GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Question about tunes

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/05, 06:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question about tunes. I am very new to them. I see that some people say they have like the diablo predator tune and then they say they also have another tune such as the SCT Xcalibrator tune. Can you put one tune in and then another on top of it? Wouldn't that just erase the old tune? Is it better to just purchase one and then just do the upgrades as they come out? Like I said, I am new to this and thinking of doing it for the first time with my '05 and any advice would help. Thanks. :scratch:
Old 5/2/05, 07:20 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe you cannot "stack" tunes. You are correct that when you go to flash the computer it overrides the current programming with whatever you have for an update. Therefore is you flash it with the SCT and then with a Diablo, it will only have the Diablo tune. You would have to upload the SCT if you wanted that one back, etc etc etc.
Old 5/2/05, 07:39 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@May 2, 2005, 7:23 AM
I believe you cannot "stack" tunes. You are correct that when you go to flash the computer it overrides the current programming with whatever you have for an update. Therefore is you flash it with the SCT and then with a Diablo, it will only have the Diablo tune. You would have to upload the SCT if you wanted that one back, etc etc etc.

How cool would that be if the ECU could store several tunes and you could switch between them via the message center.....one can only dream
Old 5/2/05, 07:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by I8URVTEC@May 2, 2005, 8:55 AM
I have a question about tunes. I am very new to them. I see that some people say they have like the diablo predator tune and then they say they also have another tune such as the SCT Xcalibrator tune. Can you put one tune in and then another on top of it? Wouldn't that just erase the old tune? Is it better to just purchase one and then just do the upgrades as they come out? Like I said, I am new to this and thinking of doing it for the first time with my '05 and any advice would help. Thanks. :scratch:

No , you should not stack them. :nono: I have both the SCT and the Diablo and you need to reinstall the factory tune before you change between them. Either one of them will be increasing values based on what the factory settings are. If one of the tuners adds 10 degrees of timing it is intended to add it to the stock setting. If you already have a tune in the ECU with the values raised 10 degrees , then it will be raising those values by another 10 degrees ...
Old 5/2/05, 09:37 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it is possible to stack them. You are overwriting existing information when you upload a tune.
Old 5/2/05, 12:56 PM
FR500 Member

What would be really cool is if you could have multiple rear end ratios setup and quickly change ratios for street/race conditions. One can only dream... :sleep:
Old 5/2/05, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by HOTLAP+May 2, 2005, 7:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HOTLAP @ May 2, 2005, 7:42 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-adrenalin@May 2, 2005, 7:23 AM

How cool would that be if the ECU could store several tunes and you could switch between them via the message center.....one can only dream
[/b][/quote]

87 during the week, 93 on the w-end..an idea that could make someone smarter than myself some $$$$$..
Old 5/2/05, 01:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@May 2, 2005, 7:23 AM
Ok, that is what I had figured to be true. The reason I was wondering was with the cost of these things $250+ each I was wondering why some people had listed that they had both for their cars. I guess some people just buy them both so they can try out different tunes?
Old 5/2/05, 01:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by I8URVTEC+May 2, 2005, 3:05 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(I8URVTEC @ May 2, 2005, 3:05 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-adrenalin@May 2, 2005, 7:23 AM
Ok, that is what I had figured to be true. The reason I was wondering was with the cost of these things $250+ each I was wondering why some people had listed that they had both for their cars. I guess some people just buy them both so they can try out different tunes?
[/b][/quote]

I only bought the SCT because that's what Steeda had working for their CAI and CM Plates when I got them. Once Diablo came out supporting the Steeda CAI and CM Plates I bought one of those , since it did so much more than the SCT and I would have preferred it in the first place ...