The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/)
-   -   Rotorpros Cross-Drilled/Gas Slotted rotors install (w/pics) (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/rotorpros-cross-drilled-gas-slotted-rotors-install-w-pics-453294/)

tom281 6/21/07 08:07 PM

Bummer Scott.... :banghead:

mco05gt 6/21/07 08:54 PM

Thanks for the heads up Scott. Mine are going to be here tomorrow so I will look first thing. Lets hope I did not get two Passenger side fronts!!

mco05gt 6/23/07 12:57 PM

Got mine on Friday and looks like I got all the right parts. Mine were packed in two boxes, one left front and rear in one box and one right front and rear in another. I will post pics when installed. Im waiting on my SS brake lines from CR so I can install and paint everything at once.

70MACH1OWNER 6/23/07 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by mco05gt (Post 946927)
Got mine on Friday and looks like I got all the right parts. Mine were packed in two boxes, one left front and rear in one box and one right front and rear in another. I will post pics when installed. Im waiting on my SS brake lines from CR so I can install and paint everything at once.

Good for you! :metal: I assembled the fronts last night using the passenger stock rotor. Turned the car around in the garage this afternoon to work on painting the rears calipers. I am kinda like a 3 legged dog here. Rich sent me another email yesterday and told me that he can't ship my passenger front rotor until Wed. The earliest I would see it would be next Friday. :shame:

I can't drive the car since I am installing new pads with my rotors. Missing some pretty good verting days this week.:shame:
Scott

mco05gt 6/23/07 03:52 PM

How's the painting going? Easy? I don't want to do mine and till I get my brake lines done. Not sure how the paint will hold up to the brake fluid? Ask Rich to ship it over night. Their mess up.

70MACH1OWNER 6/23/07 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by mco05gt (Post 947013)
How's the painting going? Easy? I don't want to do mine and till I get my brake lines done. Not sure how the paint will hold up to the brake fluid? Ask Rich to ship it over night. Their mess up.

The painting is now done.:woohoo: I have to hand it to the guys that paint thier calipers while they have them bolted in place with the pads and spring clips in your way. Since I am replacing my pads at the same time I just removed the calipers, removed the stock pads, and disassembled the calipers to clean and paint them. I am sure I am able to get paint in alot of places that others could not but it is still a pain. Do yourself a favor and clean your calipers at night and paint them the next morning if you can when it is cooler. The G2 kit says paint between 56 and 75 degrees or the drying is accelerated. They are correct. At these temps.( mid 80's) you have about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. to get the work done not the 4 to 6 they claim. I split my paint and hardener so I only had to do 2 wheels at a time. Made it alot easier. Rich is sending by new rotor priority which will take 2 days not one. He has been very easy to deal with so I will cut him a break. I love the look of these rotors. Well worth the bucks IMO!
Scott:metal:

JonCo 6/23/07 08:00 PM

Yeah after seeing the silver paint I'd prolly save myself the money for now. Im still on the fence about this mod since the price went up until they get more standard rear rotors. Not sure if I wanna wait and either do the gt500 rear spoiler or the mgw shifter. Tsk tsk... If only money grew on trees...

70MACH1OWNER 6/24/07 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by JonCo (Post 947151)
Yeah after seeing the silver paint I'd prolly save myself the money for now. Im still on the fence about this mod since the price went up until they get more standard rear rotors. Not sure if I wanna wait and either do the gt500 rear spoiler or the mgw shifter. Tsk tsk... If only money grew on trees...

Rich tell me he will get he next shipment of standard rotors next Wed, FWIW.
Scott

70MACH1OWNER 6/24/07 12:31 PM

Okay fellows...I am looking for a little more assistance with this rotor and new brake pad install. The problem I am having is getting the rear caliper pistons to collapse any at all from where they were when I removed the stock pads and rotors. I know someone will ask this question. Yes... I have the parking brake "OFF" ! I have tried a regular calipers piston expansion tool and now have a 6" "C" clamp on them and they would move any at all. I need about 1/8" more to get the calipers over the new rotors. Any tricks here I am missing??? When I did the front the pistons open quite easily but these rears won't move.
Scott :dunno:

mco05gt 6/24/07 12:34 PM

I believe they rotate in, they dont just press in like the fronts. Thats how my 99 gt was.

70MACH1OWNER 6/24/07 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by mco05gt (Post 947598)
I believe they rotate in, they dont just press in like the fronts. Thats how my 99 gt was.

Please explain "rotate in" a little better please. Do you mean like turn them clockwise or counterclockwise or something??
Scott:dunno:

Martimus 6/24/07 02:28 PM

When we installed my cars rear rotors Dave (Fazm) used a caliper tool that you cranked. He said it was a special tool specific for this type of brake caliper... It came in a kit that sort of looked like this:

http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/im...03/AP-7860.jpg

70MACH1OWNER 6/24/07 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Martimus (Post 947680)
When we installed my cars rear rotors Dave (Fazm) used a caliper tool that you cranked. He said it was a special tool specific for this type of brake caliper... It came in a kit that sort of looked like this:

http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/im...03/AP-7860.jpg

Thanks Martimus!! There is definitely something "specfic" about these rear calipers and the way you compress the piston. I have not figured it out yet and I have stopped trying for the day until I gain a little more knowledge about this. I am not looking to screw something up. Maybe I need to stop at my local Autozone to see if they have some special tool !
Scott

mco05gt 6/24/07 02:45 PM

Yes I'm sorry, they screw in clockwise I believe. AutoZone has the tools to do it.

JonCo 6/24/07 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER (Post 947348)
Rich tell me he will get he next shipment of standard rotors next Wed, FWIW.
Scott

o0o0oh... Thank you Scott. I'll deff look into that. Thanks again!

70MACH1OWNER 6/25/07 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by mco05gt (Post 947689)
Yes I'm sorry, they screw in clockwise I believe. AutoZone has the tools to do it.

Mco05gt,
You were absolutely correct. The rear calipers turn clockwise with the special tools I got at Autozone tonight. I have done some searching on how to adjust the rear brakes and have come up with a few hits. It appears they are self adjusting and you just pull up on the parking brake handle a number of times and that is it. If anyone has any additional info please jump in.
Thanks Scott

mco05gt 6/25/07 04:05 PM

Scott, I'm glad it worked out for you. I will be doing mine on Wed or Thur. I am trying to decide if I should try to install my brake lines myself? Not sure how to bleed brakes with abs?? And what fluid I should use?
Any input from the masses would be great.

David

70MACH1OWNER 6/25/07 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by mco05gt (Post 948389)
Scott, I'm glad it worked out for you. I will be doing mine on Wed or Thur. I am trying to decide if I should try to install my brake lines myself? Not sure how to bleed brakes with abs?? And what fluid I should use?
Any input from the masses would be great.

David

Well...you need a friend to help you bleed the brakes properly. The ABS is no big deal. You always start the farthest from the master cylinder in the bleeding order. Usually Pass. rear, than Drv. rear. than Pass.front and finally Drv. front. You want to use Dot 3 fluid. If you have never done it you might want to take it to someone that has. Your call. It is really not a big deal if you follow the basics. Do some searching. It is a bit messy if you don't use a bleed bottle.
Scott :nice:

GRAYPNY 6/25/07 04:27 PM

Make sure that you "clock" the rear rotors or you will burn up your pads and disks. I almost did- :shame:

mco05gt 6/25/07 04:45 PM

(clock)??