GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

shorty header install, is it tough?

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/07, 05:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's some pics of my Shortie install to put this thread back on topic! Don't mine the drool on them!.....
Attached Thumbnails shorty header install, is it tough?-mvc-025s.jpg   shorty header install, is it tough?-mvc-026s.jpg   shorty header install, is it tough?-mvc-027s.jpg  
Old 7/29/07, 08:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blkstang06
Here's some pics of my Shortie install to put this thread back on topic! Don't mine the drool on them!.....
Looks great bro! What shorty's are the same size as the stock? Did you have any trouble reaching all the manifold bolts?
Old 7/30/07, 06:35 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by bored out
Looks great bro! What shorty's are the same size as the stock? Did you have any trouble reaching all the manifold bolts?
Mine are Steeda's I think there basically the same as the FRPP'S but the steeda's are T304 polished SS no rust Issues. Actually The drivers side was easy, I found that surprising, to look you would think it would be harder! Passenger side went smooth after I removed the battery and box, that really opens up the passenger side!
Old 7/30/07, 10:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine are Steeda's I think there basically the same as the FRPP'S but the steeda's are T304 polished SS no rust Issues. Actually The drivers side was easy, I found that surprising, to look you would think it would be harder! Passenger side went smooth after I removed the battery and box, that really opens up the passenger side!
Any issues with the Steeda's coming into contact with anything when cornering or when the engine moves under load? I like the fact that they're 304SS...that's what I'll probably go with...
Old 7/30/07, 11:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Awesome! Thanks for the headsup!

Did you feel any HP gains from the shorty's?
Old 7/30/07, 11:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I haven't priced the Steedas or FRPP ceramic lately to see if one is alot cheaper than the other; I don't think you can go wrong with either version. Also FYI I believe STD says he could feel some increased pull after his install..... I honestly didn't really notice anything but then again my car pulls pretty hard with 4.10s and blower.
Old 7/30/07, 03:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by MrClean
Any issues with the Steeda's coming into contact with anything when cornering or when the engine moves under load? I like the fact that they're 304SS...that's what I'll probably go with...
I had no contact issue's until I lowered the Stang! I do notice some slight Steering shaft contact on sharp on and off ramps when I'm on the throttle hard! but its not bad, I plan on doing some more exhaust mods I will then apply the High tech fix Ford Racing suggests, dent the header at point of contact! lol!
Old 7/30/07, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tom281
I haven't priced the Steedas or FRPP ceramic lately to see if one is alot cheaper than the other; I don't think you can go wrong with either version. Also FYI I believe STD says he could feel some increased pull after his install..... I honestly didn't really notice anything but then again my car pulls pretty hard with 4.10s and blower.
It takes some serious skill to get that power to the ground. When you get 4.10's and a blower, I would advise in buying a few shares in NITTO!
Old 7/30/07, 03:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Steeda's $320.00 shipped. Yes I could notice increased torque - more grunt in lower RPM'S, if I where building a show and track car as tom281 is the FRPP's ceramics would be a good option! because believe me they are not the same color as when installed lol! now there a polished rainbow blue ..
Old 7/30/07, 03:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
It takes some serious skill to get that power to the ground. When you get 4.10's and a blower, I would advise in buying a few shares in NITTO!
Yep, I have Nitto 555 275/40/18s on all 4 corners...... I've spent more on the tires this year than I have on gas LOL!

Steeda's $320.00 shipped. Yes I could notice increased torque - more grunt in lower RPM'S, if I where building a show and track car as tom281 is the FRPP's ceramics would be a good option! because believe me they are not the same color as when installed lol! now there a polished rainbow blue ..
That's a great price on the Steedas! I think the FRPP ceramics are like $400-$450. I bought mine used for $200 here on the forum.
Old 7/30/07, 05:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you buy headers that aren't ceramic coated thay are going to turn blue and or rust.

Scott, how long did it take you to install the headers? I think I remember a how-to thread by you on this and if you could post the link that would be cool.
Old 7/30/07, 06:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
If you buy headers that aren't ceramic coated thay are going to turn blue and or rust.

Scott, how long did it take you to install the headers? I think I remember a how-to thread by you on this and if you could post the link that would be cool.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=61484 Rich, it took me about 8 hours, spread out over two days! In saying that I did it in the middle a lovely Illinois winter! my heater was out in my garage at the time! it was about 25 degrees lol! on jack stands. On a lift and without suffering from hypothermia.. probable about 4 hours! The neat thing about the t304 is if one is ambitious, the bluing will polish out back to a almost new look !
Old 7/30/07, 06:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for the link Scott! I really think down the road I am going to do shorties.
Old 7/30/07, 07:00 PM

I had to ditch the Nitto 450s... they didn't work anymore on the street. On the other hand, the M&H DRs work awesome.
Old 7/30/07, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=61484 Rich, it took me about 8 hours, spread out over two days! In saying that I did it in the middle a lovely Illinois winter! my heater was out in my garage at the time! it was about 25 degrees lol! on jack stands. On a lift and without suffering from hypothermia.. probable about 4 hours! The neat thing about the t304 is if one is ambitious, the bluing will polish out back to a almost new look !
Awesome write up bro!

Did you get your car dyno'd with the shorty's and the C&L Racer? Do the Steeda's not rub the steering column at all?
Old 7/30/07, 07:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

I had no contact issue's until I lowered the Stang! I do notice some slight Steering shaft contact on sharp on and off ramps when I'm on the throttle hard! but its not bad, I plan on doing some more exhaust mods I will then apply the High tech fix Ford Racing suggests, dent the header at point of contact! lol!
Answer to your question bored-out
Old 7/31/07, 10:28 AM
Bullitt Member

So Steedas and FRPP shortys rub, that stinks!
Old 7/31/07, 11:23 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

So Steedas and FRPP shortys rub, that stinks!
Its no big deal ! they sometimes need a little massage.......Like we all do....... I wouldn't let it stop me from bolting on a pair...
Old 7/31/07, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here was a thread I started about my LT header experience. It looks like you are set on shorties, but there are some pics in here to give you an idea what to expect during the install.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...merican+racing
Old 7/31/07, 02:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I just ordered these. haven't seen ceramic BBk headers much cheaper than this

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS

Quick Reply: shorty header install, is it tough?