GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Roush rear lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/07, 10:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Roush rear lowering springs?

Anyone here have these installed or know more abut them? I want to lower my back end only and these supposedly lower the back 1 inch... Which is exactly what I am looking for, to level out the car... These are what I am looking at: http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product/401295

Anyone with any opinions or experience with these?
Old 5/10/07, 06:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered those springs from stage 3 as well. fast shipping and once installed it really leveled the car. I was looking for a sudtle drop so these did the trick. I'm sure you will be happy with the results.
Old 5/10/07, 06:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the first mods I did. It will level the car off nicely. Even my non-mechanical hands were able to do the install myself. Do a search on spring install and you'll find a good write up or two on the subject.

One thing I have noticed is that there is a difference in handling. The backend of the car is now more stiff than the front, so you can feel a difference in how the car hugs the road when cornering. The front end will feel looser and like it's not gripping as well as the back if you're going hard into a turn. I'll be looking at new struts/shocks next year to hopefully equalize this out.

-danny
Old 5/10/07, 09:32 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by superman112
I ordered those springs from stage 3 as well. fast shipping and once installed it really leveled the car. I was looking for a sudtle drop so these did the trick. I'm sure you will be happy with the results.
That's what I was hoping to hear!

I had my back end lowered in my '05 V-6, but I cut the springs in order to get it lowered and I liked the stance... With the Vert, I am not comfortable with doing that, so I wanted to get springs that would be that same 1" drop, these seem to be exactly what I am looking for... Luckily, since I have done this before, I will know what I am doing this time!

Thanks guys!
Old 5/10/07, 10:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Good luck and post some pic's when your done.
Old 5/10/07, 12:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

I did it and wish I'd done the fronts, too. The rear is noticable lower than the front and looks silly.
Old 5/10/07, 09:02 PM
Cobra Member

See, that's what I am trying to avoid... Hmmm... I don't want to lower the front, I like the stance in front, I just want the rears to match... I was thinking of the Ultralites too, but saw some pics where they rest slightly lower than the front... I was hoping the Roush ones wouldn't have that problem...

Anyone else? Pics?
Old 5/10/07, 09:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Phorty
I did it and wish I'd done the fronts, too. The rear is noticable lower than the front and looks silly.
This is the first time I've such a statement from a Roush rear only lowered owner.

Here's a pic of mine with the rear only, a couple months/changes ago.
Attached Thumbnails Roush rear lowering springs?-03-07022.jpg  
Old 5/10/07, 10:02 PM
Cobra Member

Looks good! I think I may just order them and try it out then...
Old 5/10/07, 10:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Iceknyght
See, that's what I am trying to avoid... Hmmm... I don't want to lower the front, I like the stance in front, I just want the rears to match... I was thinking of the Ultralites too, but saw some pics where they rest slightly lower than the front... I was hoping the Roush ones wouldn't have that problem...

Anyone else? Pics?
You'll be happy with it.

And 13 months later.

Old 5/10/07, 10:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Jay,
The guys at Stage 3 are great guys to deal with. Bill and Ethan.................go for it........
OR you could just take the back springs out and cut ONE coil off (= 1inch)drop and reinstall them upside down...same results without the firmness issues
Old 5/10/07, 10:29 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 07 HOSS Mustang
Jay,
The guys at Stage 3 are great guys to deal with. Bill and Ethan.................go for it........
OR you could just take the back springs out and cut ONE coil off (= 1inch)drop and reinstall them upside down...same results without the firmness issues
That's what I did with my '05... It worked great, but I just don't feel comfortable doing that with a Vert... Although it's probably fine, I'd rather get actual springs...

Stoenr, that's perfect! That's the stance I want!
Old 5/11/07, 06:46 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 07 HOSS Mustang
Jay,
Why would you install them upside down after cutting? I got a wizzer tool and cut off wheel waiting
Old 5/11/07, 07:11 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here are my ultralites rear only(they are supposed to be mildest dropping springs)--top up pic

Notice how the front is slightly higher (1/4th of an inch or so.)
After installing fronts,it looks much better IMO--top down pic
Attached Thumbnails Roush rear lowering springs?-cimg0842.jpg   Roush rear lowering springs?-cimg1407.jpg  
Old 5/11/07, 03:31 PM
V6 Member

Drive shaft?

When these springs are used to you have to get the adjustable UCA to set the pinion angle??
Old 5/11/07, 04:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I just installed the Steeda rears last weekend...will post pics on Saturday AM. I have a GT 'Vert and the back dropped about 1 3/4inchs. Very nice mod, gives the car a much more level stance. Back end does seem to stick better, but also installed 285/40/17, so that has something to do with it as well. Front lifted about 1/2inch, which gives better clearence with the CDC aggressive chin spoiler.
Old 5/11/07, 06:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the Roush rears only for about a year and it leveled the car out great. I then decided to just go ahead and buy the front springs, struts and shocks. I have been very happy with the Roush stuff.

Here's an old link~

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...h+rear+springs
Old 5/11/07, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

TBone 69..
When you cut the coil it no longer has a flat edge to sit on the spring pad on the diff. It only would sit on the tip of the coil making it kinda unsafe if it moved off or out . If you put it in upside down the flat end from the top is now setting on the bottom pad where it wont move. Top cut end now on top is inside of a recessed well to encase the coil. Works fine...
Later,
Larry (07 HOSS)
Old 5/11/07, 08:57 PM
Cobra Member

Yep, that's exactly what I did... Had it that way for about a year and it worked great!

Well, I decided to go for it and get the Roush Rear Springs, so I'll give 'em a try! Thanks everyone!
Old 5/28/07, 12:01 AM
Cobra Member

I finally was able to get this mod done, but I seem to have a problem... The back now sits lower than the front rather than leveled out... Would installing them the wrong way have this type of an effect? I have them with the fatter end towards the axle (down) and the thinner end towards the frame (up)... I really don't want to get the front springs if I don't have to, but if this is what I am stuck with on the rears, then I will go ahead and get them, cause it sits way too low in the back now...

Any suggestions?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Roush rear lowering springs?