GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

are the shorty headers worth it? i know its an old

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/07, 07:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are the shorty headers worth it? i know its an old

topic... any hp gain? was it something like less then 3hp?
Old 9/2/07, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am kind curious myself I live in Cali and so far as I know there isnt a set of longtubes thats Carb certified around these parts so I have been considering the shorty headers from jba.

I guess if nothing else it will look better then the factory headers that already have a nice powder coat of rust.
Old 9/2/07, 01:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought a set of JBA ceramic coated Cat4Ward headers from a member here and they are going to be installed the week of the 15th. I'll let you know my inpressions after they are installed. Longtubes are going to give you the increase you want but these shorty headers have C.A.R.B. stamps so living in California I opted for these. Out of all of the shorty headers the only good thing I have heard was about the JBA's.

He seller has another set on the for sale section that have 500 miles on them and he wanted $350. If you want shorty headers I would jump on those.
Old 9/2/07, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Gotta love cali eh
Old 9/3/07, 11:35 AM

I`m suprised with shorty headers getting such a bad rep on all the Mustang forums I`ve joined. It`s pretty much a given that they don`t make power like long tubes. But I`ve actually read people saying you lose power with shortys. I don`t see how that could be true in any way, but I don`t have experience running shorty headers on the new Mustangs.

IMO, shorty headers would be an improvement over the stock manifolds. Anything that helps you breath better is good. And you don`t have much of a choice in Cali. anyway.

I`ve looked at the Cat4ward shorty headers and they look good to me. As far as quality and cost/value.

Eric
Old 9/3/07, 01:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by elvism
topic... any hp gain? was it something like less then 3 hp?
I installed Steeda shorties about seven months ago gotta thread about my install somewhere! Ya! most claim about 3 to 8 HP top end but much better gains are found in the lower RPM range where the real world driving is done! I noticed a difference when I installed mine! especially in lower RPM torque!........
Old 9/3/07, 02:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bazguitarman
I`m suprised with shorty headers getting such a bad rep on all the Mustang forums I`ve joined. It`s pretty much a given that they don`t make power like long tubes. But I`ve actually read people saying you lose power with shortys. I don`t see how that could be true in any way, but I don`t have experience running shorty headers on the new Mustangs.

IMO, shorty headers would be an improvement over the stock manifolds. Anything that helps you breath better is good. And you don`t have much of a choice in Cali. anyway.

I`ve looked at the Cat4ward shorty headers and they look good to me. As far as quality and cost/value.

Eric
Ford actually did a fairly decent job with the exhaust design which is why you see little power gain, what you do see Ive heard is a nice rise in torque. As far as loosing power I have only heard that when talking about axleback's.
Old 9/3/07, 03:39 PM
Cobra Member

The gains from Shorties is actually pretty good. You can expect about 10-15 HP and up to 20Ft. Lbs of torque.

Richard
Old 9/3/07, 03:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take this for what it's worth. If I get 20 HP I'm going to be a happy guy!
Old 9/3/07, 04:28 PM
Cobra Member

Me too. i wonder if it takes a 'tune' to get there. I saw that JBA article a long time ago, but could not find it on their site. Looks like you found it. I would think from a technical standpoint the JBA equal length would fare better than the BBK, but these things do not always work out like you might think.

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY

Take this for what it's worth. If I get 20 HP I'm going to be a happy guy!
Old 9/3/07, 04:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
The gains from Shorties is actually pretty good. You can expect about 10-15 HP and up to 20Ft. Lbs of torque.

Richard
I'm not sure where you're getting 10-15? The article says 4, and it actually lost a lot of top end. Peak horsepower and torque are now showing up earlier. Fine for the street, bad for the track. That's a good torque gain, don't get me wrong. If shorties are the only choice, then by all means, go for it. But if longtubes are a possibility, go there because you'll gain a lot more and keep your top end.
Old 9/3/07, 06:56 PM
Cobra Member

Go back and re read the purple area of article.

Richard
Old 9/3/07, 08:33 PM
Bullitt Member

I disagree with you Steve.

Gains with shorty's over stock are evident all through the power band. 17 additional torque at 3,000 is huge. 5-7hp seems to be the average also until over 5,000. I do not know about you guys but I think a good place to shift during very hard acc. is at 5,250 rpms, so losses in hp wouldn't matter above 5,000.

After seeing this, shory's are now back on my list of mods plus it I hear it is possible to do it yourself even for a noobie
Old 9/4/07, 03:45 AM
Bullitt Member

I just installed BBK equal length shorty headers on Saturday. I could feel the extra power down low, I haven't really had a chance to give her yet, so I can't really comment on the top end. As far as racing theres an event coming up this weekend so we'll she how it has changed that. I've got a crappy reaction time, I grew up around bracket racing in highschool so I'm not used to a pro tree, but I'd rather have some torque down low and lead out of the hole instead of feeling like I'm playing catch up. I put in flowmaster mufflers at the same time so I can't say if it changed the sound at all, but the combination of the two made a deep powerful tone, sounds smooth and makes the car feel different. They look alot better than the stock manifold as well. If you're comparing shorties to long tube, long tube wins hands down, however I believe there is a slight improvement with shorties.
Old 9/4/07, 08:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bored out
I disagree with you Richard.

Gains with shorty's over stock are evident all through the power band. 17 additional torque at 3,000 is huge. 5-7hp seems to be the average also until over 5,000. I do not know about you guys but I think a good place to shift during very hard acc. is at 5,250 rpms, so losses in hp wouldn't matter above 5,000.

After seeing this, shory's are now back on my list of mods plus it I hear it is possible to do it yourself even for a noobie
Why are you disagreeing with me? I said they are worth the small gain they give. I am the one that posted the article that shows they are worth it.

Richard
Old 9/4/07, 08:49 AM
Cobra Member

shorty vs. long tubes

hi guys...

besides price, what would be reason why you would go shorty vs. long tube?

there is no WRONG mod here. all mods are cool and relative to the persons needs/wants

it seems that Long tube truly gives the car significant HP/torque gain. shorty gives less.

i hear kooks long tube is way to go for really good performance gain...

thanks...
Old 9/4/07, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Sorry Rich, i meant Steve.
Old 9/4/07, 02:50 PM

I`ve looked at shortys as a viable option instead of long tubes, but mostly from a financial stand point. I know that either will add power but the type of power is the real determining factor. Drivers who want more torque in lower RPM`s for the street will like the shortys. Drivers who want the big power numbers and will see track time will like long tubes.

I`ll probably go with long tubes since I`ll be adding a Whipple in the future. That way I`ll get the most out of the motor that I can.

Eric
Old 9/4/07, 03:54 PM
Cobra Member

No problem Tom

I thought that is what you might have meant. I was like WTF why is he disagreeing with me yet he then said what i was saying. Had me puzzled.

Richard
Old 9/4/07, 05:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Are FRPP shorty headers CARB / California emission approved??

Thx,
Mike

Quick Reply: are the shorty headers worth it? i know its an old