-5230-GTA. My problem is that I only hear them in audio clips so don't know how they compare, so I don't know if the SLP are too loud or the GTA not loud enough. My 05 is a daily driver and I do 30 to 35 min. of highway at 85-95MPH 5 days a week. Some people is talking about SLP been too loud and have a drone sound. I don't know if that will be annoying to me. I'm used to the 5.0L sound of my '89 Mustang with SVO shorty headers, OR H pipe and 3 chambers Flowmasters mufflers. At highway speed it was a bit too much, but I liked the deep sound of the V8 the rest of the time.

Now the questions. How do the SLP and the GTA compare in volume? It's the GTA loud enough so that nobody ask me again if my GT it is a V8? Can I get a SLP and take the highway without my head blowing in pieces? How the sound of my 5.0L compares to the other two?

Please, any advised will be appreciated.
Diego
Old 1/15/07, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Antrax
Hi:

I'm getting a new set of mufflers for my 05 GT. After a lot of reading my two choices are the SLP or the Ford Racing Axle M-5230-GTA. My problem is that I only hear them in audio clips so don't know how they compare, so I don't know if the SLP are too loud or the GTA not loud enough. My 05 is a daily driver and I do 30 to 35 min. of highway at 85-95MPH 5 days a week. Some people is talking about SLP been too loud and have a drone sound. I don't know if that will be annoying to me. I'm used to the 5.0L sound of my '89 Mustang with SVO shorty headers, OR H pipe and 3 chambers Flowmasters mufflers. At highway speed it was a bit too much, but I liked the deep sound of the V8 the rest of the time.

Now the questions. How do the SLP and the GTA compare in volume? It's the GTA loud enough so that nobody ask me again if my GT it is a V8? Can I get a SLP and take the highway without my head blowing in pieces? How the sound of my 5.0L compares to the other two?

Please, any advised will be appreciated.
Diego

Get the GTAs. The SLPs will be too much for highway speeds. I have the GTAs and love them. It makes the GT sound deep and throaty. No one will ask if it is a GT, they will know.
Old 1/15/07, 10:15 AM
V6 Member

I haven't heard the GTAs in person, so I haven't really gotten a side by side comparison. I've talked with a few people that really like them though.

My SLP LMs sound awesome, but you are correct about the droning. In my car its very bad anywhere between 1800-2300 rpm when you're just barely on the throttle. I'm usually in that range on the highway, but the accelerator is pressed enough that its not as noticable. I was suprised to find that I notice the drone the most on city streets.

As for sound, I know both are an improvement over the stock axle-back. You can tell that much from sound clips. The LMs will definitely put out a lot of noise. Beware of these if you're considering an off road midpipe.

My 5.0 has a similar setup to yours, and in my opinion the LMs are pretty close to it.

All in all, I'm happy with my purchase, but if you're really concerned about noise or droning, from what I hear you may be better off with the GTAs.
Old 1/15/07, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Slps would of been a good choice, but if highway drone is going to bother you, than forget them. Although the drone isnt that bad, and SLPs sound nice as heck!

Do what you want...just make sure your happy with it!
Old 1/15/07, 12:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

I really like my GTA's, now i'm just waiting for my X-pipe exchange. The 4" tips look good with the GT/CS A$$ end.
Old 1/15/07, 01:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Get the stingers. They are louder than the GTA's, but not as obnoxious as the slp's.
Old 1/15/07, 01:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran the SLP's for about 3 months! Got a lot of complements on the sound! ... but the cabin noise and drone I found irritating !! I am running the GTA's now! there just a little louder than stock but have a better sound note!........
Old 1/15/07, 03:00 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 69_gt500
Get the stingers. They are louder than the GTA's, but not as obnoxious as the slp's.
+1, the frpp/stingers will be louder than the gta's but nos as loud as the slp's. The will have a deeper and more aggressive tone than both the slp's and the gta's. I used to have the slp's and they do not have a deep throaty sound like the gta's or the stingers have. The problem with the gta's is they will be barely louder than the stock exhaust from the interior but a little more noticable on the exterior.
Old 1/15/07, 09:35 PM

Thanks to everybody. I think I will go with the SLP. I think I'm really missing my 5.0L sound.

Ninosport has them for $377. Where can I get them cheaper?

Diego
Old 1/15/07, 09:40 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks to everybody. I think I will go with the SLP. I think I'm really missing my 5.0L sound.

Ninosport has them for $276. Where can I get them cheaper?

Diego
sorry to hear that...j/k
Old 1/15/07, 09:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cobra4548
Get the GTAs. The SLPs will be too much for highway speeds. I have the GTAs and love them. It makes the GT sound deep and throaty. No one will ask if it is a GT, they will know.

I have the SLP loudmouths on my gt and they sound awesome.

I've been told they are loud and they were loud for a couple days and then either my hearing went or i got used to them.

there is a hint of drone around 2k but it's tolerable.

I can hold a conversation with my passenger, if i couldn't i would have taken them off instantly.

no information for you on the gta's.
Old 1/15/07, 10:06 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,792 Posts
Originally Posted by blkstang06
I ran the SLP's for about 3 months! Got a lot of complements on the sound! ... but the cabin noise and drone I found irritating !! I am running the GTA's now! there just a little louder than stock but have a better sound note!........
Where they the LoudMouth's or Power flows ?
Old 1/16/07, 09:04 AM
Cobra Member

I've driven a few 9 hour trips, almost exclusively highway with the SLP's and didn't notice them at all.

I only experiance drone at around 22-2300 rpm with load, hit the OD button and it's gone.
Old 1/17/07, 09:16 PM
V6 Member

Diego
Wise choice fellow mustanger. You will Not be dissapointed!
Old 1/27/07, 08:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Diego
go to LM Performance, they got them on sale for 299.00
Old 1/28/07, 12:11 AM
Cobra Member

YES! Def go with the SLPs. Even though I'm this is coming from a 20 year old.. I frequently make 3-4 hour trips from Austin to Dallas and the SLPs don't bother me a bit... I dont even notice drone. Besides, the joy you get from hearing the SLPs driving around town is well worth it... or even getting on it on the highway... I'm actually about to switch from the SLPs to an OR H and Stinger combo which is supposed to be louder.... We'll SEE!

Also I would check around several classified sights.... people seem to always be selling the SLPs cause they re "too loud" I'd sell you mine if I had the money to pop for the H and stingers
Old 1/28/07, 11:19 AM
GT Member

I first put LMs on my car and thought they sounded pretty good. Loud and scream at WOT, some drone from 1600-1800. I sold them since I was going with an O/R H (they are HELLA LOUD with this setup!!! TOO LOUD). I sold them and got FRRP stingers. Little louder at idle, VERY DEEP rumble at idle, sound great WOT. They drone more than the SLPs (for me 1700-2000) but, much better rumble and sound. I added the O/R H with these and have gotten many compliments on the exhaust(more drone in the cabin but, worth it!) I personally like the MACs as well, very deep rumble. My choice would be for the price FRRP stingers or MAC. Good luck.
Old 1/28/07, 04:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nynvolt
I've driven a few 9 hour trips, almost exclusively highway with the SLP's and didn't notice them at all.

I only experiance drone at around 22-2300 rpm with load, hit the OD button and it's gone.
That's because you're deaf... LOL J/K. I second the FRPP/Stingers
Old 1/29/07, 04:42 PM

GTAs all the way!!!!!!
Old 1/29/07, 04:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by firestang70
I first put LMs on my car and thought they sounded pretty good. Loud and scream at WOT, some drone from 1600-1800. I sold them since I was going with an O/R H (they are HELLA LOUD with this setup!!! TOO LOUD). I sold them and got FRRP stingers. Little louder at idle, VERY DEEP rumble at idle, sound great WOT. They drone more than the SLPs (for me 1700-2000) but, much better rumble and sound. I added the O/R H with these and have gotten many compliments on the exhaust(more drone in the cabin but, worth it!) I personally like the MACs as well, very deep rumble. My choice would be for the price FRRP stingers or MAC. Good luck.

Dale ... You must be a glutton for punishment. You'll be deaf before your 50. Sold the Borla's and got the GTA's with the offroad Procahmber. She is plenty loud.
Scott

Quick Reply: SLP VS. GTA Exhaust?