GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

RoushSuspension & Hawk HPS Pads Installed Today.

Search this Thread

Old 12/29/06, 06:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
RoushSuspension & Hawk HPS Pads Installed Today.

I had the Roush struts, shocks and front springs installed today along with the Hawk HPS pads and BMR adjustable panhard bar. I haven't had time to do any wrenching on my car and to be honest I'm not the best at it anyway.

I really like the stance of the car and the drop is perfect imo. The car feels better than when I just had the Roush rear springs on and it actually rides better. I feel like the car is now more in balance. I'll get pictures of the stance tomorrow. Inch drop in the rear which was already there with the springs and .75" the front. I had them install a BMR adj. panhard bar because it was out about .25" and now it's square.

The Hawk pads are nice and I do feel an improvement over the stock pads. The rear pads got really hot and you have to run the car for awhile at speed to cool them down after you "burnish" them in. If you change out your pads follow the directions for breaking them in.

After loading Brenspeed's newest tune in my car next week, I"M DONE!
Old 12/29/06, 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Sounds good Rich- be sure to post those pix.

Done? Uh, sure......
Old 12/29/06, 07:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bet I'll find another post on here from Rich posted later today asking about some pending mod!! Can't wait to see her in person though!!
Old 12/29/06, 07:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I had the Roush struts, shocks and front springs installed today along with the Hawk HPS pads and BMR adjustable panhard bar. I haven't had time to do any wrenching on my car and to be honest I'm not the best at it anyway.

I really like the stance of the car and the drop is perfect imo. The car feels better than when I just had the Roush rear springs on and it actually rides better. I feel like the car is now more in balance. I'll get pictures of the stance tomorrow. Inch drop in the rear which was already there with the springs and .75" the front. I had them install a BMR adj. panhard bar because it was out about .25" and now it's square.

The Hawk pads are nice and I do feel an improvement over the stock pads. The rear pads got really hot and you have to run the car for awhile at speed to cool them down after you "burnish" them in. If you change out your pads follow the directions for breaking them in.

After loading Brenspeed's newest tune in my car next week, I"M DONE!
Curious if Roush has published his spring rates?
Old 12/29/06, 09:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Nice mods! I just put the Roush rear springs a Hawk HPS pads myself. They didn't come with any break in instructions, so I'm just being gentle with them for a week or so with slow, smooth stops and no hard braking especially to a full stop, which I've heard will glaze them.

My Roush rear springs kicked my axle out to the side by 3/16", so the CHE double adjustable panhard bar is going on tomorrow to tweak it back over.

Sounds good, but you know you're never done.
Old 12/29/06, 09:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

I copied this from Hawk's website and tried to follow the instructions.

Burnishing Instructions
  1. After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.
  2. Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.
  3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
  4. Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.
  5. After step 4 your new pads are ready for use.
Old 12/30/06, 05:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I copied this from Hawk's website and tried to follow the instructions.

Burnishing Instructions
  1. After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.
  2. Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.
  3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
  4. Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.
  5. After step 4 your new pads are ready for use.
Thanks! That sounds pretty close to what I did. That's not bad, around 10 stops and there all broke in.

Congrads again on the new suspension! Got pics? I've heard good things about the Roush suspension.
Old 12/30/06, 07:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice graypny. At some point I plan on going with the front springs and shocks/struts.

Be prepared for some major brake dust from the pads, but I love em.
Do get a squeek now and then, not bad.

The break in was fun, lol. I wonder what the other cars that seen me were thinking.
Old 12/30/06, 10:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Glad to hear you have that thing done. FOR NOW!
But,
Old 12/30/06, 02:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

*IMPORTANT UPDATE*

I had an appointment this morning to get my front end aligned and when I arrived at Midas the rear brake pads were smoking and hotter than heck. They put the car up and pulled the wheels and the mechanic who installed the pads yesterday (different shop) didn't clock the pads to the piston and the ebrake was hanging up. I almost ruined the rotors, pads, and calibers!
When I picked the car up yesterday I drove it straight home and didn't really put any miles on it but as mentioned in an earlier post I thought it smelled really hot. They resurfaced the pads and thought I might look into new rotors because mine are scored. I got the car aligned and had a $10 off coupon and the total was $59.95. They didn't charge me a dime to do the brake work. WOW! Midas

Now for the pictures. It handles much better and I did get into a few twisties today. Might look into the sway bars down the road.
Attached Thumbnails RoushSuspension & Hawk HPS Pads Installed Today.-130.jpg   RoushSuspension & Hawk HPS Pads Installed Today.-129.jpg   RoushSuspension & Hawk HPS Pads Installed Today.-131.jpg  
Old 12/30/06, 03:18 PM
Cobra Member

*IMPORTANT UPDATE*

I had an appointment this morning to get my front end aligned and when I arrived at Midas the rear brake pads were smoking and hotter than heck. They put the car up and pulled the wheels and the mechanic who installed the pads yesterday (different shop) didn't clock the pads to the piston and the ebrake was hanging up. I almost ruined the rotors, pads, and calibers!
When I picked the car up yesterday I drove it straight home and didn't really put any miles on it but as mentioned in an earlier post I thought it smelled really hot. They resurfaced the pads and thought I might look into new rotors because mine are scored. I got the car aligned and had a $10 off coupon and the total was $59.95. They didn't charge me a dime to do the brake work. WOW! Midas

Now for the pictures. It handles much better and I did get into a few twisties today. Might look into the sway bars down the road.
Might consider the steeda lower ball joint mod next(?) to get the front roll center back up where it needs to be. That will improve roll effect buy reducing the roll moment. Lowering the front lowered the front roll center. But you are not buying any more goodies, are you?
Old 12/30/06, 04:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by RadBOSS
Might consider the steeda lower ball joint mod next(?) to get the front roll center back up where it needs to be. That will improve roll effect buy reducing the roll moment. Lowering the front lowered the front roll center. But you are not buying any more goodies, are you?

How difficult is this to install? Does it need to be pressed out?

Jason
Old 12/30/06, 04:47 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
How difficult is this to install? Does it need to be pressed out?

Jason
I can't answer that with absolute certainty. Have not decided to lower my car yet. Looking at the photo, looks to be a press in piece and a snap ring to keep it in place.

http://www.steeda.com/products/x5_balljoint.php

Paul
Old 12/30/06, 04:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by RadBOSS
I can't answer that with absolute certainty. Have not decided to lower my car yet. Looking at the photo, looks to be a press in piece.

Paul
Thanks.....I am looking to lower my car and these are a must IMO. They look like they need to be pressed in, but I figured I'd ask.
Old 12/30/06, 04:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
Thanks.....I am looking to lower my car and these are a must IMO. They look like they need to be pressed in, but I figured I'd ask.
I agree its a must have to complete the job. I just PM'ed Galaxie to see if he can post that part of the manual in the Work Instruction section.

Steeda have a alternative mod to raise the roll center, but it involves some welding. Instead of lowering the ball joint, they raise the chassis pivot for the control arm.
Old 12/30/06, 05:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

I would like to see that as well. Why even bother that I'm not going to do any more mods. It's hopeless.
Old 12/30/06, 10:46 PM
Cobra Member

Its a sickness, itsn't it ...
Old 12/31/06, 06:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rich.. Your car looks great. I really like the big rubber on the rear.
Scott
Old 12/31/06, 01:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks Scott but the tires are the same on all 4 corners. 255/50-17 Nitto.
Old 12/31/06, 01:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks Scott but the tires are the same on all 4 corners. 255/50-17 Nitto.
REALLY??? The pictures look kinda like you went the "old school" way of the rear. They really look bigger than the fronts. Anyway... you have a great looking pony.
Scott