GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Question for those with Hurst Comp Plus

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/10, 03:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those with Hurst Comp Plus

OK, so I've read an assortment of threads regarding various shifters and the concerns about the Hurst "rattle". What my question is....Is there a way to tell if you will have a rattle based on the the part number or date of manufacture (basically anything that is on the box label), or is it just a crap shoot? The reason I ask, is that I can pick up a Hurst for about $100-$150 less than the MGW and actually prefer the looks of the Hurst slightly. However, with that said, the last thing I want in my car is an annoying rattle. As for the "notchiness", I'm not as concerned with that, as I'm assuming the feel is similar to the shifter in the 2010 GT500's and I really liked that shifter.
Old 5/8/10, 03:52 PM
Cobra R Member

I bought my Hurst shifter almost 3 years ago and have never had any problems. You could contact their tech support directly, they should be able to help you; (818) 483 -1366

There's also Subzero05, he's on the forum and works for B&M. He may be able to answer your questions and hook you up as well.

Last edited by WaltM; 5/8/10 at 04:00 PM.
Old 5/8/10, 04:07 PM
GT Member

I've got a Hurst here I'll send you if you want to pay the shipping. I had a issue after I lowered my car and i think if if I would have just loosened it up and did some adjustments it would have been fine. Now that being said, I put in a MGW and it is a much nicer shfter then the hurst. PM me if interested.

Last edited by mdun6; 5/8/10 at 04:12 PM.
Old 5/8/10, 04:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mdun6
I've got a Hurst here I'll send you if you want to pay the shipping. I had a issue after I lowered my car and i think if if I would have just loosened it up and it some adjustments it would have been fine. Now that being said, I put in a MGW and it is a much nicer shfter then the hurst. PM me if interested.
That's very nice of you.

I would take him up on this and then ship the shifter to Hurst for a free rebuild; you cant go wrong.
Old 5/8/10, 04:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by WaltM
That's very nice of you.

I would take him up on this and then ship the shifter to Hurst for a free rebuild; you cant go wrong.
There is nothing wrong with it and I have all the peices. After I lowered my car I think the rear mount/bushing needed adjusted is all.
Old 5/8/10, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

mdun6....PM sent.

That would be awesome and a great way for me to give it a shot without spending a ton of $$$.

Last edited by UMich97; 5/8/10 at 04:20 PM.
Old 5/8/10, 04:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by UMich97
That would be awesome and a great way for me to give it a shot without spending a ton of $$$.
An easy answer. I wish I had that luck !
Old 5/8/10, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, that's very cool mdun6!
Old 5/8/10, 04:40 PM
Cobra R Member

FYI...

The included instructions were printed incorrectly on some models (mine were as well). When you're ready to install, call Hurst and get the latest and greatest.
Old 5/8/10, 04:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Cool. Will do. Thanks Walt.
Old 5/8/10, 04:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by UMich97
Cool. Will do. Thanks Walt.
The new style MGW is a one peice design like the Hurst. The MGW required me to lower the transmission cross member to install. Although the Hurst installation instructions did not tell me to lower the cross member i would it makes it much easier to get in.
Old 5/8/10, 05:03 PM
Cobra R Member

The new style MGW is a one peice design like the Hurst. The MGW required me to lower the transmission cross member to install. Although the Hurst installation instructions did not tell me to lower the cross member i would it makes it much easier to get in.

I was able to get the shifter in without removing any parts. But the photo "diagram" in the instructions were printed backwards. My buddy that helped, reads blueprints for a living and caught the error. My car is also an '05 and didn't have an a-arm/k-member brace, so there was no obstruction.

Last edited by WaltM; 5/8/10 at 05:07 PM.
Old 5/8/10, 05:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by WaltM
I was able to get the shifter in without removing any parts. But the photo "diagram" in the instructions were printed backwards. My buddy that helped reads blueprints for a living and caught the error. My car is also an '05 and didn't have an a-arm/k-member brace, so there was no obstruction.

My car is a 2008 and yes I put in the Hurst without removing lowering the trans cross member but, I think lowering the cross member will help him get the bolt through the shifter and into the transmission alot easier and help him not cross thread that bolt. I would definatly tighten up the cross member before tightening up that bolt to the trans.
Old 5/8/10, 05:19 PM
Cobra R Member

My car is a 2008 and yes I put in the Hurst without removing lowering the trans cross member but, I think lowering the cross member will help him get the bolt through the shifter and into the transmission alot easier and help him not cross thread that bolt. I would definatly tighten up the cross member before tightening up that bolt to the trans.

He should be fine. As long as he follows some general directions, he'll be good to go. I actually went by these directions http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...fter/index.php