GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

SLP Loudmouths with Pypes Off Road H

Search this Thread

Old 1/24/06, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I went and did it......

Ok, so its stock manifolds, Off Road H, and SLP Loudmouths, which literally are straight pipes all the way with absolutely NO restriction anywhere..... heh heh heh.

So the install of the H pipe was pretty simple... the front O2 sensor on the passanger side is a female dog to get to the harness, but I got it done. The fit of the pipe is excellent, and I bolted the H part with the clamp, and have no ratttle at all.

What does it sound like? Well first off, let me say this: it is INSANELY loud. Ok stop, you dont get it. This is loud like nothing you have heard. It is loud like only a V8 motor with open pipes can sound like. You know what a pack of modded harley's sounds like? They got NOTHING on this. The pavement shakes, windows RATTLE, like not a little but, but like EARTHQUAKE! Does it sound good? well, I like it.... except for the "trumpeting" everybody has been talking about. What exactly is this trumpeting? it is an EXTREMELY LOUD AND pooTY SOUNDING BAP BAP BAP BAP like the engine is knocking when you accelerate at part throttle from about 2200 rpms up to just under 4000rpms. It is not there at WOT, and it is EXTREMELY annoying and loud when the car is cold and warming up.

It is about the same in volume as my SLPs with the stock cats at idle with one BIG difference... it is a LOT deeper and grumbles more, like it has a mild cam. at WOT, it is ear pearcingly loud. Seriously, standing behind the car with even a mild rev, and even tho I have already heard it and am expecting it, I jump. In the car, it is not bad tho.

On decelleration, it sounds like it SUCKS the air in when you hit the clutch, just like on my bike, and that sound to me is priceless.

The smell........ yeah.... wow, it smells... OLD. it smells like FUMES like a car should smell. That is all.

thats all I can think of off the top of my head now. Sorry my video is dark and hard to see. This weekend, I will take it out during the day, and get more video and make a big one with stock and SLPs, and then this. I will also have before and after DB readings, so you get some idea just how loud it is. Although, i cant say it enough.... the videos dont come close to the sheer volume of this in person.

Here is the video for now, more coming later:

http://ikeadan69.rickysanders.net/ORSLP.wmv
right click, save as please.

I cant keep the car like this as a daily driver. The volume I could live with if I am careful with cops, but the trumpeting kills it. It is like a supers sexy supermodel with loud wet farts trying to make out with you. If the trumpeting wasnt there, I think we would have a winner. I cant drive it to school like this, becuase this is CA after all, and I dont want a fix it ticket. I think I am going to have some SLP Loudmouth 2 resonators welded in, or maybe some Flowmaster 1 series... I could get high flow cats, and like SurfnSoCal, that seemed to work, but I like the smell of it now, and cats are too much money. I think the SLP Power FLow system would work well, but with the gears and the tuner, I am very short on cash and need a very low cost solution. I think I am going to get turn downs like Cleveland, and try those later this week. For now I am driving my moms car. and it sucks.
Old 1/24/06, 08:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh and I the video is really quick and does a lame job of getting the trumpeting on video. This weekend I will get a lot more and try to demonstrate it, as well as more in and out of car footage.
Old 1/24/06, 08:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by emperorjordan@January 24, 2006, 10:47 PM
It is like a supers sexy supermodel with loud wet farts trying to make out with you.
Old 1/24/06, 08:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, seriously, it is soooo close to perfect.......
Old 1/24/06, 08:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by emperorjordan@January 24, 2006, 10:56 PM
Yeah, seriously, it is soooo close to perfect.......
I believe you man, how much are the HF cats?
Old 1/24/06, 09:09 PM
Bullitt Member

man i gootaaa hear this in person hahah
Old 1/24/06, 09:11 PM
Cobra Member

SLPs without cats is bad...but im glad you like it.

-Dan
Old 1/24/06, 09:11 PM

Jordan, thanks for the detailed write-up and video.

Now that you know how loud it is in person, imagine it with LT headers instead of the stock manifolds. That's what I was running until the trumpets ruined it for me. And BTW, I have hi-flow cats, and they don't help with the trumpets. Save your $$$ there. I'm also not convinced any of the straight flowthrough type mufflers will help. The packed/chambered ones do, though. I have a set of Magnaflows on there now, and there are no trumpets... but it is just not loud enough for me.

The search continues...
Old 1/24/06, 09:14 PM
3rd Times A Charm

So your saying to stay away from the SLP LM - Pypes O/R H combo...

I love the video man! Is the trumpeting noise what I'm hearing at the end of the video?

I have Flows with the H, and I collapsed a baffle in my flow. So now I either have to replace the flows, or get something else

Would you keep the SLPs now or get some flows if money wasn't in the equation?
Old 1/24/06, 09:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

yes, unfortunatly...... there is something left to be desired.

I was looking seriously at the SLP LM 2 resonators which are similar to the Power Flow and Magnapacks, but I dont know if they will help enough.

If you say chambered mufflers but still want it loud, What about the hard to fine Flowmaster 10 series one chambers? I might look into those.

Cleveland, how much do the turndowns kill the trumpets? is it a big difference? You drive it as a daily driver, right? as it is now, I am afraid to take it to school. It isnt bad, except for the trumpets. I think I can control the sounds if they werent there.
Old 1/24/06, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by S197 GT@January 24, 2006, 8:17 PM
So your saying to stay away from the SLP LM - Pypes O/R H combo...
It's beginning to look to me like trumpets show up just about anytime the stock cats are removed, and you have a straight-through style muffler. It doesn't matter if it is an X-pipe or an H-pipe (I tried both). It doesn't seem to matter whether you have hi-flow cats or no cats. And it doesn't seem to matter if you have the stock exhaust manifolds, shorty headers or LTs. If the stock cats are gone with any of them, you'll get trumpets (unless you use a chambered muffler).

Maybe we just need to find out what the loudest chambered muffler is? I have to think there is something out there louder than the Magnaflows I have right now...
Old 1/24/06, 09:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Flowmaster 10 series.....
Old 1/24/06, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by emperorjordan@January 24, 2006, 8:36 PM
Flowmaster 10 series.....
If you find somewhere to get them, lemme know...
Old 1/24/06, 09:37 PM

BTW... I've heard conflicting reports on the effectiveness of the MAC Prochamber. One person said no trumpets, another said lotsa trumpets. That one has me stumped, too. :scratch: I need to hear it in person.
Old 1/24/06, 09:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FLOWMASTER-...sspagenameZWD1V

they look like they will do the trick to me.
Old 1/24/06, 09:55 PM
Cobra Member

seriously, go to AutoZone and buy the turndowns for less than $10 and test it out for yourself.

-Dan
Old 1/24/06, 09:58 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by don_w@January 24, 2006, 9:30 PM
It's beginning to look to me like trumpets show up just about anytime the stock cats are removed, and you have a straight-through style muffler. It doesn't matter if it is an X-pipe or an H-pipe (I tried both). It doesn't seem to matter whether you have hi-flow cats or no cats. And it doesn't seem to matter if you have the stock exhaust manifolds, shorty headers or LTs. If the stock cats are gone with any of them, you'll get trumpets (unless you use a chambered muffler).

Maybe we just need to find out what the loudest chambered muffler is? I have to think there is something out there louder than the Magnaflows I have right now...
Thanks man. So we are stuck with the trumpets for now?
Old 1/24/06, 10:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by S197 GT@January 25, 2006, 12:17 AM
I have Flows with the H, and I collapsed a baffle in my flow. So now I either have to replace the flows, or get something else
Did what to who and how? :scratch: I'd like to know more about this as I have the H on order with the flows already in place.
Old 1/24/06, 10:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by don_w@January 24, 2006, 10:14 PM
I have a set of Magnaflows on there now, and there are no trumpets... but it is just not loud enough for me.

The search continues...
I've got no trumpets either, but my car sounded like an older pickup truck with the stock Mufflers. Magnaflow designed their system to work with an x-pipe.
Old 1/25/06, 04:04 PM
Bullitt Member

On Brent's website under his sound files he shows the Pypes Violator mufflers. By the sound on that video, no "trumpets" seem present. I sent him an email to ask about this setup. No reply as of yet. Will keep you guys informed.

Quick Reply: SLP Loudmouths with Pypes Off Road H