GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Rake?

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/06, 11:35 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to drop the front more than the back and give the car an old school raked look, has anyone done this yet? If so howd you go about it and which springs did you use?

I like the clean look of the car being lowered and evened out by dropping the back more than the front (as most kits do) but I want to keep that mean agressive stance and still get the car lower.
Old 4/20/06, 04:24 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rrobello @ April 20, 2006, 12:38 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I want to drop the front more than the back and give the car an old school raked look, has anyone done this yet? If so howd you go about it and which springs did you use?

I like the clean look of the car being lowered and evened out by dropping the back more than the front (as most kits do) but I want to keep that mean agressive stance and still get the car lower.
[/b][/quote]

the frpp kit keeps the stock "rake" i dont know if its enough for you but any more would mess with the way the car corners.[attachmentid=47397]

jay
Old 4/20/06, 08:34 AM

H & R makes a spring kit they call "Sport Springs" that drops the front 1.0" and the rear 0.75" I'll probably be going this route myself as I want to stay with a rear tire that has the same overall diameter as stock but I'll probably be going with (due to limited size selection) a front tire with a lower sidewall and this will then creat a noticable gap in the front wheelwells.
Old 4/20/06, 12:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

jay, I love those wheels..... who makes em?
Old 4/20/06, 03:47 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ April 20, 2006, 12:16 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
jay, I love those wheels..... who makes em?
[/b][/quote]

I would like to know too, these are currently my favorite wheels. on a silver car no less.

Please don't say BBK Black Diamond's
Old 4/20/06, 04:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Steeda Ultra Lites... 1 in front - 1 1/4 in rear drop...

side view...

diff angle view...

Old 4/20/06, 04:19 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tkogt @ April 20, 2006, 5:27 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
the frpp kit keeps the stock "rake" i dont know if its enough for you but any more would mess with the way the car corners.[attachmentid=47397]
jay
[/b][/quote]

do you happen to know how much the frpps drop the car?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Machine @ April 20, 2006, 5:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Steeda Ultra Lites... 1 in front - 1 1/4 in rear drop...
[/b][/quote]

thanks, I like the look of your car, but I am trying to avoid dropping the back more than the front, to me it levels the car out, which gives it a great looking race car look, but I really love the old school look this car comes with and I want to keep that going while improving the handling.
Old 4/20/06, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rrobello @ April 20, 2006, 3:22 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
do you happen to know how much the frpps drop the car?[/b][/quote]

approx 1.5

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
thanks, I like the look of your car, but I am trying to avoid dropping the back more than the front, to me it levels the car out, which gives it a great looking race car look, but I really love the old school look this car comes with and I want to keep that going while improving the handling.
[/b][/quote]

i too love the "rake" look, my suggestion: to go w/ H&R's Coilover kit. They just released the c/o's for the S197's and i'll be going this route.

pro's:
  • FULL ADJUSTABILITY
  • you can drop the front from 1.0-2.5 and the rear from 1.0-2.0
  • great for autocrossers, track junkies, and whatnot
  • u dont have to worry about matching them w/ high performance shocks because the c/o kit comes w/ it
con's:

price - suggested retail is $1350

again im going this route, im searching for a vendor that are selling these (i've already emailed H&R).

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/20/06, 04:54 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SyNRG @ April 20, 2006, 5:41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
approx 1.5
i too love the "rake" look, my suggestion: to go w/ H&R's Coilover kit. They just released the c/o's for the S197's and i'll be going this route.

pro's:
  • FULL ADJUSTABILITY
  • you can drop the front from 1.0-2.5 and the rear from 1.0-2.0
  • great for autocrossers, track junkies, and whatnot
  • u dont have to worry about matching them w/ high performance shocks because the c/o kit comes w/ it
con's:

price - suggested retail is $1350

again im going this route, im searching for a vendor that are selling these (i've already emailed H&R).

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I saw those last night and am thinking about them as well, I was trying to figure out a way to do this with just the springs since I am getting hooked up on them, I would prefer the coilovers anyways, but like I said the hookup is in effect and its for springs. However I might be able to get a deal on the coil overs so I might just have to go that route anyways, I am getting pricing on them right now.
Old 4/20/06, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Taller rear tires will help exagerate the "rake" also.
Old 4/20/06, 05:13 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ April 20, 2006, 6:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

I am planning on staggering the wheel diameters as well, originally I was thinking of 18s up front and 19s in back but unless I get them custom made (which I was toying with, but also reason why I dont have aftermarket wheels yet) it seems as though I might have to go with 20s in the back, which might look good anyways. When I do this I plan on sticking with a taller wall on the back, close to whats on it stock and a low profile up front.

I guess another question is how low can I go in the front and not have to worry about bumps and dips and things?????

Maybe airride might be the way to go....LOL?????
Old 4/20/06, 05:34 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Are there any adjustable lower control arms for the '05+?

I have some MM Adj. Control arms on my Mach and they allow to adj. rear ride height. I know MM has many '05+ parts under devleopment.
Old 4/20/06, 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Don't forsake the rake.

Got rake?

Old 4/20/06, 08:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

randy, i thought you had the eibach springs?
Old 4/20/06, 09:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Talking

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ April 20, 2006, 9:20 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
randy, i thought you had the eibach springs?
[/b][/quote]

I have the H&R Sport springs for a 1" drop in the front and .75" in the rear. I like them a lot and will be adding Bilstein shocks/struts when they become available.
Old 4/20/06, 10:09 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brnrkm @ April 20, 2006, 4:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I would like to know too, these are currently my favorite wheels. on a silver car no less.

Please don't say BBK Black Diamond's
[/b][/quote]

they are drifz 506's 18 by 9.5 w/ 6.68 backspace

they are the widest that i found that will let you run more than 1 deg neg camber

the ones i have are gun metel they also sell them with black centers

they weigh 24.75 pounds( my stock fan blades, 18 by 8.5, weigh 33 pounds)

i got them at american tire

they have a 3 inch!!! chromed stainless lips (can you say deep dish?)

the car is lowered 1.75 inchs and i run 275/40/18 kumho mx's and they have never rubbed

they did just nick the lower corner of the front caliper at the track( with new brake pads ) under race conditions in the corners but it stopped after 2 laps and left just a little scuff on the inside of the spokes.

thanks for the props!!

jay
Old 4/21/06, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

randy, luvin ur 'stang, fantastic rake! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/21/06, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SyNRG @ April 21, 2006, 9:32 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
randy, luvin ur 'stang, fantastic rake! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Thanks! It's a modest drop compared to most of the other springs, but I'm going for an OEM-type look for this car and hopefully performance. I want to enhance what Ford did, but not diminish anything in the process.
Old 4/21/06, 10:19 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ April 20, 2006, 5:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Ahh took the words outta my mouth..... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

I plan on swapping my Nitto 285/40s in back for 295/45s when the time comes..... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/21/06, 01:52 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Rocky, that last pic you posted doesn't look like the car is lowered at all. My Steeda's dropped mine a lot more than that. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Rake?