GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Rear end problem

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/05, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Ok heres the problem my gt is having..the rear end is making a loud chattering noise on launch usually...if i start really slow it usually wont do it...but if i give it a little more gas i can...it does this in almost every gear but more noticable in low gears...sometimes i can hear a slight quick chatter cruising on the highway going over certain bumps in the road...it never makes the noise on deacceleration only when accelerating...it seems to be fine when the car is cold but i usually drive pretty easy till the car warms up a bit....going to make an appointment to take it to the dealer tomorrow anyone have any clues? car is stock except for a magnapack catback...
Old 2/7/05, 05:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by nunya@February 7, 2005, 7:03 AM
Ok heres the problem my gt is having..the rear end is making a loud chattering noise on launch usually...if i start really slow it usually wont do it...but if i give it a little more gas i can...it does this in almost every gear but more noticable in low gears...sometimes i can hear a slight quick chatter cruising on the highway going over certain bumps in the road...it never makes the noise on deacceleration only when accelerating...it seems to be fine when the car is cold but i usually drive pretty easy till the car warms up a bit....going to make an appointment to take it to the dealer tomorrow anyone have any clues? car is stock except for a magnapack catback...
Difficult to tell from your discription but I would guess either 1.) the clutches in the limited slip are chattering possibly due to the lack of friction modifier or 2.) you may be hearing/feeling the axle windup or wheel-hop some of us are experiencing. Let us know what the dealer says.

The Boss Hog
Old 2/7/05, 05:18 AM

hmmm... not sure if this is whats happening, probably not, but when I had a magnaflow magnapack catback system installed on my 04 GT I had the SAME EXACT problem....took it back to the place I got it installed and it turns out the muffler tips came loose. They did a welding job on it real quick and everything was perfect after that...

So i dunno, just in case you might wanna have a look at your exhaust system and make sure everything is pretty tight.

Hope that helps
Old 2/7/05, 05:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

don't know about your rear end, but there is a brand new one [05] sitting at a local dealership here with the rear end gone. I'd certainly have it checked. :scratch:
Old 2/7/05, 06:30 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My question is did you have the problem before you installed the exhaust system? When I first installed mine the exhaust tip on the drivers side was too close to the bumper and was hitting the metal when I stopped on it. I fixed it, still had a similar noise and found that the inlet pipe on the passenger side was hitting underneath the car. After adjusting everything properly I have not had a problem since and that was over 2,000 miles ago.
Old 2/7/05, 10:30 PM

this did pretty much happen after i had the exhaust installed...guess i should take a look under the car and see if i can see anything...never really thought of it tho because it sounds more of like a grinding noise...dunno im bad at descibing car noises and btw its a auto and its definatly not wheel hop because this noise can get real loud inside...and it not at that hard of a launch..
Old 2/8/05, 08:45 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you have your original exhaust you may want to reinstall them for a few days. That way you will know for sure what is going on.
Old 2/8/05, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

The mufflers sit RIGHT under the muffler hanger bracket mounting points, and they need to be mounted with a little clearance. It's easy for them to be just a fraction of an inch away from bracket mount and vibrate into the mount. It's a loud chatter/rattle thats easy to hear.

One way you can safely determine this is with the car cold, engine off. Go to your rear wheel well, and bang on the muffler (upwards) right there through the gap. You may hear it bang up against the body or the hanger bracket mounting bolt. Try both sides, it may only be happening on one side.

This was happening with my Flowmasters for a while.
Old 2/9/05, 03:13 AM

Check this out: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=15655
Old 2/9/05, 08:26 AM
Bullitt Member

There's a new TSB on this issue...do a search to find out the skinny on it.

Good luck.