GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Quieter Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/12, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quieter Exhaust?

Currently have frpp shorties, pypes off road x and borla axle back

Love the sound on the streets but the highway drive is too loud on the inside.

I really dont want to put the stock cats on and really don't want to change the headers

Will the metallic pypes cats quiet everything down but still maintain a good sound?
Old 9/3/12, 03:04 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mptant913
Currently have frpp shorties, pypes off road x and borla axle back

Love the sound on the streets but the highway drive is too loud on the inside.

I really dont want to put the stock cats on and really don't want to change the headers

Will the metallic pypes cats quiet everything down but still maintain a good sound?
Have you considered pulling the carpet and laying down some Dynamat under the carpet?
Old 9/3/12, 05:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

No not at all. Not familiar with it
Old 9/3/12, 05:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
try putting the stock mufflers back on
Old 9/3/12, 05:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/
Old 9/3/12, 05:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
try putting the stock mufflers back on
Lol hell no..
Old 9/3/12, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
High flow cats, sound deadening material, and resonators are all things you can try. I have vibrant 12 inch resonators and I might switch them out for 18 inch ones soon. These things reduce but don't eliminate drone - that's just a factor of what muffler you choose.
Old 9/3/12, 05:56 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mptant913
No not at all. Not familiar with it
Dynamat, Second Skin, etc are sound deadening materials. They really do make a difference. Putting it on your floor pan can really make a difference in deadening drone and exhaust noises, etc. It will quiet your exhaust on the interior, but still purr on the outside. You'll get your exhaust sound when cruising the city our country roads with the windows down, but w/ the windows up is when you'll notice the most difference. Even if you decide to change your exhaust later, you'll still have a quieter interior which will dampen other road/suspension noises and make your tunes sound a little more crisp when cruising with the radio on. It's not cheap, but it works, and if you're happy w/ the exterior sound, then it's cheaper than constantly switching exhausts trying to find the perfect setup.
Old 9/3/12, 06:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Dynamat, Second Skin, etc are sound deadening materials. They really do make a difference. Putting it on your floor pan can really make a difference in deadening drone and exhaust noises, etc. It will quiet your exhaust on the interior, but still purr on the outside. You'll get your exhaust sound when cruising the city our country roads with the windows down, but w/ the windows up is when you'll notice the most difference. Even if you decide to change your exhaust later, you'll still have a quieter interior which will dampen other road/suspension noises and make your tunes sound a little more crisp when cruising with the radio on. It's not cheap, but it works, and if you're happy w/ the exterior sound, then it's cheaper than constantly switching exhausts trying to find the perfect setup.
When I had my carpets out I did an install of RAAMMAt and Ensolite from http://www.raamaudio.com/. 1 pack of the RAAMmat and 3 of the Ensolite was just enough to do the cabin including rear seats. I need to order more to do the full trunk and maybe doors. This helped with miscellaneous noises, especially drivetrain noise coming from the differential.

Last edited by Agent MOO; 9/3/12 at 06:31 PM.
Old 9/3/12, 06:57 PM

I had a similar problem with a fox body and solved it with a Magnaflow catback system. I recently rode in a 10GT with a Botla system and The drone was so bad I declined to purchase the car.
Old 9/4/12, 05:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

I guess I should look into new mufflers then.. i do like the borlas and my entire exhaust but after a year and going on long highway rides the drone and noise is just too loud now..

Thanks for all the info
Old 9/4/12, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I just ordered a set of stainless American Thunders (817410) and I'll be selling my flowmaster 40's. They are fun but loud but I want to keep it neighborly when I go Cams and Headers
Old 9/4/12, 11:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Anybody have experience with flowmaster hushpower mufflers ?

At this point i guess i should just out the cams back k on
Old 9/4/12, 11:43 AM

When I had your mods, I took the advice of long time forum member 70smachoneowner, and installed some Magnaflows. They are the larger, oval design model. Sorry I don't know the model number. American Muscle has them. Cabin Sound levels are relatively low and no drone at any rpm. Great at WOT, though. Since cams and LTs, I added some 18" Magnaflow resonators, and the sound is similar.
Old 9/4/12, 11:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rivercitypony
When I had your mods, I took the advice of long time forum member 70smachoneowner, and installed some Magnaflows. They are the larger, oval design model. Sorry I don't know the model number. American Muscle has them. Cabin Sound levels are relatively low and no drone at any rpm. Great at WOT, though. Since cams and LTs, I added some 18" Magnaflow resonators, and the sound is similar.
I actually just installed an edelbrock supercharger. I have to check out the magna flows i think magnaflows are used for the street scene generation 1 center exhaust