GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Regular Hurst vs Billet Hurst

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/08, 09:20 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Regular Hurst vs Billet Hurst

Is the Billet Hurst shifter worth the extra money over the regular Hurst?
Old 10/29/08, 07:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I'd say don't bother with hurst at all and get the best shifter on the market the MGW. BUT if you must have hurst I had the regular comp plus one and I can tell you it was a piece of crap. I haven't seen the billet one but anyone I've talked to that switched from the comp plus to the billet said it was a worthwhile improvement.
Old 10/29/08, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

wow, thats not a biased review. cause you dont like it, its a piece of crap?
Old 10/29/08, 09:39 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Lets see it started with a subjective question and he gave a subjective answer. If you don't like it, give your own answer.
Old 10/29/08, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

WELL lets see.....subjective is calling something crap? i think not, look up "subjective". he has never used a Billet hurst, yet calls all hurst crap? look a little closer.
Old 10/29/08, 09:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by VegaStang
Is the Billet Hurst shifter worth the extra money over the regular Hurst?
The throw is 40% less on both pieces. Billet is prettier, but you don't see it after it's installed.

I like my non-billet unit fine and it's certainly strong enough for my style of driving. I've never shifted the billet unit, so I can't tell you if billet is better, but, I wouldn't remove my "standard" Hurst for the billet piece either.
Old 10/29/08, 10:00 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Anthony k
WELL lets see.....subjective is calling something crap? i think not, look up "subjective". he has never used a Billet hurst, yet calls all hurst crap? look a little closer.
Look Anthony k, he asked a question on a forum and 2kanchoo gave him an answer. If you don't like it too bad. What do you work for Hurst or something? Grow up.
Old 10/29/08, 10:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Sorry I forget not everyone has seen mine or others threads where we go into depth about how it would bind horribly when powershifting at high rpm's, had no adjustability, and had very poor craftsmanship. I had pictures of how the shift handle didn't even begin to properly bolt up and would continually come loose and allow a good 3/4'' + wobble of the shift ****. If I knew what I know now I wouldn't have wasted my money. As far as I'm concerned crap doesn't even begin to describe it, especially when there are other shifters out there that are so much more superior in every facet. The mgw is the most adjustable of any shifter out there ( adjustable throw range anywhere from stock to about 40%. Also adjustable **** height AND angle) it is also the most over engineered, over built, shifter out there. I also forgot to mention that I've tried the pro 5.0 and steeda triax shifters out as well.

Last edited by 2kanchoo; 10/29/08 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10/29/08, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by WaltM
The throw is 40% less on both pieces. Billet is prettier, but you don't see it after it's installed.

I like my non-billet unit fine and it's certainly strong enough for my style of driving. I've never shifted the billet unit, so I can't tell you if billet is better, but, I wouldn't remove my "standard" Hurst for the billet piece either.
x2 here man.... i have my comp plus and felt the roush and steeda but i perfer the notchiness with the hurst..... i never felt the mgw and its probably a nice shifter but im perfectly happy with my hurst and dont see my self changing it out for anything else........ it also has a very nostalgic touch to it that really drew me toward the hurst...... hurst gets my vote for looks and performance
Old 10/29/08, 09:08 PM
V6 Member

I like mine, but have nothing to compare it to. Only thing that is bothersome is the vibration under power at times.
Old 10/29/08, 10:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i have the standard hurst and its badass.... no problems here. no reason to get the billet.

Hurst FTW. i have felt several other shifters and im glad i got the hurst... suits me just fine.
Old 10/29/08, 11:03 PM
Cobra Member

those that have used the billet said it was worth it. I personally like the adjustability of the MGW but like the hurst handle.
Old 10/31/08, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I am happy with my Hurst comp. I paid only $100 shipped for it. According to the seller, it had only 300 miles on it. He sold it because he was doing a man to auto swap. It was noisy at first, but dynomatting took care of the problem.
Old 10/31/08, 10:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have to ask if all (most) of the reported hurst issues are install related? I mean if it was such an inferior product wouldn't there be an overwhelming outcry of Shelby GT owners?

I have only heard of individuals that installed it themsleves having problems. Now maybe that's an engineering issue but I do find it curious.
Old 10/31/08, 10:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 2kanchoo
Personally I'd say don't bother with hurst at all and get the best shifter on the market the MGW. BUT if you must have hurst I had the regular comp plus one and I can tell you it was a piece of crap. I haven't seen the billet one but anyone I've talked to that switched from the comp plus to the billet said it was a worthwhile improvement.

+1 MGW, everything else is just a shifter

Jed
Old 11/1/08, 12:18 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
I have to ask if all (most) of the reported hurst issues are install related? I mean if it was such an inferior product wouldn't there be an overwhelming outcry of Shelby GT owners?

I have only heard of individuals that installed it themsleves having problems. Now maybe that's an engineering issue but I do find it curious.
My buddy and I installed it in about an hour without incident. That was 14 months ago and mine's been trouble free. But, I do remember a misprint in the instructions.

There was also a run of these shifters that had a bearing problem that Hurst addressed through warranty exchange and design changes.

Last edited by WaltM; 11/1/08 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11/1/08, 03:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Just a question. Any of you guys that have the comp plus and like it really bag the shlt out of it? I'm talking 6000-7000rpm powershifting. No lifting your gas pedal foot, slamming it into 2nd and 3rd as hard and fast as you possibly can while being just as quick with the clutch, type shifts. Cause honestly if you are getting away with it I am honestly happy for you. Aside from the shifter arm problem which I heard they fixed later, even tho it was so horrendous it shouldn't have even passed R&D, let alone engineering, let alone quality control. I probably wouldn't have gotten rid of it, if it wasn't nearly impossible 75% of the time (for me) to get it into gear when hammering on it.

But then again I would have missed out on all the adjustability so I guess it's for the best. I did keep my white hurst **** to use with my mgw tho.
Old 11/1/08, 09:19 AM
Post *****

Well I had the Hurst Comp bearing problem. Pulled it from the car got the MGW and also kept my Hurst shifter ****. I never gave my opinion above because I've never used the Hurst Billet. I do know that my Hurst Comp came to me defective and my MGW didn't. The Hurst vs. MGW arguement has been done before. I hear stories of people going from Hurst to MGW, but I've never heard of the MGW guy going to a Hurst. I don't know if that means anything.

Back to the original question, I don't know, so I'll leave it at that.
Old 11/1/08, 10:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2kanchoo
Just a question. Any of you guys that have the comp plus and like it really bag the shlt out of it? I'm talking 6000-7000rpm powershifting. No lifting your gas pedal foot, slamming it into 2nd and 3rd as hard and fast as you possibly can while being just as quick with the clutch, type shifts. Cause honestly if you are getting away with it I am honestly happy for you. Aside from the shifter arm problem which I heard they fixed later, even tho it was so horrendous it shouldn't have even passed R&D, let alone engineering, let alone quality control. I probably wouldn't have gotten rid of it, if it wasn't nearly impossible 75% of the time (for me) to get it into gear when hammering on it.

But then again I would have missed out on all the adjustability so I guess it's for the best. I did keep my white hurst **** to use with my mgw tho.
as you say about power shifting the hurst i have no problem with powershifting it at all at first when i got it it was a pain just driving in town but it broke in nicely, i raced my cousin with his camaro ss and beat him he was a 6 speed also it came down to who ever missed a gear i pulled 2nd gear and then banged 3rd he wound up missing 3rd as i had him by a fender..... its not the shifter its the shiftee
Old 11/1/08, 11:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

i bang the crap out of my comp and it works just fine for me.....

Quick Reply: Regular Hurst vs Billet Hurst