GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

SLP-LM's VS. Corsa exhaust - A Review

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/06, 08:43 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little info that will help put this reveiw in perspective. I am 47 YO and bought the Mustang becuase it looked like to original Mustangs. I always wanted a 67-68 fastback since I was a kid, but when I got to the age I am now (when it is time to buy toys) I didn’t want to mess around with restoration - old car headaches. So when the new Mustang came out it was no brainer to get classic look with turn key operation. Some of you know that I have had the Corsa exhaust on my car since I bought it. I didn’t want something that droned in the cabin, but still sounded good. The Corsa fit that bill. So the following is my take on Corsa VS. SLP LM’s.

Fit & Finish:
The SLP’s are basically a regular exhaust pipe that will then attack to a nice, heavy duty exhaust tip. The clamps supplied are hi quality. The chrome finish is fair. The install is very easy.
The Corsa is a one piece unit. It too is very easy install. The muffler itself looks like it is made out of superior metal than SLP and the Corsa muffler almost shines. The Corsa tips are slightly more slash cut than the SLP’s and the chrome finish looks to be 2 to 3 times better. Both have 4" tips - they aren't rolled, but they are dual wall and have a bevel on the inside wall. They both have that "expensive" look.
Fit: SLP - 7 Corsa - 9
Finish: SLP - 6 Corsa- 9
Build Quality: SLP - 5, Corsa - 10

Sound Outside:
The SLP’s sound outside the car is simply awsome. When you start the car -at idle is sounds deep and about 4 to 5 times louder than stock. Driving around neighborhoods is fine and should not annoy anyone as the sound is a deep rumble. Step on it and it sounds like a 60's Muscle car with Cherry Bombs or Thrush exhaust. It does sound good, it is loud, but still acceptable. The Corsa is a little louder and deeper than stock at start up. Driving it is still a little deep and louder. To the Mustang owner that sees you drive by will “probably” know that you have a different exhaust.But to everone else, they will likely think that it sounds “factory”. However when you stand on the GO pedal the Corsa system screams and sounds more refined and is pretty loud - but not as loud as the SLP.
Loudness at cruise: SLP - 5 Corsa - 2
Loudness at High RPM: SLP - 9.5, Corsa - 7.5
Ability to sound like a 60's big Block: SLP - 8, Corsa - 3
Drone at cruise: SLP - 2, Corsa - 0
Drone while accelerating: SLP - 9, Corsa - 0

Sound Inside:
The SLP at constant speed sounds good and deep. There is some very slight drone at highway speeds. However going thru the gears is kinda obnoxious as there are areas of significant dull drone. The Corsa however does not drone at all. The sound inside the cabin sounds “refined” for a lack of a better word. It almost has an Italian car sound to it.
Inside sound quality: SLP - 1, Corsa - 9
Drone: SLP - 3.75 Corsa - 0

Power:
Well this is done with the “butt O meter” ! The SLP does not feel as powerful as the Corsa. The Corsa exhaust “seems” to be much snappier and “seems” to pull harder through the gears. Corsa does claim to add HP, so may it is true. . . . . . But nothing was done to the car ‘cept the exhaust and I drove it for 3 days before this review. With the SLP the cars sounds bold but infact “seems” to be less powerful.
Butt O Meter power: SLP - 2, Corsa - 7

Now which one do “I” like the best? That is a tough choice. The SLP sounds the way a muscle car should. While driving, others can hear that “something is different”. But the sound from inside compared to the Corsa is not too pleasing. The Corsa sounds better to me at WOT as it is a more refined sound. The SLP sounds better when starting the car. The Corsa almost sounds stock. When idleing around - like you would at a car show - again the SLP will get you noticed with a mild, deep rumble that is pleasing. While with the Corsa - people will think it is stock. Now if there is a place you can stomp the throttle, the Corsa will come alive and impress the crown while the SLP might sound a little red-neck-ish. I’ll keep both for for whatever mood I’m in.
Hope this helps someone!

I would now like to get my hands on a set of Mac's as they might be "in-between" these two. But from what I have read, the Mac's drone like crazy. . . . . [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Old 3/8/06, 09:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the great review man. I have a full Bassani setup but it drones like crazy at highway speeds. Most people don't have drone problems with Bassani but for some reason I do. My next step is to get a set of Corsas. I can't wait to hear them with my x-pipe. It may take a month or two before I get them because they are pricy.

Thanks again.
Old 3/8/06, 11:38 AM
GT Member

Nice write-up. It makes me all the more glad that I decided to go with the Corsas. I'm still considering adding the off-road H from Brenspeed to make it a little louder and release a few extra ponies, though. I love the refined sound of my Corsas and no drone. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 3/8/06, 01:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yes, very nice right up.

I considered the Corsa but they were a little to much doe for me.

I went with the Bassani X-Pipe with Comp-Cats and the Magnaflow Axle backs. It sounds mostly stock at idle but gets loud at WOT. There is absolutely no interior drone during highway crusing which was one of my main conserns when choosing a system. Overall I'm very pleased with the setup.
Old 3/8/06, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Superb review. I've been eyeing the Corsa system since it first came out. I think it looks great and NO drone is the seller. Where did you guys purchase yours from?
Old 3/10/06, 08:28 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BLT2RUN @ March 8, 2006, 10:35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Superb review. I've been eyeing the Corsa system since it first came out. I think it looks great and NO drone is the seller. Where did you guys purchase yours from?
[/b][/quote]

I bought mine from Livernois Motorsports.

-TRB
Old 3/10/06, 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TorchRedBeauty @ March 10, 2006, 10:31 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

-TRB
[/b][/quote]

Great price. I live nearby too [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Might have to get me one this Spring.
Old 3/13/06, 08:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TorchRedBeauty @ March 10, 2006, 10:31 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

-TRB
[/b][/quote]

That's actually not a bad price! Anyone happen to see it lower than that, how much does this co. charge for shipping?
Old 3/13/06, 08:52 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaverickMLFD371 @ March 13, 2006, 10:15 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That's actually not a bad price! Anyone happen to see it lower than that, how much does this co. charge for shipping?
[/b][/quote]

My total was $604.54 shipped.

-TRB
Old 3/13/06, 09:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm in the process of deciding whether I want to replace my flows with an exhaust that I dont have to replace several times, I'm on my 3rd kit now and if that fails, well no more flowmaster for me!
Old 4/11/06, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Great review.
Totaly agree with you comment on Corsa.
I love them.

Corsa Startup Video
Old 4/19/06, 05:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Corsa sucks--just ask the guy with a 2006 vette--he paid $1500 installed at the dealer and i put him too shame...................i mean from a loudness perspective.....throatier, more beefier...i would not buy them.....but hey, looks good on your car--[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 4/20/06, 01:22 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Patience @ April 19, 2006, 7:39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Corsa sucks--just ask the guy with a 2006 vette--he paid $1500 installed at the dealer and i put him too shame...................i mean from a loudness perspective.....throatier, more beefier...i would not buy them.....but hey, looks good on your car--[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

There is no need to be bashing Corsa. I don't think anyone here was bashing the SLP LMs. From what I've seen, most are just talking about what they like. It is a matter of opinions.

In order to approximate the sound of LMs, I listened to my car with no mufflers, and I personally didn't like the sound. It is too loud for my tastes and not at all refined. Loudest is not always best (in my opinion as well as several others on this forum), so try not to bash other peoples' choices.

Also, keep in mind that the Corsa's probably sound different on a Mustang than on a Corvette. You should listen to them in person on a Mustang before you make an opinion and you might be surprised.

-TRB
Old 4/20/06, 06:54 PM

I just ordered my Corsa's after researching them for a good amount of time. Just for my two cents, a friend of mine has the slp's on his stang. While they do get your attention and are very loud, I don't know if I could deal with them everyday. I like the sound of the stock exhaust, but I just wanted a bit more. Plus, the Corsa adds horsepower, of which I am certainly not going to give up for loudness. More of a quality over quantity guy myself. I do not intend to bash slp's but they are just too much noise for me.
Old 4/23/06, 11:22 PM
Bullitt Member

I would definately like to know how the Corsa's sound with the Pypes off road h pipe. Up here in Canada, the Corsa's cost an arm & a leg, but if anyone has this setup and could post a sound clip, it could make me shell out the cash.