GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Review: Vortech Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/06, 08:51 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Without question, the most significant modification to TheMustangSource.com's Project Source Horse 2006 Mustang GT Convertible is the Vortech supercharger.

The initial plan for the web site's first project car didn't include a supercharger. I had planned to do some mild performance modifications like cold air intake, underdrive pulleys, and exhaust. That is, until the email came from Vortech expressing their interest in the project.

To say that I was hesitant at first is an understatement. After all, my last car, a 2001 Mustang GT Convertible, made 224 rwhp. A jump to 440+ rwhp is no small adjustment. I knew that occasionally I'd have to drive the car in the rain, and I didn't want to send my new beauty careeng into a telephone pole.

After talking with my wife and owners of supercharged Mustangs, I decided to take the plunge and requested Vortech’s Satin Finish High Output Supercharger with Air-to-Water Intercooler.

While Vortech’s polished blower is a striking addition to an engine bay, I went with the satin blower finish to match all of the car’s brushed aluminum and silver-finished billet engine bay and interior dress-up pieces. And living in the heat and humidity of Alabama summers, I decided to add the intercooler for added engine safety and increased power.

I didn’t have any hand in the installation of the supercharger. I’ll let SVP Unlimited’s Paul Becker (svopaul on these boards) tell you about the installation and BamaChip’s Doug Studdard (Doug904) tell you about tuning it.

I can, however, tell you how it feels behind the wheel.

Driving a Vortech supercharged Mustang is an absolute breeze and a load of fun. I was concerned about making too much power in the lower RPM range and not having control of the vehicle, especially on wet roads. This is not the case. The blower starts making significant boost around 2500 RPMs, so normal acceleration isn't changed. I drove Project Source Horse to work this morning in a steady rain and had no problems whatsoever. Even my wife, who was very skeptical of having a supercharged car, agrees that day-to-day driving hasn't changed.

At startup, the whir of the blower is faint. At idle, you can barely tell it's there. Apply the throttle, and the JBA titanium ceramic-coated shorty headers and Magnaflow cat-back exhaust come to life with a vintage muscle car rumble. The whine of the supercharger increases, but it's very understated.

Accelerating steadily, the Auto Meter boost gauge (mounted in MRT's dash pod) shows increased boost at 2500 RPMs and the pony begs to sprint. Give it a little gas, and she'll place you firmly against your seat back. You're in complete control, but there's no doubt that your Mustang has ample power.

Cruising the Interstates is a blast. The 2005+ Mustang Convertible is a much more refined automobile than its ragtop predecessor, and the added power doesn't change its well-mannered handling and ride comfort characteristics. Find an open stretch or need to make a pass and the pony is ready to run, accelerating smoothly and effortlessly at your command.

Our first attempt at dyno testing the car at Walker Dyno in Trussville, Alabama was a bust due to a power surge the night before. We’ll make our second attempt on January 23 and will post the results here.

On the web:
Project Source Horse's stock engine bay.

Project Source Horse's engine bay with VortechSuperchargers.com supercharger, GranatelliMotorsports.com throttle body, MidwestAutoGear.com intake plenum cover, UPRProducts.com billet engine cap covers and fuse box cover and Steeda.com radiator cover.

Project Source Horse's Vortech supercharger and Midwest Auto Gear intake plenum cover with ClevParts.com pony.

The AutoMeter.com gauges reside in MRT-Direct.com's dash pod and a custom IP unit fabricated by SVPU.com.

Bob Rosser of Hand-Engravers.com sandblasted the web site's logo onto the fuse box and radiator covers.

The Midwest Auto Gear intake plenum cover adorned with "POWERED BY FORD" metallic decals and a 2004 Mustang grille pony from ClevParts.com hides what is otherwise an unattractive engine presentation.

A small Vortech decal, placed to match the lines of the front fender, hints at the power of this Mustang.
Old 1/17/06, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fantastic write-up Brad! You have many of the same thoughts/concerns I have and your insight is very refreshing and informative. This project and some others (169stang) have been exciting to follow. Good luck and have fun with your new toy!
Old 1/17/06, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats, Brad. Looks good!! And with Doug doing the tuning, I have no doubt your pony is performing at it's optimal level!!

Now... when do we get to see the timeslips! haha
Old 1/17/06, 12:03 PM
GT Member

Man, that looks great! :worship: I'm jealous!
Old 1/17/06, 12:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

When will we see this in a magazine feature?
Old 1/17/06, 12:58 PM

It was in the December issue of the Mustang Club of America's Mustang Times magazine, and the review you just read will be submitted for their next issue. Southern Rodder and its sister publications Northern Rodder and Canadian Rodder are documenting the build, and Mustang Enthusiast will probably put it on the cover later in the spring/summer.
Old 1/17/06, 01:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Cool - I subscribe to Must. Enth. so I'll look forward to the write up.

Good job Brad - makes me want to divert all my nickels and dimes to a Vortech! Thats alot of nickels and dimes tho! LOL.
Old 1/17/06, 03:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Very Cool and Informative Review of the Vortech product. I think you’ll find you like the Vortech the more you drive it. More Power…is never enough.
Old 1/17/06, 03:40 PM
Cobra R Member

I can't wait to see the write up!!

It looks better day after day! Are you planning on taking it to the World of Wheels this year?

It would be great to see it there!

Old 1/17/06, 05:51 PM
Cobra Member

looks great Brad...The more you drive with the vortech the more you wonder why you ever did without it...Love mine
Old 1/17/06, 05:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by subzero05@January 17, 2006, 7:54 PM
looks great Brad...The more you drive with the vortech the more you wonder why you ever did without it...Love mine
EDIT: fixed
Old 1/17/06, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by MilStang@January 17, 2006, 4:43 PM
I can't wait to see the write up!!

It looks better day after day! Are you planning on taking it to the World of Wheels this year?

It would be great to see it there!

Yep, it'll be there.
Old 1/17/06, 07:04 PM

Nice looking engine bay, not too much stuff. I really dislike it when people add too many non-functional things to the engine compartment or the car for that matter. I really like the fuse box cover, might just have to get one of those myself. I would love to see that SourceHorse in action!
Old 1/17/06, 07:13 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the write-up. The main thing I am intrested in following the build-up is driver impressions. Looking at a catalog of installed components (like typical magazine write ups) doesn't do me any good -- I want to know how the parts change the car and whether or not I should consider it for my ride.

To further expand on this point, are you saying you don't feel the extra power below 2500 rpm? Is there a "kick" when the boost comes on, or is it smooth, solid delivery? Is the power difference noticeable during 5/10's having-fun-around-town driving?

One thing I am debating one is whether or not I will actually use the power on the street. I will probably never take it to a track or strip and I don't want to be doing 90 as soon as I hit the gas as there are plenty of cops around here looking to meet their quotas.
Old 1/17/06, 07:27 PM

It does accelerate very smoothly, but you can definitely tell that the car has much more power at 2500 RPMs. Daily driving back and forth to work isn't changed.
Old 1/18/06, 06:54 AM
GTR Member

I love the wheels and decal, look nice, I'm still no fan of vortech, but under the hood all does look very nice. I really dont care for the two guages in between the vents though, they look out of place and hard to see from the drivers seat.
Old 1/18/06, 08:04 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fordracing200@January 18, 2006, 7:57 AM
I love the wheels and decal, look nice, I'm still no fan of vortech, but under the hood all does look very nice. I really dont care for the two guages in between the vents though, they look out of place and hard to see from the drivers seat.
When I do put a supercharger in mine, I want one guage in the same area where the Shelby GT500 has hers. Can our dashboards be retrofitted to a similar setup???
Old 1/18/06, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Route 66@January 18, 2006, 9:07 AM
When I do put a supercharger in mine, I want one guage in the same area where the Shelby GT500 has hers. Can our dashboards be retrofitted to a similar setup???
What gauge?

Old 1/18/06, 09:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Looks super, but my concern is it's oil supply is tapped into the engine's.

Is the pro charger better since It has it's own oil supply?

I am also not a fan with the gauges in the dash. Maybe add the two to the pillar?

BTW what are all the gauges you added?

I am looking at both the vortex and procharger if uncle sam is good to me.
Old 1/18/06, 10:36 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by traffic142@January 18, 2006, 9:03 AM
Looks super, but my concern is it's oil supply is tapped into the engine's.

Is the pro charger better since It has it's own oil supply?
The maintenance-free lubrication system uses engine oil that is pre-filtered and injected directly onto the drive gears. We chose this configuration as opposed to a "self-contained" set-up because engine oil provides faster warm-up, excellent reliability and superior cooling. The lubrication oil benefits from continuous filtration, being routinely changed along with the engine oil (instead of an additional maintenance action). This system also offers the best opportunity for thermally stable operation. Vortech firmly believes this is the best method to feed and care for a supercharger.

Quick Reply: Review: Vortech Supercharger