GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Shifting to 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 8/24/07, 10:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shifting to 2nd

Ok so here's the deal... I am forever missing 2nd gear. I know all I should have to do is just jerk it in there but, somtimes it just seems like it doesnt want to go. The funny thing is I almost never miss 3rd, just slides right in. Anyone else have my problem or am I just a scrub who isnt jerking that beast hard enough?
Old 8/24/07, 10:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure you don't have anything in your cup holders. For some reason, probably have to hold my arm at a wierd angle, that will do it to me every time.
Old 8/24/07, 12:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

You shouldn't have to pull it very hard to get it into 2nd gear. It should be as easy to slide in as every other gear. If not, something is not right.
Old 8/24/07, 12:33 PM

Second gear in these cars sucks. I replaced one tranny due to second gear going out and now mine's going out again.
Old 8/24/07, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

well driving normally its nothing... Its just at high RPM.
Old 8/24/07, 03:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

MGW Shifter!
Old 8/24/07, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

You shouldn't have to pull it very hard to get it into 2nd gear. It should be as easy to slide in as every other gear. If not, something is not right
i'd say have it checked , the stock shifter is like a wet noodle.... the main reason for missing third, no reason to ever miss 2nd, even at high rpm's.
Old 8/24/07, 06:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I missed third today for the first time since the first day I had the car. Was NOT happy. I do have to work on getting a shifter.
Old 8/24/07, 06:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
My 3650 is quirky. I've found on occasion that 2nd gear can have a lot of resistance when you're shifting at higher RPMs. The same thing happens in 5th gear. If you clutch out and wait for the RPMs to drop, it should slide right in (upshifts). For downshifts, try revmatching for better results.

I think it all rolls down to Ford's "engineering" methodology. Find an engine and a transmission that fits in the chassis. Disregard any engineering protocols for matching the powertrain and drivetrain to the car.
Old 8/24/07, 08:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Can't say I have ever missed second. Certainly have missed third a couple times. But have gotten it perfect at this point. Still can;t really slam thrid like I can in my other cars.
Old 8/25/07, 05:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
My problem is with 4th...... I've seldom missed 2nd or 3rd but several times under power I've missed 4th.
Old 8/25/07, 06:41 AM

Chris, Same problem here. Corrected after having the Trans worked on under warranty. Second gear replaced, syncro, hub, bearing and some other items all replaced. Works great for now. I was having a grinding noise when attempting second like the syncro was shot. Do you have any noises when going for second?

Tom I also have problems getting into fourth under power. Can't power shift 4th I have to speed shift it at the track. All other times 4th works great.
Old 8/25/07, 08:21 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't like 2nd gear either. I think the key is making sure you pull at an angle and make sure the shifter is as far left as it can go while you're shifting. If you just try to go straight back, you may miss or go into 4th.
Old 8/25/07, 10:50 AM
Big Falken Tires

After Hurst comp shifter install, going to second is definitely easier than it used to be with stock - never loved the 1st to second with the stock shifter

after being out of a manual for so many years, what I noticed with my car is that if you languidly go to shift, it can not seem to engage as smoothly as you wanted - but if you are focused and make a short determined effort when shifting (like sliding a rifle bolt home) the shift is alot easier and cleaner and just locks in.
Old 8/25/07, 11:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidM
Tom I also have problems getting into fourth under power. Can't power shift 4th I have to speed shift it at the track. All other times 4th works great.
David I am tempted to try the CHE k-member with torque limiters... but my budget is blown- getting an intercooler and smaller pully very soon so maybe after that I'll get the CHE piece.
Old 8/25/07, 12:04 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
my 2nd is kinda messed up- first time at the strip was shifting on the revlimiter, and it did NOT like it...now it will usually not go into second at over 5000, however, best times at the dragstrip was shifting just under 5k anyways(13.78 @103 bone stock). I'm pretty sure I burned the synchronizer the first time it wouldnt go in, now on rare occasion it will NOT go into second for any resaon- last week on the way to work it 'locked' (just in town, 2500-3k shift) just to see what would happen held pressure, and pulled REAL hard, felt almost as if something has galled and wouldnt slide...took substantial pressure, but it popped in -forcing it that one time seemed to help, hasnt done it since- but I know somethings amiss...I changed to royal purple synthetic and really noticed an improvement in third(smooth as silk) and a little better going to second. Never gave much to the snake oil claims, but the stuff definitely smooths out the tranny. I'm thinking about getting a spare tranny and going with royal purple from the gitgo, then look at beefing up the one I damaged- thought I saw carbon fiber synchros advertised in one of the mustang mags, but not certain if they were fo the 05+ models...sooner or later I'm sure there will be better parts available. In my opinion though, shifting past 5000 was a mistake, as in my case it is a couple tenths faster by shifting around 4700 vs 6000, and it still barks the tires in 2nd/3rd.
Old 8/25/07, 12:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I looked at Royal Purple, Amsoil, Mobil 1, and other synthetics, but I went with Redline's High Temp ATF because it was the thickest ATF that met the Mercon specification and was rated for GL-4 applications. The RP, M1, D4, and Amsoil are just as thin as any other synthetic Mercon ATF.

If I wait 2 seconds for the RPMs to drop before shifting, my 3650 feels smooth as silk.
Old 8/25/07, 04:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormbringer
Ok so here's the deal... I am forever missing 2nd gear. I know all I should have to do is just jerk it in there but, somtimes it just seems like it doesnt want to go. The funny thing is I almost never miss 3rd, just slides right in. Anyone else have my problem or am I just a scrub who isnt jerking that beast hard enough?
You might want to have it looked at, the only gear I ever had an issue with was 3rd occasionally.That was taken care of when I installed the Steeda bushings on my shifter. Stock except for the bushings here.
Old 8/27/07, 01:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DavidM
Chris, Same problem here. Corrected after having the Trans worked on under warranty. Second gear replaced, syncro, hub, bearing and some other items all replaced. Works great for now. I was having a grinding noise when attempting second like the syncro was shot. Do you have any noises when going for second?

Not normally. Somtimes when it doesnt go all the way in Ill grind some when I let the clutch back out. As far as everyday driving no worries.
Old 8/28/07, 08:31 AM

Those with problems, are you running the Steeda Triax shifter? For some reason I'm thinking that's the cause of my transmission problems. But I'll stand by my claim that second gear sucks in these trannys and can't withstand a beating every once in awhile. Heck since the second tranny was put in I haven't even beat on it.

Quick Reply: Shifting to 2nd