GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Rotor Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 7/12/11, 07:57 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotor Recommendations?

Well, I bought my Stang with 17k in mint condition, and now 2 years and 40k more miles, and it's time for new rotors. They're warped: they give a steering wheel shimmy when braking from highway speed, noise and vibration too. I don't want to do an all out brake replacement or anything, just change out the bad rotors for some new ones. I had thought about going with Ford OEM ones again, but I am wondering if there is anything better against warping? Any advice?

-Joel
Old 7/12/11, 08:05 AM
Cobra Member

If the rotor thickness is a ways above the minimum (need a caliper to measure, and I believe it's 17mm, is engraved on the circumference of the rotor) then it may be possible to 'turn' the rotor, remove any high spots or pad deposition that may be causing the shimmy.

Otherwise, you need new rotors, and you should do pads at the same time -- ie 'an all out brake replacement'. Best to not use old pads on new rotors. New pads, old rotors is generally okay, though.

If you can't do it yourself (needs a caliper compressing tool rented or bought from local autostore), just go to a good brake shop. The Ford OEM rotors are fine, or you can get equivalent ones at NAPA and the like. You can also go to more expensive ones from Centric/Powerslot/Cryo whatever like at stranoparts.com. Increases the price, no guarantee they won't 'warp' again.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Old 7/12/11, 08:15 AM
GT Member

I thought about having then turned, but in my experience removing material just accelerates the problem. Might be worth a check though. I don't need new pads, they actually look really good. I meant an all out brake replacement as in new larger rotors and calipers like a gt500 or baer kit... not something I want to do right now. I've done more than my fair share of brake jobs, no worry there, just want to find a good disc. Sounds like back to OEM is the way to go, and do it again in another 2 years!
Old 7/12/11, 08:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

http://www.rotorpros.net/ This is where I have bought my replacements in the past, and plan to use again. Mention TMS and see what they can do for you.
Old 7/18/11, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I picked up some centric rotors from amazon for a good price and akebono ceramics. They have been good. The rotors have black hats they stay decent looking instead of rusty and the pads have very minimal dust (similar to OEM). The rotors are the blanks they use on the powerslot and I think rotorpros uses them also.
Old 7/18/11, 09:39 PM
Cobra Member

I got the same centric ones on Amazon, good price and free shipping (well, with Prime).
They are the same company as powerslot, and owned by StopTech (or vice versa).
Very good quality.

Have Akebono on our Audi S4, next to no dust! Good choices!
Old 7/19/11, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think Centric is the overall company and they purchased StopTech a while back. http://www.centricparts.com/index.ph...d=46&Itemid=59
The akebono are great. A little more pricey than OEM but seem worth it.

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
I got the same centric ones on Amazon, good price and free shipping (well, with Prime).
They are the same company as powerslot, and owned by StopTech (or vice versa).
Very good quality.

Have Akebono on our Audi S4, next to no dust! Good choices!

Last edited by randy_tho; 7/19/11 at 04:58 PM.
Old 7/23/11, 01:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have got the Rotorpros slotted and cross drilled rotors and have been very happy with them......and they look awesome too. Just check out TacoBill's how to get some good pics of them.