GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Recommendations on Bullitt intake purchase source and install

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/08, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixmejesus
My local dealer sold me one for $569.99

The programmer came within 2 days and flashed with no problem.

My hood liner is perfect and it looks like the Bullitt's and my 07 was made in 10/06!

The tune if perfect and I do see a big gain. My car runs as well a my buddy's GT with a CL and BAMA 93 tune and I can't feel or notice a difference.

The internet is full of BS and no longer a reliable source of true information.
The car feeling fast and being fast can be different. On two separate occasions at the 1/8 mile track I have used both bamachips 91 race and 91 tq tune. The 91 tq tune results in the faster times by .2 to .3 sec; however, the race tune "feels" faster because of the throttle response.
Old 11/2/08, 07:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think almost anything is going to feel much better than the stock setup. The lag time seems to have gotten worse over time. You almost have to plan for it and accelerate slightly earlier than expected to compensate. At first I just attributed it to the drive by wire design and figured the cable setup was more responsive. Now I have hope that even with DBW, I can have that quick throttle response once again.
Old 11/2/08, 07:47 PM
V6 Member

Well I drove a lot over the last two days with the ford racing tune, what a difference! THROTTLE VERY RESPONSIVE AND IT JUST PULLS A LOT HARDER WITH LITTLE FOOT EFFORT!!!!

I think Ford handicapped the standard GT to justify paying more money for the Shelbys. The power is there, it needs to be unleased by the tune. Most CAI's untill this new bullitt one were shabby and just extra sales along with the tuner. The Bullitt CAI really does seal out the hot air while allowing cold air to come from underneath the front of the hood. Truly the ultimate design.

I think I'll keep it this way until I decide to do Hot Rod Cams when the warranty expires, then I'll give Tillman a Buzz for a remote dyno tune here in las vegas. Seems like Tillman is more responsive to customers here as opposed to the other two.

Last edited by fixmejesus; 11/2/08 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11/2/08, 08:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Good to hear about getting rid of the lag and Chris at Tillman too. I will be calling him Monday to see what he has to say.
Old 11/2/08, 08:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I see you live in NorCal. If you buy the Bullitt intake and Ford proCal tool you will be emissions legal in California and have the C.A.R.B. information for smog.

Just something to consider.
Old 11/2/08, 08:17 PM
V6 Member

I used to live in Campbell CA, go with the FRPP, they will give you a certification sticker too. Then get the Tillman tune if you are not happy. Load the Frpp into the SCT tuner so you can go back to it when needed (service, smog check) and not throw a code with the Bullitt CAI using a stock tune.
Old 11/2/08, 08:49 PM
Bullitt Member

That was my original intent. If I get the Ford ProCal with the intake, I can always throw in the Bullitt tune when I go to the dealer instead of the stock tune which could conflict with the Bullitt CAI. The ideal would be to have both the Ford ProCal, and an aftermarket tuner with tunes. If I buy the parts absent the Ford ProCal, I am wondering if it is possible to buy just the Ford ProCal later? Maybe KC has an answer as to whether Ford will sell the ProCal with Bullitt tune separate.

Last edited by 07 GT/CS; 11/2/08 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11/2/08, 09:24 PM
V6 Member

KC does not sell the Ford Racing combo. He sells the oem pieces seperate with the dreaded silencers.
Also the ford racing logo is not painted, and the MAF screws are different.
Old 11/2/08, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

What are the silencers? Are his parts different than if I order mine through the dealer in Cali or pick one up from Ninosports?
Old 11/3/08, 08:25 AM
V6 Member

There are two ways to get the airbox and tube. One way is to order the OEM Bullitt parts through the regular Ford parts counter. The pieces are sold seperatly and the hose offered has the resonators, "silencers" that the Bullitt has. No Tune is offered or is possible and this setup is not carb certified unless you installed into a Bullitt that it was intended for. This is what KC is offering. With this setup you can order a tune from one of the vendors and if you have to reflash to stock, you will have to put the stock airbox and tube for warranty or smog work. It may be a bit cheaper if you go this route but sure might be a hassle.

Or you can order the Ford Racing Cai and Ford Racing tune combo. You cannot get these separately. You can order this through your ford dealer if they sell FRPP parts or Ninosports (where I got my FRPP GTA mufflers) or other vendors like Jeggs et. al. This setup is carb certified and a certification sticker is provided to display on the driver side strut tower. Also this is a 91 octane tune and a sicker is provided for your gas tank inlet door. The correct bolts for the maf sensor is included as the threads in the FRPP cai are narrower. The premium calibration tune and device will have to be ordered by web. You will have to send in your rear tire diameter, axle gear ratio, VIN # and PCM serial number. You will have to remove the PCM to get to the serial numbers, its easy though. Your tool and tune will be vin locked and optimized for your mustang by Ford Racing and will ship in 2 days (I got 1 day service!).

I went the second route, And I'm glad I did. But someday I will contact Tillman when my warranty expires! It is better to be safe than sorry. Just look into TacoBill trying to get warranty service from his dealer!

Last edited by fixmejesus; 11/3/08 at 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11/3/08, 08:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
That is my biggest concern with the aftermarket tunes. You definitely get better performance but I worry it pushes the engine much harder than the conservative Ford stuff. Since I don't plan on having to replace any major engine components, and mine is a daily driver, I don't necessarily want to be working the engine at its limit all the time. Quite frankly, if I was overly worried about being significantly faster, I would have just bought the GT500 in the first place. I do want to increase my horsepower, but I don't take it to the track and rarely race anyone......well except the occasional fart can exhaust Honda that always seems to force themselves to be humiliated. You would think they would know better before they rev the engine at a light or blow by you on the freeway laughing.
You wont be pushing any engine limits with just a CAI and a tune. I'm here pushing 420rwhp on a very conservative tune with no issues. The car is my daily driver and I drive almost 2k miles a month. I do a lot of commuting back and forth from school and work. The Ford tune is going to be a disappointment, you probably wont see any "performance" increase. Not sure what the Bullit Mustangs are rated from factory but I know its not much more then a plain Jane stock GT, 5-10hp?

Do yourself a favor and get with CR on his Bullit intake(if you MUST get that one) and have him tune it. You wont be disappointed.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=474223

Last edited by JonCo; 11/3/08 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11/3/08, 08:50 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
You wont be pushing any engine limits with just a CAI and a tune. I'm here pushing 420rwhp on a very conservative tune with no issues. The car is my daily driver and I drive almost 2k miles a month. I do a lot of commuting back and forth from school and work. The Ford tune is going to be a disapointment, you probably wont see any "performance" increase. Not sure what the Bullit Mustangs are rated from factory but I know its not much more then a plain Jane stock GT, 5-10hp?

Do yourself a favor and get with CR on his Bullit intake(if you MUST get that one, there are so many nicer looking/better performing CAI's out there) and have him tune it. You wont be dissapointed.
You will see performance increase with the FRPP. Also beware of the the other CAI's out there. Most of them do not bring in cold air, they do not shield the hot air coming from the motor and headers and most use a oil based air cone that will foul your throttle body and mass air sensor.
Old 11/3/08, 11:02 AM
Bullitt Member

The term Cold Air Intake is a misnomer. Brining in cold air is not their main purpose. They are desinged to bring in an increased volume of air into the engine, hence why most intakes need a tune to adjust the A/F ratio.
Old 11/3/08, 11:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

..........and most use a oil based air cone that will foul your throttle body and mass air sensor.
No they won't if they are oiled properly (not over-oiled). Most people that have had problems with K&N or similar oiled air filters over-oil them. If you are paranoid about this potential problem or don't know how to oil them properly, use one of the dry alternatives like the AEM dryflow or the new Amsoil Ea nanofiber air filters. I've been using K&N air filters for 20+ years in 15-20 different cars (including several Mustangs) in both stock and aftermarket setups, and have never had a problem.
Old 11/3/08, 03:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I've used K&N filters in my off-road rigs for years and never had a problem either. I'm calling Chris now and I think I'll go with his deal.

Update: Just got off the phone with Chris. I purchased the Bullitt intake from him, an SCT X3 Powerflash tuner with three tunes (91 street race, 91 performance, 89 performance) and while I was at it, a set of Steeda Ultra-Lite springs and Steeda Pro-Action shocks, Granatelli front and rear swaybar package, and Steeda HD strut mounts as well. Chris was easy to work with and the prices are excellent.

Last edited by 07 GT/CS; 11/3/08 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11/3/08, 05:54 PM
V6 Member

I've used K&N filters in my off-road rigs for years and never had a problem either. I'm calling Chris now and I think I'll go with his deal.

Update: Just got off the phone with Chris. I purchased the Bullitt intake from him, an SCT X3 Powerflash tuner with three tunes (91 street race, 91 performance, 89 performance) and while I was at it, a set of Steeda Ultra-Lite springs and Steeda Pro-Action shocks, Granatelli front and rear swaybar package, and Steeda HD strut mounts as well. Chris was easy to work with and the prices are excellent.
Good deal man! Glad to hear you got the bullitt intake! You WILL NOT be disappointed!!!
Old 11/3/08, 06:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris is one heck of a salesman. Sounds like he sold you half the store. Congratulations on the upgrades
Old 11/3/08, 07:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
Chris is one heck of a salesman. Sounds like he sold you half the store. Congratulations on the upgrades
I had planned on the other purchases already, but when I started asking him for price quotes, the prices were good enough to just order them at the same time. Well, sort of the same time. I called him back three times with more parts and he kept adding them to my purchase. He was very helpful and patient. I had originally planned on the Steeda or Ford swaybar package, but they had a sale on the Granatelli. I figure the quality should be pretty decent and certainly an upgrade from stock. I was torn on the springs and shocks but when I found out that the Ford springs are Eibachs and the shocks are made by somebody else, I thought the Steeda parts would certainly be as good if not better.

Last edited by 07 GT/CS; 11/4/08 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11/3/08, 09:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

You will see performance increase with the FRPP. Also beware of the the other CAI's out there. Most of them do not bring in cold air, they do not shield the hot air coming from the motor and headers and most use a oil based air cone that will foul your throttle body and mass air sensor.
Like it has already been mentioned. CAI bring more air into the engine, that's what their design to do. If you notice most CAI don't even bother with the little heat shields. I have heat extractors on my hood, when their open heat shoots out of the openings. If you think a heat shield is protecting you from that heat your wrong, not to be a jerk but its the truth. Under these hoods its a freakin furnace.

More air = more power. Again, don't take anything I said against uou personally. Just trying to make a point.

I had planned on the other purchases already, but when I started asking him for price quotes, the prices were good enough to just order them at the same time. Well, sort of the same time. I called him back three times with more parts and he kept adding them to my purchse. He was very helpful and patient. I had originally planned on the Steeda or Ford swaybar package, but they had a sale on the Granatelli. I figure the quality should be pretty decent and certainly an upgrade from stock. I was torn on the springs and shocks but when I found out that the Ford springs are Eibachs and the shocks are made by somebody else, I thought the Steeda parts would certainly be as good if not better.
I think you'll be very happy with your order.
Old 11/3/08, 10:34 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
Like it has already been mentioned. CAI bring more air into the engine, that's what their design to do. If you notice most CAI don't even bother with the little heat shields. I have heat extractors on my hood, when their open heat shoots out of the openings. If you think a heat shield is protecting you from that heat your wrong, not to be a jerk but its the truth. Under these hoods its a freakin furnace.

More air = more power. Again, don't take anything I said against uou personally. Just trying to make a point.
When you car travels foward air comes into through the front under the hood into the engine compartment, the FRPP intake takes advantage of this, most others don't. They are cheap oil filters and tubing not worth the extravagant price. If anything they are a gimmick, and its the tune that fixes the ford intentional handicap.

More cold air/fuel mixture = more power

Last edited by fixmejesus; 11/3/08 at 10:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Recommendations on Bullitt intake purchase source and install