GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Roush supercharger, experience with it?

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/08, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roush supercharger, experience with it?

I was wondering if any of you have the Roush supercharger, and what you thought of it. I am ordering an 08 GT convertable with the supercharger and off road Roush exhaust installed. Should be a beast. Reliable? Sound? Just fishing for any info from people who own a setup like this.
Old 2/18/08, 11:14 AM
V6 Member

On my 06 GT which I picked up in Feb 06, I had the Roush supercharger installed in about November 06. I installed the Roush pulley upgrade/retune in about June 07 which IMO made a major improvement to driveability of the car. I went with the Roush based on the warranty. I am extremely pleased with it. It has been 100 percent reliable and I have had good experiences with 2 Roush dealers. I suppose you can get higher HP on the dyno with other setups, but I like the Roush because I plan to keep the car for a long time and I know my engine will last. Also, the tires seem to break loose without even stomping on the gas very much, so I am not sure what you could do on the street with a lot more HP. On the freeway, the thing seems to go from cruising speed to over 120 in a few seconds, and there seems to be plenty more there. Maybe it's just me being overconservative, but I don't think I would go with one of the bigger superchargers unless I had the forged internals, trans/clutch upgrade, etc., that are needed.
Old 2/18/08, 11:15 AM
Cobra Member

Decent supercharger, VERY high price for performance added.

Pretty much at its limits power wise, as you get it. You are not going to be able to put down numbers like any Whipple, KB, Procharger etc.

Great Sound, good for someone who has money and wants a reliable car still under warranty that they want to install it and leave it with no tinkering.
Old 2/18/08, 11:41 AM

The warranty was indeed important to me. I actually just watched a video of Top Gear, a comparison between the Shelby GT-500 and a Roush stage 3, the sound is incredible. I do not plan to do anything crazy, I just like knowing I will have a classy looking summer car with some get up and go! Roush claims 445 hp with just the supercharger, I wonder, will the Roush exhaust add a few hp?

Thanks
Old 2/18/08, 12:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes,

The Roush "off-road" mufflers will add a bit in HP. They also give a more aggressive tone.
Old 2/18/08, 01:30 PM

I actually just purchased an 08 gt vert about a month ago (the car is in storage currenlty ) with the Roush supercharger installed and I'm currently looking at what I want to do with my exhaust system to try and add a few more horse's. I'm really looking forward to driving the car once the weather changes. I'm currently thinking about an few body changes and a suspension change.
Old 2/18/08, 01:37 PM

Ya, it is a bummer living in the northeast. But, by the time my car gets here it will be mid-april and the weather will be clearing. My local dealerships are awful, could not get me any type of Shelby, wanted 2k more for the same convertable GT as a dealer in NH. So, have to drive from VT to pick it up, but oh well.
Old 2/18/08, 01:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
For what it sounds like you plan to do with your car the Roush is an excellent choice. I have one with the pulley upgrade (now standard) and I couldn't be happier. I don't plan on doing any crazy racing with but rather the occasional trip to the drag strip and road course. It has plenty of power, more then I "need". Of course more would be nice.

Just some numbers I have seen. 445 HP is at the crank so you will put down around 375 to 380 at the wheels. That's what mine came in on the Dyno in 95 degree heat and 91% humidity. For drag racing, A guy I know down here has a Stage 2 Roush (automatic) with some suspension work done and he runs low 12's on the 1/4 mile on drag radials. If you want to get a little racey you can slap a Steeda 90mm CAI on it and have the car custom tuned and get somewhere around 420 maybe 430 RWHP. That's more then 500 at the crank but tuning it will void the warranty.

Pros:
Warranty
Great fun factor for an everyday driver
Good power for occasional racing (drag/road couse)
Sounds great

Cons:
Limited on ability to add a lot of power
Cost (you are basically paying a little extra for piece of mind.

Here are a couple of videos of mine.

From inside the car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkXJaFf28H0

Dyno pull
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj2rknO8HMk

And a drive by (Mine is the blue car)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AINQmU7l2U
Old 2/18/08, 02:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by teamoldmill
The warranty was indeed important to me. I actually just watched a video of Top Gear, a comparison between the Shelby GT-500 and a Roush stage 3, the sound is incredible. I do not plan to do anything crazy, I just like knowing I will have a classy looking summer car with some get up and go! Roush claims 445 hp with just the supercharger, I wonder, will the Roush exhaust add a few hp?

Thanks
Roush has different HP numbers for there Roushcharger depending on the page you are looking at. The first Roushchager was +115hp then they came out with a +15hp upgrade pulley for a total of +130hp. Now they say its +145hp but it has the same pulley as there +15 upgrade pulley. So how can it be +145hp when its the +115 M90 superchager with the +15hp pulley. Looks like +130hp to me (at best). Also they stopped including a K&N filter with the Roushchager and there "tune" is at 10:1 Air/Fuel ratio. I dont know if they have a "Off Road Exhaust" tune for the Roushchager. Roush doesnt have a cold air kit at all so it uses the Ford stock air box.

If I knew that I know now when I bought the car I wouldn't have gone with the Roush, I would have gotten the FRRP 500hp kit. Yeah "no warranty" but thats only if the FRPP supercharger was the cause other wise Ford can't void the warranty. But if warranty if a requirement for you then Roush is your only choice.
Old 2/18/08, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you're absolutely obsessed with having a warranty, yeah sure get it. Just know it's probably the worst blower kit made for these cars, and also one of the most expensive.
Old 2/18/08, 03:13 PM

Fantastic video, cars both sound excellent. So what other fairly cheap mods can be done to a Mustang with the Roush SC? Will the stock transmission start having issues with all the extra power? Sorry if I sound like a newbie, had Mustangs my whole life but am not very mechanically inclined.
Old 2/18/08, 03:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
You can get a Saleen blower and maintain the powertrain warranty, and I think everyone will agree that the Saleen is a better all-around blower.
Old 2/18/08, 03:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
I seen on hotrodtv this week end they added a roush s/c and gained just under 100hp. Then they added the roush mufflers and got another 11hp out of it.
I am not sure if the show was from last year or not.
Old 2/18/08, 04:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
You can get a Saleen blower and maintain the powertrain warranty, and I think everyone will agree that the Saleen is a better all-around blower.
Is that something new Tom? I know Ford recently put a package together that maintains the warranty with their FRPP/Whipple but never heard of the Saleen maintaining it.

Fantastic video, cars both sound excellent. So what other fairly cheap mods can be done to a Mustang with the Roush SC? Will the stock transmission start having issues with all the extra power? Sorry if I sound like a newbie, had Mustangs my whole life but am not very mechanically inclined.
Basically any mod I suppose. I haven't done anything else to mine (engine wise but I know others have. I am assuming for everyday use everything "should" last. Roush claims the blower is designed to last the life of the car without shortening the life of the powertrain. The one component I would say is suspect to that statement is the clutch but I think the trans itself should be fine.

To get some detailed answers check out fnsweet.com and go on their forums. All Roush's over there so you should get a lot of detailed info on what you can do with it if you are sold on the Roush unit. If Tom is correct about the Saleen blower I would check into that as well. It's not as loud as the Roush (the red car in my vid has a Saleen) but it is a more efficient design and can be tuned for a lot morw power if you want down the road.
Old 2/18/08, 05:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Woah thats news to me! Very cool.
Old 2/18/08, 07:24 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
If you are in NH, I have wrenches and manuals etc.
If you need any help or advice (or just another motorhead to talk to) PM me.
Old 2/19/08, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Saleen one is the one I plan to buy. I like the nice clean look and the ability to increase HP if you want. I just want to add a few HP, nothing crazy and I don't want to hurt the motor. The price seems good and I love that twin screw howl!
Old 2/20/08, 04:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GPStang06
Is that something new Tom? I know Ford recently put a package together that maintains the warranty with their FRPP/Whipple but never heard of the Saleen maintaining it.
IF you get it installed by a licensed saleen installer you keep your warranty in the way that saleen takes over and will cover you. And yes the saleen is a far superior blower than the roush and you can get way more power out of it.
Old 2/20/08, 07:57 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would take a saleen before a roushcharger
Old 2/20/08, 10:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Speaking of Roush, what do you think a used one is worth? I know a guy who's changing to a twin-screw (he's currently building up the motor) and he's selling the old unit. His car is an '07 and he has about 6000 miles on the supercharger. I offered him $3500 for the complete setup including the smaller pulley which he bought. Sound reasonable?

I realize the Kenne Bell and Whipple are better but I have no plans on going to forged internals, so this seems to be a good solution for the money.

Quick Reply: Roush supercharger, experience with it?