GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Question for those with a Saleen supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/08, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question for those with a Saleen supercharger

I am looking to pick one of these up next spring when I get a large back paycheque. Question I have is how are they for regular driving? Would you recommend the basic kit or the 475hp kit? I know the kit is more money than others, but I like the clean look to the install. I do take the car to autocross quite a bit, but it is my daily driver too. I plan to get another beater car for the daily driver and use my 05 from time to time.

Also if you could let me know how long you have had yours, or how many miles on it. Any problems, fuel consumption increase (not that it matters) and overall feelings on the set up on your car. Thanks.
Old 10/4/08, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my car back from the installer Friday, I went with the Brenspeed stage 3 saleen kit, the claim 500 crank HP.

Mileage is down per the computer but I won't believe anything until I check it with a tank fill-up. Before the SC I romped on it all the time, didn't drive highway much, and still got 19.5 MPG. Now the computer's telling me 14.5 with the same driving style.

I have experienced a couple of driveability issues :

1) Hanging the rear out. I used to be able to hang the back out after a corner and keep it there by modulating the throttle. I can't do this in 1st anymore because the throttle is so sensitive. I'm either giving it too much or too little.

2) My 0-60 time (only tried it once) was 4.44 and my 60' 2.04 (gtech). I spun the entire time. I need practice and more rubber.
Old 10/5/08, 10:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

I've had mine for ~12,000mi on my daily driver with zero problems. I've got the 3.6 pulley, 39lb injectors, 90mm MAF, HT0 plugs and a JDM tune.
Old 10/5/08, 11:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Go with the 475hp kit......

www.brenspeed.com
Old 10/5/08, 11:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Oh by the way, I am moving this thread into the GT Tech forum...... thanks.
Old 10/5/08, 11:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Had the Saleen S/C installed in June 06. At that time, Saleen did not have their optional tunes/hp available. Have abouy 20K on the unit and not one problem. In Spring 07 I went with a JDM tune that included 3.6 pulley/39# inj. It made all the difference in the world regarding response, etc. Dyno was 411 RWHP/383 RWT. I have 3:73"s, so a mpg comparison is difficult but I recall my highway mpg went up like 1.5 mpg when not playing with the s/c

Last edited by Ranger; 10/5/08 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10/6/08, 08:51 AM
Cobra Member

I'm running a Saleen, 3.2" pulley, obvious fuel mods and suspension mods to support the power. Had the SC since late 2005. Don't even remember what it is like to drive the car without it. It gets 260+ miles to a tank inner city driving, more on the highway, and runs tight 7s in the 8th.
Old 10/6/08, 08:29 PM
GT Member

I've had mine for almost 2 months now. I had the same concerns as this is my daily driver also. My commute to work has a lot of stop and go and I'm getting about 17 MPG (was 18 before the S/C). I don't think the S/C hurt the gas mileage, but rather my urge to floor it all the time. The throttle response is amazing, and car feels 100% better. I don't have any problems with driving it such as spinning tires in low gears. The boost doesn't kick in unless you accelerate quickly, so you're in control. Obviously with 500 HP if you mash it in 1st gear the tires are gonna spin.

The only issue I have seen is in wet weather you've got to stay off it. I've spun tires in 3rd gear when opening the throttle even slightly. You just gotta be smart and you'll love it!
Old 10/6/08, 11:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

VVVROOM, what kit are you running? The basic or the 475 or more?
Old 10/7/08, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Have had mine for ten months now with no issues.
The car is fun to drive but you have to be sensably or it will get away from you.
Mine is an Auto so not many problems with pedal at first gear. It does take a bit to get used to. You can see my numbers below. Also had a custom tune done.
If you get the bigger kit make sure you get the upgrade fuel system.
Old 10/7/08, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the replies, I am definately going to get this blower. One last question, can up upgrade to the 475hp kit later if you want? What would be involved?
Old 10/8/08, 02:07 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
To upgrade a Saleen is to just get a smaller pulley, a different tune, bigger Injectors and a better fuel system. Oh and also some way to plant that power to the road. I have about max out were I want to be safe with out going to Forged parts. A 3.6 pulley, a Brenspeed Tune, 39lb Ford Matched Racing injectors, and a single Ford GT Racing Fuel Pump. I'm at 430 rwhp and 413 torque. I have replaced all my suspension with better parts and replace my tires with 265 BF Goodrich's KW tires. I still spin in 1st and 2nd gear anytime I nail it to the floor. The car is a blast to drive.

Question for those with a Saleen supercharger-blue-stripe-003.jpg

Question for those with a Saleen supercharger-dscf0686.jpg
Old 10/9/08, 12:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dly
To upgrade a Saleen is to just get a smaller pulley, a different tune, bigger Injectors and a better fuel system. Oh and also some way to plant that power to the road. I have about max out were I want to be safe with out going to Forged parts. A 3.6 pulley, a Brenspeed Tune, 39lb Ford Matched Racing injectors, and a single Ford GT Racing Fuel Pump. I'm at 430 rwhp and 413 torque. I have replaced all my suspension with better parts and replace my tires with 265 BF Goodrich's KW tires. I still spin in 1st and 2nd gear anytime I nail it to the floor. The car is a blast to drive.

Attachment 64646

Attachment 64647
Just an observation, but make sure that braided hose from the drivers side plenum to the PCV is not a vacuum hose but instead a reinforced hose that won't deteriorate with the heat/gases/oil. It will collapse in itself if it's not made for that application.
Old 10/9/08, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

[quote=dly;5650538]To upgrade a Saleen is to just get a smaller pulley, a different tune, bigger Injectors and a better fuel system. Oh and also some way to plant that power to the road. I have about max out were I want to be safe with out going to Forged parts. A 3.6 pulley, a Brenspeed Tune, 39lb Ford Matched Racing injectors, and a single Ford GT Racing Fuel Pump. I'm at 430 rwhp and 413 torque. I have replaced all my suspension with better parts and replace my tires with 265 BF Goodrich's KW tires. I still spin in 1st and 2nd gear anytime I nail it to the floor. The car is a blast to drive.
quote]

Well I have 295/30/20s on the back so they will help plant the power along with other suspension and brake upgrades. I think I will be going for the 475 hp kit right from the start. Only problem I am having now is the Canadian dollar is dropping like a bloody rock Just a few weeks back it was hovering around par with the greenback, and now it is 87 cents WTF??

This blower is getting more expensive by the day. I hope the numbers change by Spring.
Old 10/9/08, 04:21 PM

If your still looking for a Saleen blower after x-mas,Email me i have a brand new one on the shelf,that i dont want anymore i will sell it to you for $5,500 paid $6,000 before the price went up.I live in Calgary.But if you get one thats fine.
Old 10/9/08, 08:45 PM

I would just like to give some much needed praise to the fine folks at Brenspeed in Pierceton Indiana.. These people are excellent and their customer service goes above and beyond anything I have ever experienced. I just drove there from KY to have a Saleen Supercharger installed on my 2006 Screaming Yellow GT!! It is AMAZING!!! They treated us with the greateast respect and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND them to everyone for their mustang add on needs!!! I just think it is wonderful that there are still great people in the world who are caring, down to earth and respectful.. WAY TO GO BRENSPEED!!! Dave, Mike and Brent, thanks guys!!!! ( Brenspeed )

Breenspeed is offering (October Special) free installation on the Saleen kits! If you drive from out of state they give you $150.00 fuel credit, let you stay in the guest house for free and give you a vehicle to drive! Also, if you pay with cash they give you another $140.00 credit on top of the other discounts!! Where else would you get that kind of Customer Service!?

Our car after install dynoed at 507 HP at the crank and 431 at the tire!! It is not the same vehicle...... The power is a new learning curve, you just have to know when to respect it! I smile everytime i press the gas......
Old 10/10/08, 04:13 AM
V6 Member

Wish we had a Brenspeed on the west coast....... That's a hell of a deal they have going.
Old 10/10/08, 09:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by blown red hot gt
If your still looking for a Saleen blower after x-mas,Email me i have a brand new one on the shelf,that i dont want anymore i will sell it to you for $5,500 paid $6,000 before the price went up.I live in Calgary.But if you get one thats fine.
I will keep you in mind. I have family in Medicine Hat that I plan to visit early Spring. Might just swing by and pick it up on the way! I just have to wait for our contract to be ratified and then $$$$
Old 10/10/08, 11:55 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by scramblr
Just an observation, but make sure that braided hose from the drivers side plenum to the PCV is not a vacuum hose but instead a reinforced hose that won't deteriorate with the heat/gases/oil. It will collapse in itself if it's not made for that application.

The orginal hose is inside of the SS braided line. I just brought a larger SS Braided hose.
Old 10/10/08, 12:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dly
The orginal hose is inside of the SS braided line. I just brought a larger SS Braided hose.

Quick Reply: Question for those with a Saleen supercharger