GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Saleen Suspension System Vs. FR Handling Pack

Search this Thread

Old 11/21/06, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saleen Suspension System Vs. FR Handling Pack

I would like to lower the stance of my car as well as improve the handling of the car. I am not sure which to choose, between the Saleen Suspension System and the FR Handling Pack. Could any one who has either one of these on there car comment on the new stance of the car as well as the handling gains and overall ride? Furthermore, because these parts void the warranty which of the two is more durable and will most likely cause me the least amount trouble. Thanks

Adam
Old 11/21/06, 10:48 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diablo72887
I would like to lower the stance of my car as well as improve the handling of the car. I am not sure which to choose, between the Saleen Suspension System and the FR Handling Pack. Could any one who has either one of these on there car comment on the new stance of the car as well as the handling gains and overall ride? Furthermore, because these parts void the warranty which of the two is more durable and will most likely cause me the least amount trouble. Thanks

Adam
PM sent earlier today...

and truthfully, some dealerships might give you a hassle if self installed but I wouldn't sweat that TOO much with these suspension kits.....
Old 11/21/06, 10:55 AM
Bullitt Member

I had the FRPP suspension kit installed by a Ford Racing Dealership and it is covered by my existing warranty. Yes I have that in writing from Ford. Check the Ford Racing site for an approved dealer.

The kit is fantastic the car handles like it is on rails and it looks great with the lowered stance, more of a difference than I anticipated.
Old 11/21/06, 01:11 PM
I Have Admin Envy

I noticed the saleen kit at ninosport does not include a rear swaybar. I wonder why?

I'm currently in a similar dilemma
Old 11/21/06, 03:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Galaxie
I noticed the saleen kit at ninosport does not include a rear swaybar. I wonder why?

I'm currently in a similar dilemma
personally I feel your always better off going with factory mods when available...its not really a quality issue as much as a compatibility one! and I have found out thru personal experience tends to help resale value!!!!
Old 11/21/06, 03:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

What about the Steeda suspension kit? I compared the three, FRPP, Roush, and Steeda. The Steeda comes with Tokico D-specs.
Old 11/21/06, 03:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by The Reverend
What about the Steeda suspension kit? I compared the three, FRPP, Roush, and Steeda. The Steeda comes with Tokico D-specs.
Even thou I believe in using factory mods I like the Roush set-up for one! 1.5 inch drop for many Stang owners is not practical in the real world! its great on the track! Roush's drop is only about 3/4 of an inch! with excellent dampeners and all needed hardware! all three are great suspension packages....
Old 11/21/06, 04:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by NDHESQ

The kit is fantastic the car handles like it is on rails and it looks great with the lowered stance, more of a difference than I anticipated.
+1 I love it, looks and performance are top notch!!
Old 11/22/06, 12:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Adam, I've got the FR suspension and love it. Stance is perfect (as are most of the lowering kits) with a bias towards rake to the front (as it should be). Handling is perfect, had a blast with mine this past summer at a 2 day roadcourse event, the professional instructors who drove with me commented on how neutral the car was (versus a stock GT on the track that understeered considerably). Comparing the stock vs FR suspension setup is like night and day. A little firm compared to stock for your daily driving but any kit will be the same. Not obnoxious, just firm. But I like my cars this way.

And...final reason I went with FRP is because it was engineered and designed by Multimatic - same people who build the FR500C. I think they know a little bit about our Mustangs, agree ??? Even had mine installed by Multimatic (just for fun and to see the FR500's in various stages of production).

Won't go wrong if you go with Ford Racing, guaranteed !!

Mark
Old 11/22/06, 04:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Question: What do the stock 05-up Mustang GTs have? A front and rear anti-sway bar?
Old 11/22/06, 01:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
Question: What do the stock 05-up Mustang GTs have? A front and rear anti-sway bar?
Yes. The V6s don't have a rear sway bar.
Old 11/23/06, 02:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Jimp
Yes. The V6s don't have a rear sway bar.
Are you serious? Hell, both Bosses had a rear sway bar in '69... although they were Bosses, still, that's 37 years ago.

Plymouth Road Runners had factory rear swaybars on all models standard in '72... ****, that's really dissappointing.
Old 11/23/06, 03:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Even thou I believe in using factory mods I like the Roush set-up for one! 1.5 inch drop for many Stang owners is not practical in the real world! its great on the track! Roush's drop is only about 3/4 of an inch! with excellent dampeners and all needed hardware! all three are great suspension packages....
is a 3/4 of an inch drop enough to get rid of the 4x4 look? as you mentioned, i am worried a drop of 1.5 inches might be too much for driveways and parking garages here in hawaii. i would prefer to get a factory mod though. does the roush kit void the warranty too? their supercharger doesn't, so i am wondering if maybe their suspension wont either.
Old 11/23/06, 07:44 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by sound wave
is a 3/4 of an inch drop enough to get rid of the 4x4 look? as you mentioned, i am worried a drop of 1.5 inches might be too much for driveways and parking garages here in hawaii. i would prefer to get a factory mod though. does the roush kit void the warranty too? their supercharger doesn't, so i am wondering if maybe their suspension wont either.
The warranty issue! thats a big issue I struggle with that my self I cant answer that ..but I many people are far to cavalier about altering there suspensions! My family has been in the Truck and auto suspension business for over forty years we operate service centers in Illinois and Indiana, Ford spent thousands of hours and millions of dollars designing the suspension you have on your Car, I don't like the ride height in the rear either it sits about 3/4 inch higher than the front thats not by accident! thats to give your vehicle rake! Ford, Roush,Saleen and steeda performance suspension packages do the drops equal to keep vehicle rake! many people drop the back lower to level the car! It may look good but your truly not optimizing your suspension potential! Think about it! look around there are Ford dealers that specialize in performance modifications! you have a $30.000 car! what ever you do to the suspension! do it correctly don't cut corners it will cost more! but you will be glad you did in the long run!
Old 11/23/06, 10:45 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by sound wave
I looked at the FRPP, Roush and Saleen kits. I decided to go with the Roush kit because I wanted less drop and I preferred the OEM type bushings for my street car. The kit lowered my car 7/8" in front and 1" in the rear. I think it got rid of the 4x4 look but there's still a gap above the tires.

I don't know about the warranty. I have my car serviced at a dealership that sells Saleens, modified GTs and FRPP so I haven't had any problems.

This isn't my car but it's a great thread on the Roush kit.

http://www.fnsweet.com/forums/showth...4&page=1&pp=20

Year One had the best price when I bought my kit. They don't stock them so it took a few weeks to get it.

http://www.yearone.com/
Old 11/23/06, 04:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 428CJ(R)
I looked at the FRPP, Roush and Saleen kits. I decided to go with the Roush kit because I wanted less drop and I preferred the OEM type bushings for my street car. The kit lowered my car 7/8" in front and 1" in the rear. I think it got rid of the 4x4 look but there's still a gap above the tires.

I don't know about the warranty. I have my car serviced at a dealership that sells Saleens, modified GTs and FRPP so I haven't had any problems.

This isn't my car but it's a great thread on the Roush kit.

http://www.fnsweet.com/forums/showth...4&page=1&pp=20

Year One had the best price when I bought my kit. They don't stock them so it took a few weeks to get it.

http://www.yearone.com/
great! thanks for that post.
Old 11/23/06, 09:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I see where there is a recall on the front struts on the Roush suspension kit. I have been eyeballing that kit for some time because I like the drop being fairly small and it seems to be very complete. Thanks for the heads up about Year One!
Old 11/24/06, 12:15 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I see where there is a recall on the front struts on the Roush suspension kit. I have been eyeballing that kit for some time because I like the drop being fairly small and it seems to be very complete. Thanks for the heads up about Year One!
I was concerned about the strut recall and was pleased to find the revised struts in my kit. I saw a post about an identical recall for Eibach struts. Maybe they're the same parts.

Here are a couple of links about the recalls.

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/r...artner=edmunds

http://store.roushperformance.com/im...ice_060915.pdf
Old 11/24/06, 05:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Every_Mn
Are you serious? Hell, both Bosses had a rear sway bar in '69... although they were Bosses, still, that's 37 years ago.

Plymouth Road Runners had factory rear swaybars on all models standard in '72... ****, that's really dissappointing.
The Boss 302 didn't get a rear bar until 1970.
Old 11/24/06, 07:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 65sohc
The Boss 302 didn't get a rear bar until 1970.
And the V6 isn't exactly a Boss, heh.

Quick Reply: Saleen Suspension System Vs. FR Handling Pack