GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Questions about BamaChips Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 12/1/06, 08:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about BamaChips Tunes

All, just ordered the BamaChips Tunes with the SCT X-Cal II....question about the specific tunes though. I ordered the 91 Performance, 91 Torque and 89 Performance....what's the deal with the "Race" tunes...I had assumed that they were only for a closed course...can these be run on the street? If they can then I'm going to call Doug and have him change my order to get the 91 Race tune. I ask this because I just was reading the Bamachips thread where several members indicated they were running the Race tune on the street.

For the record, what is the diff between the RACE, Performance and Torque tunes (all at 91 octane)

T.I.A.

Nevermind - found a thread that explains the difference!! Going to have to change my order to the 91 RACE, 91Torque and 91 Performance Tunes for sure!!
Old 12/1/06, 09:58 PM

According to Doug, all of his tunes including the race tune is perfectly safe for everyday use. I have the 93 race, performance, and torque tunes...the race tune is my favorite and the one that I'm using right now. The torque tune pulls great down low, but flattens off a bit at higher rpms. The performance tune lacks a little down low, but pulls hard in the higher rpms. The race tune seems to have a great balance of power throughout the entire rpm range with incredible throttle response.
Old 12/1/06, 10:02 PM
V6 Member

Get the Race Tune(in the highest octane you have in your area)! You'll never use the others once you try it! Get all tunes in the same octane. Changing octane tunes means waiting til your almost empty to change octane gas (yuck!)
Old 12/2/06, 01:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Definately get the race tune. You will never turn back! It's sooooo good! I use the 93 race most of the time and it's perfectly fine for street driving, the throttle response is unbelievable though so be careful in parking lots etc!
Old 12/2/06, 06:27 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Race tune here as well Fine for every day use... Being new to tunes, I must say that there is not an insane difference between tunes as compared to having no tunes at all. 1-10 Scale: no tune vs. 87 = 8, 87 vs. 93 = 1.5, 93 tq vs. 93 race = 1 IMO. Make sense?
Old 12/2/06, 10:13 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Race tune here as well Fine for every day use... Being new to tunes, I must say that there is not an insane difference between tunes as compared to having no tunes at all. 1-10 Scale: no tune vs. 87 = 8, 87 vs. 93 = 1.5, 93 tq vs. 93 race = 1 IMO. Make sense?
You know Steel.. I felt that way until last week ..I had to take the Stang in for TSB 06-9-9 fuel pump blowing bubbles, So I flashed back to stock and put the factory box back on ..and man! I could tell the difference then.. in town and on the interstate.. couldn't wait to get back to the pony stall and put the C&L CAI on and flash back to my 93 warp drive from brenspeed.com.....
Old 12/2/06, 11:44 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
You know Steel.. I felt that way until last week ..I had to take the Stang in for TSB 06-9-9 fuel pump blowing bubbles, So I flashed back to stock and put the factory box back on ..and man! I could tell the difference then.. in town and on the interstate.. couldn't wait to get back to the pony stall and put the C&L CAI on and flash back to my 93 warp drive from brenspeed.com.....
I agree... There's a big difference between no tune/stock intake vs. CAI w/tune, however, the difference between the octanes/types of tunes are not as dramatic.
Old 12/2/06, 04:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I agree... There's a big difference between no tune/stock intake vs. CAI w/tune, however, the difference between the octanes/types of tunes are not as dramatic.
I agree ..I'm also thinking about trying some other tuners work ..for a little objective comparison you know !...
Old 12/2/06, 09:58 PM

I had an Evolution Perf 91 octane tune since last April, I got a new 91 octane race tune from Doug yesterday. I have to say that the difference between the two is rediculous. It feels like a different car now, the reason I got it is because I believe I was getting some detonation due to the colder weather and the throttle lag was getting on my nerves big time. I am going to have a Whipple installed later this month, but I am glad I got to experience Doug's work.
Old 12/3/06, 07:21 AM
Bullitt Member

The 93 Race Tune is very aggressive and I love it.

Adding the Auto Trans Tune, which emulates the shifting of a stick shift, makes my daily driver a lot of fun.
Old 12/3/06, 08:06 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

... another varible that would seem to effect the overall experience of a tune would be whether your car was an auto or a 5 speed. IMO, the auto would provide a greater perception/"feel" for the different tunes, as more elements are constant throughout the range, than a 5 speed. Personally, I notice more of the low end and high end, however, not as focussed on the mid range that would seem to be more noticable in an auto.
Old 12/3/06, 10:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GT John
The 93 Race Tune is very aggressive and I love it.

Adding the Auto Trans Tune, which emulates the shifting of a stick shift, makes my daily driver a lot of fun.
i have the 92 race tune on my auto tranny. is there a separate "auto trans tune" too? or is it automatically set that way if you have an auto?
Old 12/3/06, 10:37 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks fellow Stangheads for your most excellent feedback

I spoke with Doug yesterday morning (great guy by the way and we need to find a way to clone him).....I'm getting the RACE/Torque/Performance tunes all in the 91 octane (highest CA rating). I tend to agree with the thought that the only way to go is to stay with the same octane tunes as I never switched down from my 91 octane tune on my '05.....I couldn't bear the though of losing ANY hp and will pay the difference in fuel prices......going to run with the Bamachips 91 Race & JLT II CAI combo for a while...once that wears off - it's going to be back to the SC hunt for me.......
Old 12/3/06, 11:33 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Thanks fellow Stangheads for your most excellent feedback

I spoke with Doug yesterday morning (great guy by the way and we need to find a way to clone him).....I'm getting the RACE/Torque/Performance tunes all in the 91 octane (highest CA rating). I tend to agree with the thought that the only way to go is to stay with the same octane tunes as I never switched down from my 91 octane tune on my '05.....I couldn't bear the though of losing ANY hp and will pay the difference in fuel prices......going to run with the Bamachips 91 Race & JLT II CAI combo for a while...once that wears off - it's going to be back to the SC hunt for me.......
I carry an 87 tune "just in case" it's good insurance against a bad tank of fuel "wrong octane"
Old 12/3/06, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sound wave
i have the 92 race tune on my auto tranny. is there a separate "auto trans tune" too? or is it automatically set that way if you have an auto?
Absolutely, there are different Automatic Transmission Tunes.

I guess you could say there is a performance, torque and race automatic trans tune.

Find the engine tune that suits you, then find the auto tranny tune you like. Put them both together and wa la. The perfect package.

The automatic tranny is computer controlled and can be programmed, within limits, to shift anyway that will fit your needs.

Ya gotta love fly by wire. Any other way would cost a small fortune and eat up many man hours of trial and error.

Now its just a few lines of code.

Yeah, give Doug a call or email him. He has several auto tran tunes you may be able to test before you decide.