GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Rotational Rubbing Noise - NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/08, 05:50 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotational Rubbing Noise - NEED HELP

Ok, this has been going on for over a month now. I had the Eibach Pro-Kit put on and only a few days later did I start hearing this noise. Basically, the main 5 features are the following:

1. it is a rubbing noise coming from the back wheels.
2. it only happens when coasting/decelerating from under 40mph to standstill.
3. it is rotational, meaning the rubbing sound spaces out as my speed comes down.
4. I can "feel" the rubbing and the rotation in my foot as I am braking.
5. The longer I drive, the warmer the car, the louder it gets. When cold, I can barely hear it.

So what gives here? The first diagnostic I got after I took it to the dealership this morning what that it was a "tire issue". But I barely have 10K miles on the car. I never took it to the track. My daily commute is a straight line. The tire thing just doesn't sound right. Plus the noise immediately came out after the spring install.

If anyone had the same issue I would REALLY appreciate any feedback/help because the whole thing is driving me INSANE right now . Thanks!
Old 1/19/08, 05:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could it be a problem with the pinion angle on the rear end gear?
Old 1/19/08, 09:13 PM
Cobra Member

+ that

Also;

All the wheel lugs are tight?
Old 1/19/08, 09:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Few things:

1.) When you change your rear springs you have to manipulate the E brake clips and the cables. You could simply have an E brake cable routed or reconnected incorrectly.

This would give you a dragging of the rear disc (speed sensitive) which would increase surface temperature and expansion (more noticeable after more driving) and explain everything (easy fix).

2.) You do indeed have a bad tire (look at all the weight on the wheel) as the tires are terrible. Having had a tire removed and then put back on, the entire weight group was also still required, so the rims are good, tires bad.

Bad tire would be more noticeable in the steering wheel and less in the brake pedal.

3.) You have something stuck in one of your brake pads. Anything that gets tossed up and embedded into the pads is going to continually degrade the rotor.

It never hurst to pull a wheel and caliper to inspect a rotor and pad. A little peace of mind for 10 minutes effort.

Outside of that, look for anything crazy. Plastic or something that got attached by driving over it. You wouldn't believe how much hassle a Walmart bag is when it gets sucked into a rotating assembly and melts!

Good Luck.