GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Recent info from SCT regarding tune/warranty...

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/06, 01:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recent info from SCT regarding tune/warranty...

There seems to be many opinions on whether flashing backing to stock after a custom tune with XCAL2 leaves any evidence that the dealer can find. Some say that the only evidence is a code basically stating that the PCM has been reset (which could be battery disconnect, tune, etc.). Others say there is some other evidence buried deep in the PCM that the service guy can access. Well, here's what SCT says:

http://www.sctflash.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6192

So, it looks like all you get is a P1000 code, and if you drive for a few miles (I've read 50 to be safe), that code goes away, too. So, reflash to stock, drive for a couple days, THEN take it in for service.
Old 8/16/06, 05:31 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Rash
....So, it looks like all you get is a P1000 code, and if you drive for a few miles (I've read 50 to be safe), that code goes away, too. So, reflash to stock, drive for a couple days, THEN take it in for service.
I haven't got my SCT yet so I don't know for sure, but I thought I read that you can clear codes with the SCT. Why not just reflash to stock and then use the SCT to clear the P1000 code right away?
Old 8/16/06, 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by blaster
I haven't got my SCT yet so I don't know for sure, but I thought I read that you can clear codes with the SCT. Why not just reflash to stock and then use the SCT to clear the P1000 code right away?
Apparantly, it won't (can't?) clear the P1000 code.
Old 8/16/06, 08:10 PM
GT Member

Apparantly, it won't (can't?) clear the P1000 code.
Ok, hopefully I'll be getting mine soon from Bama Chips. If it can't clear P1000 then I'll remember to drive a few days after reflash to stock before going to dealer.
(There are no dealers close to me that are sympathetic to mods in any way)
Old 8/16/06, 09:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

You may also be interested in this link...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/51...-or-false.html

...which is the thread that started the SCT conversation. Some interesting things in there on this subject.
Old 8/17/06, 04:41 PM
GT Member

You may also be interested in this link...
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/51...-or-false.html
...which is the thread that started the SCT conversation. Some interesting things in there on this subject.
Interesting reading and I have seen other threads on other forums about the same thing. So many people claim as fact that there is no way Ford can tell if you reflash to stock, disconnect the battery and put a few miles on it, and then there are almost the same number of people that claim as fact that Ford *does* have a way to tell if the PCM has been flashed. It's hard to know who to believe. One thing though...I don't see hardly any posts about how Ford voided a warranty because they detected a PCM was flashed.
Old 8/17/06, 08:02 PM
Cobra R Member

the code is an obd2 systems check incomplete code. Basically means the computer has been reset and hasnt gone through the required drive cycles for the computer to know there arent any probs.
Old 8/17/06, 10:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Anyone try the JET Performance Chips PCM?
Old 8/23/06, 08:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's always been like this, on all cars. They can't refuse to work on your car if they find a P1000 code anyway.
Old 8/23/06, 10:47 PM
FR500 Member

I got a better idea....quit messin with it and bring it in for service, keep your mouth shut about havin a tune, then decide if you ever need to re-flash. You may be surprised at the results.
Old 8/24/06, 06:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SixtySix
I got a better idea....quit messin with it and bring it in for service, keep your mouth shut about havin a tune, then decide if you ever need to re-flash. You may be surprised at the results.
You may also be surprised when the dealer you thought didn't care blames your problem on your tune and refuses warranty work. Ford is hurting financially, thus so are the dealers. And when all they're thinking about is their bottom line, I don't trust ANY dealer to overlook my custom tune. These guys are looking for reasons not to do warranty work - I'm not gonna hand them one on a silver platter. That may sound cynical, but let's face it - this is Ford we're talking about here. not Lexus. They're not exactly known for their stellar customer service. Reflashing to stock is less risky than keeping my mouth shut and not reflashing. Just my opinion.
Old 8/24/06, 01:09 PM
FR500 Member

I know those dealers exist, so let's say for example your dealer pitches a fit....is it the end of the world? No, it isn't. Find one that doesn't pitch a fit. They are out there, in more numbers than you think. It is not just my opinion, it has been my actual experience. Everything you say is pure conjecture on your part. Your creating drama where it probably doesn't even exist. And it's not just you, it seems to be a majority opinion around most boards, not just this one.
Old 8/24/06, 06:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SixtySix
I know those dealers exist, so let's say for example your dealer pitches a fit....is it the end of the world? No, it isn't. Find one that doesn't pitch a fit. They are out there, in more numbers than you think. It is not just my opinion, it has been my actual experience. Everything you say is pure conjecture on your part. Your creating drama where it probably doesn't even exist. And it's not just you, it seems to be a majority opinion around most boards, not just this one.
So let's see, if my dealer does rag me about a tune, would I rather:

a) Spend what little time I have finding another dealer which will undoubtedly be less convenient and farther from work/home OR

b) Avoid the ragging to begin with by just flashing back to stock the two times a year I'm in for service.

I'll go with b. No drama. Just common sense, IMO. YMMV.
Old 8/24/06, 06:28 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,792 Posts
I'll attempt to put this warranty issue to rest once and for all..This is nethier an opinion from myself nor my quotes, but from a Ford Field Service Engineer..No dealership has the legal authority to void a Ford manufactuers warranty.. The proceedure is as follows, the dealer's service manager must request that a field service engineer be brought in to investigate the warranty claim, by conducting a full investigation and must then prove within a reasonable doubt, that the modification or aftermarket parts were directly responsible for causing either the powertrain or engine components to fail..The results of that investigation are then submitted to Ford corporate headquarters, in Detroit..In which Ford then reviews the results and then bases it's final decision from the feild service engineer's investigation and recommendation..Finally, the dealership in question is then notified of the warranty claim status, as either approved or disaproved, by Ford corporate..Therefore don't allow dealerships like this, intimidate you..They do not have the legal right nor authority to void a manufactuers warranty..Even dealerships, are required to follow proper proceedure and are not above the law..However, you should always reflash back to stock prior to taking your car back to the dealership for service, in the event your dealership determines your stock computer files need updated and you end up leaving your custom tune installed ?? not only will you lose your custom tune, but your tuner will no longer function, because of it's inability to read your new stock files, your dealership just downloaded..Anyway, just a thought..
Old 8/24/06, 07:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I'll attempt to put this warranty issue to rest once and for all..This is nethier an opinion from myself nor my quotes, but from a Ford Field Service Engineer..No dealership has the legal authority to void a Ford manufactuers warranty.. The proceedure is as follows, the dealer's service manager must request that a field service engineer be brought in to investigate the warranty claim, by conducting a full investigation and must then prove within a reasonable doubt, that the modification or aftermarket parts were directly responsible for causing either the powertrain or engine components to fail..The results of that investigation are then submitted to Ford corporate headquarters, in Detroit..In which Ford then reviews the results and then bases it's final decision from the feild service engineer's investigation and recommendation..Finally, the dealership in question is then notified of the warranty claim status, as either approved or disaproved, by Ford corporate..Therefore don't allow dealerships like this, intimidate you..They do not have the legal right nor authority to void a manufactuers warranty..Even dealerships, are required to follow proper proceedure and are not above the law
That's helpful to know, and I appreciate that. But the point remains, why not just flash to stock and eliminate the chances of any of that happening? Certainly, I'd fight for my rights if some shady dealer tried to iintimidate me. I've already gone to lemon law once on a Mercury Mountaineer and won, so I won't be initimidated (and they did try). But why not just avoid even the possiblity of getting jerked aound and just reflash?

The whole point of this thread was whether reflashing left any perceptible evidence of the custom tune. If the answer is no, then it seems that reflashing is a small inconvenience that eliminates the possibilty a of much larger inconvenience - warranty denial, justified or not.
Old 8/24/06, 07:28 PM

That's helpful to know, and I appreciate that. But the point remains, why not just flash to stock and eliminate the chances of any of that happening? Certainly, I'd fight for my rights if some shady dealer tried to iintimidate me. I've already gone to lemon law once on a Mercury Mountaineer and won, so I won't be initimidated (and they did try). But why not just avoid even the possiblity of getting jerked aound and just reflash?

The whole point of this thread was whether reflashing left any perceptible evidence of the custom tune. If the answer is no, then it seems that reflashing is a small inconvenience that eliminates the possibilty a of much larger inconvenience - warranty denial, justified or not.
Sorry about that..I didn't have the chance to finish editing, before you replied.. but its all completed now
Old 8/24/06, 07:47 PM

Here's how I get around that problem..If I'm ever asked about re-flashing all I do is just say, I disconnected my battery cables to clean the terminal posts..Here's a direct quote, from Ryan at SCT that explains this furthur..
The P1000 code, is a code that is thrown anytime a vehicle is flashed, or the battery is disconnected, which is what was commented about the battery disconnect earlier.

In ford service manuals, the code is listed as. "OBD SYSTEMS READINESS TEST NOT COMPLETE"

Basically, you need to drive the vehicle to get all of the tests to pass, this could be shortly, in a couple of miles, or it could longer, depending on the drive cycles required.

Ryan
Old 8/24/06, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

But the question remains...is the P1000 code the ONLY evidence? Is there some bit of data deep in the PCM that ford engineers know how to access if and when desired? No one has proven that yet. I'm inclined to think not, simply because by now SOMEWHERE on the vast internet some rogue ford tech with a few beers in him late one night trying to impress his cyber buddies in some gearhead forum would have spilled the beans on how it's done. That being said, it would really suck if my engine blew up and some ford engineer presented me with some cryptic hidden readout proving the existence of my previous custom tune, stamped boldly in red:

"Warranty Service Denied"
Old 8/24/06, 08:15 PM

But the question remains...is the P1000 code the ONLY evidence? Is there some bit of data deep in the PCM that ford engineers know how to access if and when desired? No one has proven that yet. I'm inclined to think not, simply because by now SOMEWHERE on the vast internet some rogue ford tech with a few beers in him late one night trying to impress his cyber buddies in some gearhead forum would have spilled the beans on how it's done. That being said, it would really suck if my engine blew up and some ford engineer presented me with some cryptic hidden readout proving the existence of my previous custom tune, stamped boldly in red:

"Warranty Service Denied"
Yes, your correct..The P-1000 is the only code that remains and there's no way that Ford can prove nor is their any evidence of any other files that you downloaded from a tuner..As I said before if in the event your ever asked ? just say that you disconnected your battery cables, in order to clean your posts..And there isn't a **** thing your dealership can prove otherwise..believe me, I also purchased an ESP warranty in addition to my factory warranty, as well..So I made sure that my research is accurate and correct, before I purchased my CAI and tuner combo. so you have nothing to worry about.. Also as Ryan said from SCT, once your car is driven through enough cycles..even the P-1000 code no longer remains..
Old 8/24/06, 09:53 PM
FR500 Member

And to add more fuel to the fire... getting your oil changed isn't going to require anybody to even look at your computer. So unless you're in for a specific issue that relates to the computer system nobody is going to look at it.

I brought mine in for an issue that was related to the computer and required a reflash and did it right there in front of my service advisor.

Quick Reply: Recent info from SCT regarding tune/warranty...