GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Simple battery question

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/08, 01:05 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Simple battery question

Hello, I let my GT sit in the garage for about 3 weeks now. Car was locked up with the active alarm system on (yeah I know). Obviously, the battery was dead today. I was about to charge the battery back up with a regular 12v trickle charger but... someone in my family just told me that the battery might overheat and blow up by doing this. He says it should have the screw things on it to let some of the acid splash out while recharging. I don't understand a thing to what he's saying and I kind of believe he's just wasting my time but I don't wanna take a chance.

I have the stock Motorcraft battery and a regular 12v charger. So the issue is the following: 1) Can I use the 12v charger to safely charge the battery back up? And 2) Do I have to pull it out of the car before doing it?

I appreciate the input. Thanks!
Old 10/12/08, 01:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I've used my Craftsman charger on my 07 Mustang a few times as I have an unresolved Shaker 500 electrical issue that has killed my battery a couple of times. No problems. I also use the same charger to trickle charge the battery for my travel trailer each winter when we aren't using it. No problems.

You should be OK in charging your battery in the car.
Old 10/12/08, 03:10 PM
V6 Member

Thank you very much. Kind of backs up what I originally thought. I'll just go with what you said.
Old 10/12/08, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no reason not to trickle charge a sealed battery. I do it all the time.

And one of the best moves I've made was to get rid of the stock battery and replace it with the Optima yellow top. I have literally drained that one completely dozens of times, but I can't kill it. It comes back strong every time after a charge.
Old 10/12/08, 09:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Maybe its only me, but I have NEVER hade a problem with die hard batteries. My dad had sworn by them for probably 30 years now, And I have never had a problem as of yet. My last battery (weather handler) lasted me 7 years, before I sold it with my my truck, As far as I know, Its still probabaly running strong.
Old 10/13/08, 05:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 69_gt500
Maybe its only me, but I have NEVER hade a problem with die hard batteries. My dad had sworn by them for probably 30 years now, And I have never had a problem as of yet. My last battery (weather handler) lasted me 7 years, before I sold it with my my truck, As far as I know, Its still probabaly running strong.
I heard somewhere that there are only three major battery manufacturing companies in the U.S. that supply the vast majority of batteries including Exide, Johnson Controls, or Delphi. The various battery companies, including Sears, just send in their specs and the company makes it for them. Anybody have a line on this?