GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Question for those with Corsa axlebacks...

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/06, 12:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those with Corsa axlebacks...

On a loudness scale of 1 to 10, if stock is a 1, how do you rate the Corsas:

- at idle?
- at normal acceleration?
- at WOT?

TIA
Old 7/14/06, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I surely hope no one says anything higher than "5", because IMO, SLP Loudmouths would only get a "7"... open headers would be a "10".
Old 7/14/06, 01:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by don_w
I surely hope no one says anything higher than "5", because IMO, SLP Loudmouths would only get a "7"... open headers would be a "10".
99% of Mustang drivers don't drive with open headers........but I get your point lol .

Rash- if you want to compare loudness on a scale that would include a midpipe of some sort and mufflers, then here is my take on the Corsas, with stock midpipe:

Idle: 2
Accel: 4
WOT: 5.5

If you add an offroad H pipe:

Idle: 3.5
Accel: 6
WOT: 8

At Brenspeed's last open dyno day, my car with factory manifolds, offroad H, and Corsas was darn near the loudest car there- which included all different kinds of cars from twin turbo '05s, nitrous injected WS6's running offroad pipes with Flowmasters, and older muscle cars (like '70's Novas) running open headers. Even Brent remarked about how wickedly loud my car was on his dyno. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to brag about it being loud, because right now I'm getting ready to order the SLP catted X pipe to quiet it down a little- it's getting too loud for my tastes.
Old 7/14/06, 01:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

thanks tom.

to clarify, let's keep it axlebacks only, everything else stock since that would be my set up. thanks for the h pipe numbers though, in case I ever go that route.
Old 7/14/06, 01:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just axlebacks only compared to stock, your idle will only be slighly louder but much different in tone. Acceration will be noticeably louder and WOT will be much louder. All with great tone, and no drone.
Old 7/14/06, 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to go with the Corsa's when my 07 comes in. I took a ride in GRAYPNY's GT w/ the Borla stingers and they are a bit too loud for my tastes (which shows I am getting more conservative as I get older). I run more or less a set of straight pipes (H-pipe with bypass mufflers http://www.powereffects.com/indexmain.html ) on my 69 and they are loud and drone like crazy, somehow I like the loudness on the 69 but want something a bit quieter on the 07.
Old 7/15/06, 06:37 AM
Bullitt Member

I think there is two way to rate it.

Cold Car
idle 3
accel 3
wot 7

Warm car
idle 0.8
accel 2
wot 7

PS i'm auto so it's not exactly the same a manual.
Old 7/15/06, 12:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by enitalp
I think there is two way to rate it.

Cold Car
idle 3
accel 3
wot 7

Warm car
idle 0.8
accel 2
wot 7

PS i'm auto so it's not exactly the same a manual.
I have an auto too. So you think the Corsa's are actually more quiet than stock at idle when the car is warm?
Old 7/16/06, 07:47 AM
GT Member

Idle - 1
Accel - 2
WOT - 5

They were too quiet for me. When driving aound a parking lot (like at a car show) Corsas were no louded than stock. In fact EVERYONE thought it was stock until they looked under it.
The sound "quality" is top notch.

Tom, do Corsa's "wake up" w/ an offroad pipe in the above situation? The SLP's are about the "loud level" I like, but their sound "quality" is only fair at best.
I still have my Corsa's in the shed and may re-visit them if I can make them sound a bunch louder.
Old 7/16/06, 01:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

In my opinion, the Corsas with an offroad H is a pretty loud setup. My previous car was an '04 Mach 1 with Borla stingers, and it was definetly not this loud. My other current mustang is my '92 GT which has an offroad X pipe with Dynomax turbo mufflers- you can't even hear it compared to this car.

I will say though, before the Corsas I had the stainless Bassani kit with this same offroad H, and the Bassanis were a touch louder but also had alot of unwanted resonance and noticeable trumpeting right at 2500 rpm. All the unwanted noise is gone with the Corsas installed.

I'm still really debating on trying the SLP X pipe with removeable cats- if I do, I'll post back and let you know my thoughts. There is a guy on the corral that soon will be installing the SLP long tubes, SLP X pipe, and already has his Corsa's installed. I am really curious to see what his thoughts are with that setup.

Tom
Old 7/17/06, 06:59 AM
GT Member

Are you going to sell your offroad pipe? If so, I may want it. . . . . .
Old 7/17/06, 10:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by BillR
Are you going to sell your offroad pipe? If so, I may want it. . . . . .
I'll keep that in mind Bill......thanks.