GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

S/C Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/05, 05:32 PM
dlc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my heart set on a KB blower but got some interesting news on the way home from the trake sat night. A freind of mine ownes a race car shop in town and is a paxton dealer. He said he would sale me a paxton kit at cost. He said he was not sure but he thought there was usualy $700 to a $1000 markup on them.

My problem is I have heard the paxtons are ruff on a stock motor. Is this true?

How much would it cost to put forged internals in my motor?

I just cant decided if I want to jump on the savings and get the Paxton kit or wait and save some more money?

Opinions please?
Old 11/20/05, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I won't try to compare Paxton to the others out there, but ask yourself a couple questions:

1. If you were planning on a twin screw, would you be happy with a centrifugal?
2. And since you say that you had your heart set on the KB, will you forever have that naggin "what if" in your head if you go with the Paxton?
Old 11/20/05, 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Just run 6-8 lbs for a while and save up for internals, and enjoy whatever your car ends up making at that boost level.

I'm done with centrifies... Whatever I get will be roots type for sure. The centrifugal blowers seem to be making all of the big power numbers right now, which is naturally harder on parts. I have all but decided on the Roushcharger, but I'm going to wait a little while longer and read the upcoming reviews on the Stage 3 Roush car, which has the kit.

Old 11/20/05, 05:48 PM
dlc

I don’t really have my heart set on a K/B i had just decided for the $5000 price rang that was what i was going to get. I just haven’t researched Paxton much at all. My car is a daily driver and is driven a lot. I just want something that will be reliable.

And I was thinking for the money I save on the blower I could put towards forging the motor. About how much would it cost to build the motor to handle some boost?

I am new to the scene. First mustang.
Old 11/20/05, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm in the same boat. I am looking at a Paxton also. I like the ROUSH and KB and it looks like Ford will be out with their own next year. I just dont want to take the top of the motor off. It seems that the Paxton is more of a bolt on and can be removed easeier. Or if it falls will the Paxton still let the motor run without the boost??? lots of questions...
Old 11/20/05, 10:10 PM
Cobra Member

ROUSH has a great looking setup wither theirs.
Old 11/21/05, 01:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the paxton and have had no problems. The car is still very streetable and haven't had anyproblems with it.
Old 11/21/05, 09:03 PM
Cobra Member

So how reliable and safe for the motor are the Roush, Saleen, and soon to be Ford superchargers? I am assuming they are all going to run very similar amounts of boost.
Old 11/21/05, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by PIKE2244@November 21, 2005, 8:06 PM
So how reliable and safe for the motor are the Roush, Saleen, and soon to be Ford superchargers? I am assuming they are all going to run very similar amounts of boost.
They can be made to run a wide range of boost levels by making a pulley swap. Reliability and safety decrease as the boost increases... keep it around 4-5psi, and they are pretty good. Start closing in on 10psi and you'd better have the tune nailed perfectly (as well as have other components, too... such as bigger injectors, etc.).
Old 11/22/05, 05:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by PIKE2244@November 21, 2005, 10:06 PM
The base tune on the roots-type kits seem to be more conservative than the centrifugal blowers for some reason. I think the centrifugal group is less-OEM oriented and try to lure people in with bigger numbers. The truth is you can make plenty of power with any of the systems, so just focus on which is right for you and your car. I have been the centrifugal route before and they are fun but this time I'm going with a roots type positive displacement blower. I love low-end and mid-range torque for a fun street car, and the OEM-appearance, fit and finish is also something that's more important to me this time around.